Need a recommendation for an EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafer123

Hi
I am a new user of a 2015 Nissan Leaf, model S with QC.
I just installed a 240 V outlet with a 50 Amp circuit breaker, gauge 6 cables, and a NEMA 14-50 outlet in garage.
Given that, I went on Nissan Leaf Wiki, and searched for EVSEs compatible for my setup. There were only 2 listed, one by EV Pros (on sale at Amazon for $ 639) and a Leviton one (for $ 900 plus).

Are there other, more inexpensive options out there? I have heard of Open EVSEs, but I am not good at soldering. I can change a computer's RAM, Hard drive and something simple like that, but I am not skilled at soldering. I just want the fastest charging possible at home, given my electrical layout in my garage.

I am open to your recommendations. I am not sure if I should go on craigslist, or on homedepot.com or any other place. I am afraid I will get the wrong kind. Any help to a newbie would be sincerely appreciated. On this forum, I have found very useful advice, and am impressed with suggestions, and responses. If you know of a particular resource, and want to only reveal it to me, you can PM me.
Thanks in advance.

The For Sale forum on MNL sometimes has newly built OpenEVSE's for sale. If not, you might be able to commission one with the options you want from one of the regular builders. I paid 425 for mine from GlennD.

Clipper Creek has a good reputation, and it sells a unit with a 14-50 plug for $644: HCS-40P
I have a lower power Clipper Creek unit, and it's working great.

Home Depot offers the highly rated Schneider EVlink, but you'll need to add a plug to it if you want to use your 14-50 outlet. They are offering a $100 discount/coupon code, which makes it $499: Schneider EVlink
A friend installed one of these for his SL and he is very happy with it.

billg said:
Clipper Creek has a good reputation, and it sells a unit with a 14-50 plug for $644: HCS-40P
I have a lower power Clipper Creek unit, and it's working great.

Home Depot offers the highly rated Schneider EVlink, but you'll need to add a plug to it if you want to use your 14-50 outlet. They are offering a $100 discount/coupon code, which makes it $499: Schneider EVlink
A friend installed one of these for his SL and he is very happy with it.
Thanks for your suggestions.
A couple of points: Schneider EV says it is for 30Amps. Shouldn't I go for one which charges at 40Amps since I have a 50 Amp circuit breaker? Second, what plug do I need? Or are you referring to an adapter that will fit into my existing 14-50 outlet?
thanks for helping out.

A 40 amp EVSE won't benefit your Leaf any more than a 30 amp one, as the Leaf won't accept a higher rate of charging. It will benefit you if in the future you get an EV that can accept a higher rate of charging, like a Tesla. I would say that it's worth the extra $145 for a bit of future proofing now that the necessary wiring is already in place.

The Schneider unit does have one advantage over the Clipper Creek, and that's a delayed start timer, as the Leaf S does not have a start timer (it's end-only). That is useful if you are concerned that the Leaf may start charging before your electric utility's off-peak rate goes into effect.

leafer123 said:
Second, what plug do I need? Or are you referring to an adapter that will fit into my existing 14-50 outlet?
You will need to buy or build something like this. The EVlink is designed to be hardwired to the circuit, but several people have added the cable & plug to make the unit portable.

Pick the EVSE you want that meets your maximum amperage and change your outlet. Outlets are cheap. If you get one that's meant to be hard wired, just attach a plug to your EVSE that fits your outlet.

Are with Southern California Edison? If yes, then you could qualify for this program:

http://insideevs.com/live-california-want-free-juicebox/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

emotorwerks said:
Are with Southern California Edison? If yes, then you could qualify for this program:

http://insideevs.com/live-california-want-free-juicebox/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, I have applied for it as I am in SCE territory. They keep on pushing the date for "giving" them away, and that concerns me.

leafer123 said:
emotorwerks said:

Yes, I have applied for it as I am in SCE territory. They keep on pushing the date for "giving" them away, and that concerns me.
I think they are still working on the hardware. It could be worth the wait. Of course, you might need to get an EVSE installed earlier. Are you planning to get a NEMA 14-50 outlet or hardwire the unit?

emotorwerks said:
leafer123 said:
emotorwerks said:

I think they are still working on the hardware. It could be worth the wait. Of course, you might need to get an EVSE installed earlier. Are you planning to get a NEMA 14-50 outlet or hardwire the unit?
Based on their recommendations, I did exactly what they asked me to do in terms of installing the outlet. They wanted 14-50 outlet and Installed one with that specification.
I can wait until they let me know, but I wish there was a time certain deadline that I can look forward to.

I really like the openevse platform. I have built many openevse's. Here is one of them on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OpenEVSE-EV-Charging-Station-EVSE-adjustable-up-to-30-Amps-Prius-Leaf-Fit-/161450575031?pt=Electric_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item25973444b7&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back