2012 SL charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete1burn

So I have a few comments trying to glean information in other threads, but I figured I'd make my own in the proper subforum. Haha

I'm picking up my 2012 SL in a week or so and I want to have a L2 charger ready for it. I have been bouncing back and forth on a few ideas, and I wanted to ask the question, even though I know it's been hashed out in other places.

The units i have it down to are:

Clipper Creek LCS-20 (only 15a so not future proof, no wireless monitoring, but is the cheapest)
JuiceBox basic or even premium, if I can ever find out what cables I need. Has the benefits of a full L2 charger, can even get wireless monitoring, timing, etc, and is outdoors.
The Schneider EVlink30 on Home Depot for $100 off. Would need an outdoor enclosure, no timed charge start, no remote monitoring.
the OpenEVSE for sale in the Private Sale forum.
Cheapest would be sending in my cable for the EVSEUpgrade, but I can't be without my L1 cable until I have an alternate charging method.

I was looking for outdoor certified, remote monitoring, and delayed charge start, relying on the built in Leaf timer to turn it off.

Cost is obviously a factor, otherwise I'd get a JB Premium or HCS-40.

So if you can tell me which of those has good features and is reliable, but not incredibly expensive (want to stay around $500) I would greatly appreciate it.

And of course, if I've missed any options that you think I should look into, I'm all ears. My brother-in-law is an electrician so he can help with the outlet. Thank you!

For outdoor use I would go with a factory unit. It is weatherproof and UL approved.

The kit type units like the Juicebox and OpenEVSE may work for you. The main problem is if it stops working you are the warranty. If that is good for you then all is gold. I have built many OpenEVSE and 2 JuiceBox basic. All work fine and pass my simulator. You can save a lot of money and both units have proven to be reliable. It is a fact though, that anything fails when you least expect it.

The kit Chris offers with his housing is a work of art. He now claims it is splash resistant but not waterproof. There is always some idiot out there that will put the unit into a pond and expect it to work!

Thanks! I'm ok with being the warranty if it means I get a setup that does what I want it to without breaking the bank. I worry somewhat about burning down my landlord's house. :)

The CC units only have 90 day warranties anyway.

Which do people think are better, the JuiceBox or OpenEVSE? The JuiceBox would be like $660 for everything. I'm really hoping to spend 400-500

Pete1burn said:
The CC units only have 90 day warranties anyway.
:?: :?: :?:

From their website:
"ClipperCreek, Inc. offers a full 1 year manufactures warranty on all of our CS Series products and a 3 year manufactures warranty on all of our HCS, LCS, ECS, ACS, and PCS series products. The warranty covers parts and factory labor."

Full warranty details can be found in the online manual for each product.

My brother in law is an electrician but doesn't know anything about EVSEs.

I'm thinking about doing the EVSEUpgrade for now. He sent me what he thinks I'll need. Does this sound right?

"You would need roughly 100 feet of 12/2, an out side 1 gang box, an L6-30 receptacle, and a cover for it, and the breaker."

If I'm only using the EVSEUpgrade cable, what size breaker do I need? It should only be going 15a if I'm not mistaken

Brother in law came over today and said there is no room left for a 240v outlet. Guess I'm stuck with L1 charging and home and L2 at work.

There are parking spots with outlets next to them that the building guys told me I could use. It should be enough. 12 hours of L1 charging at home to get to work then 8 hours on 120 at work.

We'll be moving soon anyway.

Back