Suggestion on a Local Plugin Pilot

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jitubats

Hi all,

I am a new owner for Nissan Leaf SL and am looking to install a EVSe at my home. I am onto the second day of my ownership and am already had my first running out of charge scare. ( Thats a story for another day ). Here is my current dilemma.

My local couty / Power company is doing a Pilot in which they are offering the following

1. Install a Second Meter + Provide a dedicated Rate for lower overnight charging rates = Free of Cost
2. Purchase a EVSE + Install it = They will pay 50% of the entire cost

I talked to them again today and they told me that my portion of the cost would be $1275-1300 which is 1/2 the cost of the EVSE. The EVSE they are installing is a modified Clipper Creek, which I believe is the HCS -40 or 60, I need to get more details on this.

Here is the FAQ on the product. -

http://www.pepco.com/my-home/save-money-and-conserve-energy/plug-in-vehicle-charging-pilot/frequently-asked-questions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maryland is now giving us 50% back on the cost of the EVSE ( which finally gets me to the final cost of 650 ).

My question is, is this something which makes financial sense or should I go ahead and find local electricians to go ahead and install the HCS-40/60 at home ?

Please advise.

Thanks,
JB

The lower rate on a second meter sounds like a pretty good deal, especially if power on that meter doesn't impact your usage tiers on the primary meter.

Alan

jitubats said:
Hi all,

I am a new owner for Nissan Leaf SL and am looking to install a EVSe at my home. I am onto the second day of my ownership and am already had my first running out of charge scare. ( Thats a story for another day ). Here is my current dilemma.

My local couty / Power company is doing a Pilot in which they are offering the following

1. Install a Second Meter + Provide a dedicated Rate for lower overnight charging rates = Free of Cost
2. Purchase a EVSE + Install it = They will pay 50% of the entire cost

I talked to them again today and they told me that my portion of the cost would be $1275-1300 which is 1/2 the cost of the EVSE. The EVSE they are installing is a modified Clipper Creek, which I believe is the HCS -40 or 60, I need to get more details on this.

http://www.pepco.com/my-home/save-money-and-conserve-energy/plug-in-vehicle-charging-pilot/frequently-asked-questions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maryland is now giving us 50% back on the cost of the EVSE ( which finally gets me to the final cost of 650 ).

My question is, is this something which makes financial sense or should I go ahead and find local electricians to go ahead and install the HCS-40/60 at home ?

Please advise.

Thanks,
JB

About $2,600 for an EVSE?? My Clipper Creek LCS-25 was a little under $500. Perhaps they are including a big charge for the wiring, but not sure you can't do better on the EVSE.

Separate meter sounds good.

jitubats said:
Hi all,...

Item 3 says you can get into the program if you already have an EVSE installed. I would get a few quotes from local electricians and see how it compares, price-wise.

IME, the electricians selected by the Utility Company (or in my case, Equipment Manufacture) are way over-priced. You may save money by having everything done before contacting your utility to get the second meter installed. Try to find out what that takes while you're at it, and make sure whomever does your EVSE install knows that that is the plan so nothing has to be removed or replaced.

Thanks. I will try and contact a few electricians and see what is the cost they estimate for the installation. What I think is that the final cost to me would still be close to 600-650. ( 900 for HCS-60 ) + 300-400 for install.

Also I have a new home with a two car garage, is there a preferred location where I should have the EVSE installed, i have 4 cars total ( 5 now, 1 I will be selling off this month ). I was thinking If I get it on the side wall, i might be able to charge the car, even if it is parked outside wall, suggestions ?

Thanks,
JB

Unless a Tesla is in your future, an HCS-60 is overkill. The HCS-40 at $595 is more cost effective, both from a purchase standpoint as well as an installation one. The HCS-60 will most likely require a 200 amp service, so if you don't have that now, that will drive up the price even more.

My LCS-25 cost me about $1,000 to install and that is on the high side as my municipality imposed certain requirements including the installation of a separate outside meter. So either the quote you are getting from your utility includes needed upgrades to allow for such a powerful EVSE, your installation is unusually involved (e.g. extended trenching to a detached garage or carport), or you are getting seriously ripped off.

Get some quotes from local electricians. Ask them what is the biggest EVSE you can install without a service upgrade, and buy accordingly. If even a 16 amp EVSE will require an upgrade to your existing service, then plan for a 50 or even 60 amp circuit, since that won't cost much more than adding a mere 20 amp one.

I do know that I have 2 - 200 amp junctions in my garage. I dont have any plans to get Tesla in the near future ( 3 years or so), but I do believe to install the HCS-60 requires a 60 amp breaker + a 4/2 to 6/2 gauge wire. I do agree with you that it is an overkill and I will ask the electrician what is the incremental cost it. I am also leaning towards the Siemens charger ( just for the looks :) )

Going back to the PIV
-------------------
I was again going through the faq, and it looks like I would have to be shelling about 2075 out of pocket(1275 EVSE+800 for the install). That seems to be a little steep ( I am an electrical engineer by profession and think 1600 dollars for installing an EVSE is an overkill (I pay 50% of the install ). The cable run is about 80ft. I have already sent my application, but after talking to a few electricians, I might just withdraw it and resend an updated one.

Any one has any suggestions on the location, front of garage or side of garage ?

I have the HCS-40P installed in the garage right in front of the leaf's charging port. It's easier to access than from the side and avoid tripping over, I only have to take out few feet of the cable and it's quick to loop it back to the unit, cost of installation is around ~360.

Mine is installed on the side wall in the garage, next to where I usually park the Leaf. As you say, this does allow me to park outside the garage and still charge the car. I have found that very convenient. I could also charge it if it is in the other spot in the (2 car) garage.

Graycenphil said:
Mine is installed on the side wall in the garage, next to where I usually park the Leaf. As you say, this does allow me to park outside the garage and still charge the car. I have found that very convenient. I could also charge it if it is in the other spot in the (2 car) garage.

I had my plug installed on the side wall as well for the same reason. Note I said "plug" - I had a 14-50 plug installed and plan to pay a tad more for the EVSE so that I have the option of moving it easily (i.e. take it on a trip and use it at an RV park?) or upgrading the EVSE in the future without needing to get an electrician involved.

Just some food for thought....

Back