Portable Level 2 EVSE for 2015 Nissan Leaf S with Quick Char

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishmonster5

I am loving my Leaf! I got a 2015 S with quick charge option about 10 days ago and am having so much fun with it. After a week of my weekday commute (~40 miles R/T) and a couple weekends I am starting to understand my charging needs. I live in a condo in Seattle (read rain) and don't want to mount/hardwire anything to the building. I would like to get a portable Level 2 charger that can handle rain.

Any suggestions for a portable level 2 that is made for outdoor use, is reputable and won't break the bank?

Thanks

Clipper Creeks sells two or three inexpensive, well-regarded units that fit your needs. They have a 3 year warranty and start at $400 plus about $20 shipping.

Thanks, Clipper Creek looks like it has good products. Is there an easy way to know which one will work for my car? It looks like there are different Amperages and plug types. I unfortunately don't know anything about electricity. I have an electrician who will be installing a 240V/50amp outlet in my parking stall and he just told me to get the charger and give him the specifications. I just want to make sure I get the right one.

You should be able to either order any of them with the plug you need, or they will ship it with bare wires and the Electrician can wire it in. For a really legal outdoor hookup, you want hardwired anyway.

Your Leaf S+QC has the faster 6.6 kW (6.0 actual to the battery) on board charger, so for maximum charging speed you will need an EVSE that can deliver 30 or more amps (6.6 kW / 240 volts = 27.5 amps).

Note though that if you will be using it in different outlets, getting the largest EVSE you can afford might limit your abilities to plug in on the road, because you can't plug a 30 amp EVSE into a circuit that can only handle 16 or 20 amps.

Since you are looking at a portable charging solution, seriously consider upgrading the stock Nissan EVSE to dual voltage operation by sending it and about $300 to EVSE Upgrade. http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&products_id=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Phil the owner is on this board under the username Ingineer and many Leafers have upgraded theirs through him. Check in the Marketplace section as Leafers facing the end of their leases often advertise them for sale with a part-exchange for an unmodified unit to give back with the car.

For the 2013+ North American Leafs, the EVSE-Upgraded OEM EVSE can be switched to draw either 16 or 20 amps, to give you charging flexibility. 20 amps won't charge your Leaf at the max speed, but unless the battery is very low you may not see much of a difference anyway.

If you want a "manufactured" dual-voltage solution, AeroVironment (the same company that makes the "official" charging station for Nissan USA) has a product called the TurboCord. The dual-voltage version is over twice as expensive as the EVSE upgrade ($649) and only supplies a maximum of 16 amps.

It really is up to you what you want. There is a lot out there. You probably want portable, rainproof, as well as L1 and L2, and variable wattage (amps). Probably as inexpensive as you can find.

Look at OpenEVSE, and JuiceBox. Although kits are available, fully assembled versions are offered as well. They seem to offer the least price with the greatest versitility (able to plug into any circuit) and yet get you the maximum 27.5A delivery your Leaf can accept (on a 40A circuit), and still accept 110V as well.

Back