Juicebox Question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trcrev

Hi,
I bought the basic Juicebox kit w/ the J1772 cable already attached but not a plug. Does anyone know whether there would be an issue if I use a 3 prong 240v plug instead of the newer 4 prong ones? The outlet I want to use at home is an older 3 prong one and I'm hoping to not have to replace that...
Thanks!

Just a bit of explanation on why: The neutral wire in a 4-wire 240V outlet is used for L-N connections to get 120V.

This is because 240V devices sometimes have 120V electronics to cut production costs, as more parts can be shared with 120V versions. A home dryer is the best example of this, where a manufacturer might make gas and electric dryers. There is no reason to design two motors for different voltages, so they both will use the same 120V motor. The heater element runs on 240V, and is not present at all in a gas dryer. Kitchen stoves are the same, where the elements run on 240V, and the clock runs on 120V.

Back