My through-wall Level 2 install

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asimba2

My Leaf is an outside car since it is leased, while the two cars my wife and I own get the garage. I wanted an EVSE mounted inside the garage but needed the capability to get the J1772 handle outside without having to deal with passing the cord under the garage door opening. I started by building the openevse and mounting it to the inside wall.
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Next step was to drill a 1-1/2" hole through the stucco and interior sheetrock and I used electrical LB fittings inside and outside, with conduit in-between, to get the wire outside. I bought my friend's unused dummy J1772 that comes bundled with the Scheider Electric EVSEs, as it makes a perfect wall mount and place to hang the cord.
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

With 24' of cord I can reach across the driveway to the place where there's the most shade for afternoon charging and I can still pass the cord under the garage door for that rare occasion that the Leaf gets the garage. It's also close to the gas service line so if there's ever a gas leak, there will be a spectacular show at my house. (For what it's worth, the electrical panel is only a few feet from it too.)

It feels like a serious luxury having Level 2 charging at home, not to mention I no longer have to manually stop the garage door from crushing the charge cable.

asimba2 said:
My Leaf is an outside car since it is leased, while the two cars my wife and I own get the garage. I wanted an EVSE mounted inside the garage but needed the capability to get the J1772 handle outside without having to deal with passing the cord under the garage door opening. I started by building the openevse and mounting it to the inside wall.
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Next step was to drill a 1-1/2" hole through the stucco and interior sheetrock and I used electrical LB fittings inside and outside, with conduit in-between, to get the wire outside. I bought my friend's unused dummy J1772 that comes bundled with the Scheider Electric EVSEs, as it makes a perfect wall mount and place to hang the cord.
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

With 24' of cord I can reach across the driveway to the place where there's the most shade for afternoon charging and I can still pass the cord under the garage door for that rare occasion that the Leaf gets the garage. It's also close to the gas service line so if there's ever a gas leak, there will be a spectacular show at my house. (For what it's worth, the electrical panel is only a few feet from it too.)

It feels like a serious luxury having Level 2 charging at home, not to mention I no longer have to manually stop the garage door from crushing the charge cable.

Water, Natural Gas, Electricity, Three things that all way should be with in 2 feet of each other....

You may want to protect the cord from being dragged across the drive way, Saw this on the Atlanta FaceBook page:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201637632048980&set=pcb.653310074740202&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201637632208984&set=pcb.653310074740202&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cool way of protecting the cable as it goes under the Garage Door

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201647558657139&set=pcb.654294684641741&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ( & the 3 next Pix's)

Not a big deal but you might want to check your local building codes for minimum separation requirements between gas meters and electrical outlets. Some areas require a 3 foot separation.

LKK said:
Not a big deal but you might want to check your local building codes for minimum separation requirements between gas meters and electrical outlets. Some areas require a 3 foot separation.

The outlet is 3' away on the inside wall of the garage.

flyonpa--the Facebook links do not work, but I'm interested in seeing what you posted.

My EVSE is inside the garage, but sometimes aI want to charge the car outside. Jut a piece of plywood slightly thicker than the cord, with a notch cut into it:

flyonpa said:
Send you a PM

btw: What is the thing to the right of the charger Base unit?

Thanks for the info. I particularly think the cord wrap is a good idea.

The backlit blue panel is a weathersmart irrigation controller. There's a wireless rain and temperature sensor mounted outside. The unit has my zip code with historical temperatures and when it's colder than normal it dials back on irrigation, or if it's hotter it will add a little to the scheduled program. Best of all it has a tipping bucket inside to actually measure rainfall and it will suspend irrigation for a day up to many days depending on how much rainfall you get. It's fabulous for people that like to travel or don't like seasonally messing with the irrigation schedules.

Graycenphil--I was using something similar with the cord passing under the garage door, but it was my wife's biggest complaint with the car. Now it only takes a couple of seconds to plug in and it doesn't require opening and closing the garage door.

Back