Nissan EVSE - will it charge Ford Focus electric ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I upgraded my Nissan EVSE to 240V using evseupgrade.com. It works great.

My friend just purchased a Ford Focus electric. Will my EVSE work on his car?

Should work just fine! The J1772 standard means that any standard charger will work with any standard car. I'm sure someone here could chime in with experience in this particular situation.

Yes, it should work. I think the Ford has a 30 amp charger, and the EVSEupgrade for the Nissan LEAF has been available in 12, 16, 20 and 25 amp versions.

It will just charge slower than 30 amps (assuming the Ford has a 30 amp charger)

Yes. We used the EVSE Upgrade Rev.2 from the LEAF as the primary charging station on our Focus Electric for many months with no problems. I eventually built an OpenEVSE so didn't have a need for the LEAF EVSE any more and sold it, but there was no issue charging the Focus from it.

It won't work on the RAV4 EV or Tesla Model S, but shouldn't have an issue with any other EV.

Devin said:
Yes. We used the EVSE Upgrade Rev.2 from the LEAF as the primary charging station on our Focus Electric for many months with no problems. I eventually built an OpenEVSE so didn't have a need for the LEAF EVSE any more and sold it, but there was no issue charging the Focus from it.

It won't work on the RAV4 EV or Tesla Model S, but shouldn't have an issue with any other EV.

The later 2013 and newer Nissan LEAF / Panasonic EVSE will work on Tesla powered vehicles:

1) Toyota RAV4 EV
2) Mercedes B-Class ED
3) Tesla Model S, X, 3 with supplied J1772 adaptor
4) Tesla Roadster with aftermarket adaptor

Back