OpenEVSE Basic Kit

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris1howell

I just released a new OpenEVSE Basic kit, it is built around a new custom poly carbonate enclosure with full color graphics. It can be built for about $350 total including input cable and J1772 cable. Both the 32A and 40A cable from Quick Charge Power work great with this kit. The 40A cable will allow this unit to be very portable.

http://store.openevse.com/products/openevse-30a-basic-charge-station-combo

IMG_20141001_172358_2_1024x1024.jpg

IMG_20141001_173241_1_1024x1024.jpg

IMG_20141001_173444_1_1024x1024.jpg

That's really nice. I know you can't guarantee it's waterproof since you aren't building the finished product, but how would you describe the seal on that case?

I see you include the LED too. Where does it shine through? I clicked the link to the build guide and it links to the original 30amps evse with display

Chris, unlike many other EVSEs, why does your OpenEVSE kit include dual fuses inside the enclosure? They take up a lot of space, and no doubt add appreciable cost, but if the OpenEVSE is connected to a dedicated AC outlet or hard wired to an AC power panel, wouldn't a dual circuit breaker to that circuit be adequate electrical safety protection?

If it is on a balanced circuit with appropriately sized breakers, the fuses aren't needed. This box is meant to be portable so it has them so that it can safely be used on a larger circuit like a 50A RV outlet.

AlanSqB said:
That's really nice. I know you can't guarantee it's waterproof since you aren't building the finished product, but how would you describe the seal on that case?

The enclosure is designed for outdoor industral electronics and is NEMA 4X rated the cable exit through watertight glands. The enclosure should be great for outdoor applications.

VegasBrad said:
I see you include the LED too. Where does it shine through? I clicked the link to the build guide and it links to the original 30amps evse with display

A new build guide will be up in a few days. The LED is included as a bonus and is very helpfull for testing and troubleshooting. The intent is to take it out once testing is complete but one could easily mount it and install a watertight light pipe to maintain a watertight seal.

AlanSqB said:
If it is on a balanced circuit with appropriately sized breakers, the fuses aren't needed. This box is meant to be portable so it has them so that it can safely be used on a larger circuit like a 50A RV outlet.

Yes, exactly. Its all about ballance. A 30A J1772 plug with a 50 AC plug could be quite dangerous without any protection. This is a very small unit and many will take it on the road with a handfull of adaptors. I would not do this eithout fuses or encourage others to do the same.

Now a 30A J1772 with 30A components on a hardwired 30A circuit/breaker the fuses are redundant.

I'm not sure I understand the rationale for fuses. Isn't a "50A" plug-in outlet on a dedicated circuit, which surely has its own circuit breaker protection, so how can it become unbalanced with only one plug-in load? I suppose the AC voltage from each hot line to ground could become unbalanced, but that would be true with any outlet rated for single phase 250Vac.

It's unbalanced because in the situation described above, you could potentially have 50 or more amps flowing through components that are designed for a max of 30 amps.

If you are using 50A contactor, 50A rated cable and all other in-line components are rated for 50A, you don't need the fuses on the 50A circuit. That box, as sold, contains components only rated for 30A (relays) so it needs the fuses.

Back