Clipper Creek EVSEs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garygid

It has been reported that a Clipper Creek EVSE is available, for over $2000.

Thes topic to consolidate specific Clipper Creek EVSE information, which is now just mentioned in many other threads.

THe CC EVSE is far more durable than the AV model, these are commercial devices and were built as such with good internal build quality. CC is also supposed to release a lower priced model as well.

garygid said:
Join EAA, buy it this year, then with the tax credit, only about $1200.
Something to consider?

sure, you might even be able to get the upgraded model for not much more, worth asking about.

I have seen that one in person and seems honking big and ugly for a home evse
Take a look at 3333 Bear Steet Costa Mesa in the lower level west parking
You are in OC right Gary?

smkettner said:
I have seen that one in person and seems honking big and ugly for a home evse
Take a look at 3333 Bear Steet Costa Mesa in the lower level west parking
You are in OC right Gary?

Yes, but it will NEVER break, and if your having a bad day, you can have a go at it with a sledge hammer, and it will be just fine :)

For those of you that were/are MINI E pioneers, Clipper Creek now has an SAE-J1772 connector cable available to convert your existing EVSE to serve the Nissan Leaf

Just buy the Tesla model and change the plug and you have a CC 80A EVSE. They sell it at a loss I believe.

EVDRIVER said:
Just buy the Tesla model and change the plug and you have a CC 80A EVSE. They sell it at a loss I believe.

The Tesla portable model is limited to 40A, needs the J-1772 conversion and is $1,500.00
http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/charging/products/universal-mobile-connector-available-october-2009

The Full size, wall mountable Clipper Creek EVSE's they sell (anywhere from 30A to 90A) cost $1,950.00 and still need the J-1772 connector changed out...
http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/charging/products/high-power-connector

still expensive, but if you buy the higher power 40A-90A model, along with the J-1772 conversion, you would not need to ever buy another EVSE, most likely, for any EV you will ever own. It's not cheap, but it's better than handing that money over to those scoundrels @ Aerovironment.

They even have the installation PDF available:
http://webarchive.teslamotors.com/display_data/home_connector_installation.pdf

http://eaaev.org/pdfs/ClipperCreekWebAdFinal.pdf
and
http://eaaev.org/index.html

(yes, this link was earlier in this thread, full link posted here, along with the text)

CS-40 for $2250... can also be upgraded to the larger 100A model to "future proof" your EVSE capability

"If you are planning to take delivery of a Nissan LEAF,
Chevy Volt, even later next year, get this charging station
today! Federal credits expire at year end (12/31/2010), as
will this special discount! The EAA proudly offers a special
discount on the Clipper Creek Inc. Model CS-40 to its
members only. Not a member? Signup to take advantage of
this offer!
The CS-40 (30 Amp charge rate) is a Level 2 Electric Vehicle
Supply Equipment (EVSE) charge station from ClipperCreek
built in compliance with NEC625 and SAE-J1772™, which
ensures its compatibility with the Nissan Leaf, the Chevy
Volt, Ford Fusion BEV and all vehicles coming from major
automakers. Wall or pedestal mount. Full specifications here
Original list price is $3000 but member special
price $2250 plus S/H ($50) FOB Auburn, CA
An optional upgrade to a CS-100 will permit full 75
amp capability for future high powered vehicles. To
order contact:
ClipperCreek, Inc. 11850 Kemper Road, Auburn, CA 95603
[email protected]"

I just placed an order for the CS-30 model, also available through the EAA program for $2250. I already have a 30A circuit in my garage and therefore will have an extremely easy install with this model, though limited to 5.76kW (way more than the LEAF can currently take anyway). The CS-100 is the only model that costs more, $2550 IIRC. Obviously this unit is a lot more expensive than the AV one, but for me the cost is about the same as the AV installed price due to the ability to use my existing circuit (though I would have self-installed the AV unit anyway). And as others have stated, it's a lot beefier than the AV unit.

I'll update this thread when I receive it...

Jay

Do you mean the CS-40 (for a 40-amp circuit) that provides 30 (or 32?) amps to the EV?

If not, I guess I did not realize they had a CS-30 (for a 30-amp circuit), providing 24 amps to the EV.

Maybe they just set the Control Pilot in the CS-40 down from 30 (or 32?) to 24 amps, and that is then "presto", a CS-30?

Nope - there is a CS-30 model to match up with a 30A breaker (therefore able to supply 24A). They have models starting at the 30A level and then going up by increments of 10A to the 100A model (80A charge current). Only the CS-100 costs more though, so I wouldn't be surprised if the other ones weren't internally adjustable via a rotary switch. This is how the original Tesla charging station was set up - not sure about the one now (which is manufactured by CC as mentioned above).

Jay

Just reporting in that my CS-30 has arrived - ordered on Friday, shipped Monday, got here Tuesday (today), so this is a unit that is definitely available! And I imagine the other CC models are much the same. It is indeed industrial looking, but appears to be of excellent quality overall and comes with good documentation. I feel like this unit will last a good long time and is a reasonable solution for my particular install, where I have an available 30A circuit and am capable of pulling my own permit (if even necessary) and completing the install for very low cost.

It may be a while (but before the end of the year!), but will update with a final install pic... The operational shakedown will be a bit later but already I can report that there is an internal test program - need your DVM but no special instrumentation as inferred by AV. Although their test is likely similar.

Jay

Is the Max-Current setting (Control Pilot signal) fixed (at 24 amps), or can you (the installer/user) change it to another (usually lower) value, like 16A to use the CC-30 EVSE with a 20-amp circuit?

If so, how?
THANKS.

Gary,

No indication in the manual about changing settings, unlike the (original) Tesla unit. I may just take a look under the hood when I install it, but in any case would not expect it to be adjustable lower since this is the lowest capacity unit in their line.

Jay

Back