Level 2 Installation Price? (New Leaf Owner)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puttputtgoestothe

Hi, everybody! I am trying to figure out what a "good" price is to run power to my new charger.

I am a new (happy) Leaf owner with very little knowledge, so sorry if I ask any stupid questions.

Summary: I want to run power from my breaker box through an existing 100-foot-long conduit to a NEMA 6-50R or NEMA 6-50P outlet. I live in the Chicago area and want to know how much to pay.

Long Version: I just got an AeroVironment charger from my dealer (I can't identify the model number; looks like EVSE-P, maybe?). The specifications on the charger state that it needs 30 amps, 250 volts, and its plug looks like a NEMA 6-50R (maybe P). I need a plug with the appropriate electrical properties to be placed in my garage and hooked up to a breaker box in my basement.

My breaker box is about 100ft away from my garage through an existing conduit. This conduit leads from my breaker box to an existing 240 volt, 20 amp outlet; I'm hoping that this will make the job easy for my electrician. I don't know whether my breaker box and the rest of my electrical supply system have enough capacity.

I would be interested in what prices people would expect/have gotten for this service, both in the case where my system already has enough capacity and in the case where it doesn't. I'm in the (upscale) Chicago suburbs.

Thanks in advance, and I am happy to provide more information about my system and situation.

Too many variables to give a price. I got six quotes from various electricians, they varied all over the place. One guy even said that it couldn't be done!!! Ended up paying $2,000 for labor and materials to have conduit run up the wall of our parking garage, about 30 feet along the high ceiling and down to a separate breaker box that had to be installed. It took about 10 hours for 2 guys to complete the job. Price did not include the EVSE.

Low cost solution. Buy the LCS-20 from clippercreek and use the 20 amp outlet as is.
http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/charging-station-lcs-20-level-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Higher cost solution.
Use the existing conduit and pull in heavier 6 gauge wire for the NEMA 6-50 outlet. This assumes the conduit is big enough for the bigger wire. Change the breaker to match the 6-50 outlet.

The 30 amp AV charge station will work faster than the 20 amp clipper creek. You just have to decide if the cost is worth it or not.

Make sure you get more than one bid because like Stoaty said prices can vary a lot.

You already have a 20A/240V circuit. Check the wire. If it is #10 then replace the breaker to a 30 amp, and the plug to match the EVSE you get (up to a 30A circuit rating).

edit: 30A circuit rating=24A charge rate

If you really have a 30A unit then it needs a 40A breaker and wiring. A 30A breaker is only good for 24a, a 20A breaker is good for 16A. An EVSE is considered a continuous load and the breaker must be 125% of the load.

puttputtgoestothe said:
Hi, everybody! I am trying to figure out what a "good" price is to run power to my new charger.

Summary: I want to run power from my breaker box through an existing 100-foot-long conduit to a NEMA 6-50R or NEMA 6-50P outlet. I live in the Chicago area and want to know how much to pay.

Long Version: I just got an AeroVironment charger from my dealer (I can't identify the model number; looks like EVSE-P, maybe?). The specifications on the charger state that it needs 30 amps, 250 volts, and its plug looks like a NEMA 6-50R (maybe P). I need a plug with the appropriate electrical properties to be placed in my garage and hooked up to a breaker box in my basement.

Thanks in advance, and I am happy to provide more information about my system and situation.
If this is your device: AV-P on Amazon, maybe you can return it to your dealer and save $350 by getting a comparable unit from Clipper Creek, the HCS-40P.

Sorry, but I don't have any idea on the cost to run the circuit. I spent $90 on parts and $100 for an electrician to run a new 30 amp circuit 50 feet to a 6-30 outlet, but that's in Texas and the electrician is a friend.

In regard to terminology, a 6-50R is a Receptacle/outlet (female) and a 6-50P is a Plug (male).

Thanks much! Just an update: I got my installation done last month (on an excellent friend deal, so probably not very useful as evidence).

Back