2012 6.6 Kw OBC upgrade

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edy

Hi all:
i know this is a old and wasted tread,
i need to charge my old Leaf Faster.
and i search on internet and no luck for me.
find all the parts and components, even tutorials.
but My problem is I don´t Have any skills about mechanical or Electronics.
so any clue about who can make the upgrade, if there is a good mechanic or EV conversion shop,
where i can bring my car. it will be very appreciated.
Regards to all.

I can't help w/the shop but I only know of the Brusa charger for the '11 and '12 Leafs. A few folks here on MNL have it.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/search.php?keywords=brusa&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm assuming you're already charging at 208/240 volts at 16 amps, right?

I'm assuming you're already charging at 208/240 volts at 16 amps, right?[/quote]

yes, i have 240V at my home,
but i need faster charge because i do some long road trips.
and i want to go farther than i can now..

cwerdna said:

This is an important point to make...do you have access to an EVSE that will output at least 4.8 kW (20 amps at 240 volts)? Otherwise, you're wasting your money. It would be like hooking up a fire hose to an ordinary garden hose faucet (via LOTS of adapters) and expecting the same amount of water delivery as if it was hooked up to a fire engine connected to a fire hydrant.

I've come across several public EVSE's (Blink units in particular) that don't even appear to output 3.2 kW :? So unless the public EVSE's you are planning to use output at least 4.8 kW, having such an EVSE at home won't do you much good for a "long road trip."

RonDawg said:
cwerdna said:

This is an important point to make...do you have access to an EVSE that will output at least 4.8 kW (20 amps at 240 volts)? Otherwise, you're wasting your money. It would be like hooking up a fire hose to an ordinary garden hose faucet (via LOTS of adapters) and expecting the same amount of water delivery as if it was hooked up to a fire engine connected to a fire hydrant.

I've come across several public EVSE's (Blink units in particular) that don't even appear to output 3.2 kW :? So unless the public EVSE's you are planning to use output at least 4.8 kW, having such an EVSE at home won't do you much good for a "long road trip."
overnight charging like my house or an hotel is not the problem can be 110V trickle charge, my problem is midday charging, i always use the Nissan EVSE.
somebody knows if Nissan has 6Kw output?

Edy said:
overnight charging like my house or an hotel is not the problem can be 110V trickle charge, my problem is midday charging, i always use the Nissan EVSE.
Can you post a link to/picture of the Nissan EVSE you mention? Is it http://evsolutions.avinc.com/products/home_charging/nissan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? If so, yes, that can output 30 amps at max at 208/240 volts, so it'd be 7.2 kW max. (However, no Leaf would draw 7.2 kW...)

cwerdna said:
Edy said:
Can you post a link to/picture of the Nissan EVSE you mention? Is it http://evsolutions.avinc.com/products/home_charging/nissan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? If so, yes, that can output 30 amps at max at 208/240 volts, so it'd be 7.2 kW max. (However, no Leaf would draw 7.2 kW...)
is an Aeroviroment, same the link you send

The hard part is making an adapter plate to mount the Brusa.... JasonA on here has a template. I also have a metal starter template, but I'm not shipping it, sorry.

I will probably sell my adapter plate, cables, modified inlet, Leaf DD (to control it), and possibly the Brusa itself around this time next year in preparation for turning in my car (it's a lease).

Edy said:

The 6.6kW charger will have no effect on 110-120 volt charging at all. If you arrive at such a charging station on a depleted battery, it will take up to 20 hours to fully charge again.

Have you verified that they are any L2 charging stations of sufficient wattage where you will be going? Have you verified which Nissan dealers have a charging stations, and if they will let you use them? Here in the US, not all Nissan dealers allow those who have not bought cars from them access to the charging stations, and most are not accessible when the dealership is closed. Some of them go as far as shutting off the power to the charging stations to prevent them from being used when the dealership is closed.

Actually, the Brusa does fire up to pull 4 amps at 120v if a 16 amp pilot is presented (this feature was added to one of the code revisions in the LeafDD.) In theory, I could run the Brusa at 12 amps for a total of 24 amps at 120v using a TT-30 RV plug although I have never done so.

2013 and newer leafs will also pull 16 amps at 120v if presented with a 16 amp pilot. A stock 2011 or 2012 will only pull 12 amps at 120v.

Note running 16 amps at 120v requires 20 amp rated sockets, wiring, and breaker.

Thanks you guys for all the inputs, spend over 3,000.00 in such modification, will be a mistake.
when i buy my Nissan Leaf in March this year, i didn't know that some Nissan's in US don´t have QC port.
i was with the wrong idea that all Leafs has ÇHAdeMO port,
even i was thinking that in small places like Puerto Rico Island, Honolulu, etc. they don't need because the short distances they travel everyday.
or here in Mexico we don´t need QC, because here is no single one QC Charging station. :cry:
i was trying to charging little bit faster to make fun some Long Electrical Road Trips...
well i will make my own BC to BC Rally, but with a OBC at 3.3 KW. i only can do Ensenada BC to Tijuana BC :lol:

Regards all to you guys,
bunch of nice people here in this forum..

Back