240v plug to garage cost

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andolyn

About what should I expect to pay for electrician to run 80' from my main panel to garage and Rv plug for me to use EVSE?
I was quoted 600$ Install and parts. Does this sound about right? Guys says about 80' 8 gauge cable. This is the set up im going to go with the box he glenn has up for sale.

That sounds fair.

Just the wire is $2 to $3 per foot. This is serious wire! The breaker is another $20 or $30. Then you need a box, cover, clamps, connectors, etc, which is probably another $40 to $60. And all of those costs are wholesale. You may not like it, but it is accepted for an electrician to charge a profit on materials. It will take roughly 2 hours to do the job and might include the electrician plus assistant, plus time driving to and from the site.

Make sure it is a licensed electrician and that they go through any required town or city inspections. Each locality has slightly different requirements. Inspection fees should be included in your quote.

If the job is done incorrectly, it could cause a house fire or electrocution hazard. So having a qualified inspector check the job is really valuable.

Bob

It may fair for that long of a run. You may be able to get a few bucks knocked off by having the electrician wire it as 240 only which will use one less conductor than your rv plug.

If he's licensed and this includes pulling a permit, it might be an OK deal. Hard to say without knowing more information. It doesn't sound outrageous though. I'm not an electrician, but I would run #6, just for better future-proofing, but #8 should work fine for a typical 30A EVSE.

$600 sounds quite fair. A coworker friend who lives in the SF Bay Area just got a 250V, 50A (NEMA 14-50R) outlet installed in his garage to use with a Leviton 32A L2 EVSE. Parts and labor for the new outlet cost $400. The job took about 2 hours including the EVSE installation. His AC wiring only had to be a short run of maybe 5 to 10' from the main panel on the outside of the garage. He went with #6 gauge to be future proofed.

Back