tonight at 9pm

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acegreatone

Posted this in the wrong place before. But tonight at 9pm the show "how its made" on science channel (sci) will go through the process of making an electric vehicle charging station. It should be interesting

Thanks!

Fortunately, I had a season pass for this show (to only keep a few eps) on my TiVo. It had already recorded it. If I hadn't known, it'd have been auto-deleted.

OP, you might want to edit the title to be a little more descriptive...

Can anyone that watched it comment? We missed it, but it is on again tonight at 1am PDT, so I need to know if it is worth getting up for it. Probably not, but just in case...

Saw it and was underwhelmed, as I am with most of the topics this show. Two controller boards (probably for EMC) nice aluminum forming presses by "the worker", lots of Phillips head screws and - presto - an electric car charging station.

Graffi said:
Can anyone that watched it comment? We missed it, but it is on again tonight at 1am PDT, so I need to know if it is worth getting up for it. Probably not, but just in case...
It was ok. It wasn't a must see, IMHO.

1 am PDT? Getting up for it? ;) I'm wide awake at 1 am local time (which is Pacific time for me). You gotta get a TiVo or other decent DVR. There's WAY too much good stuff on TV. No time to watch it all. Most of its on when I'm either not available to watch (e.g. working, asleep, not home), not in front of my TV or when I don't want to shift my schedule to catch something.

The company was clearly in Canada and probably Quebec. Interesting they briefly showed a Spark EV.

cwerdna said:
The company was clearly in Canada and probably Quebec. Interesting they briefly showed a Spark EV.

Canadian TV, I believe, has a Canadian programming content mandate (their attempt to avoid becoming the de-facto 51st state), and that show is - effectively - subsidized by it. So I don't know if they show exclusively Canadian made goods, but most of it is.

Looks like it's airing again on Science Channel on 4/27/17 at 4 am Pacific time on my cable lineup. Check your favorite TV listings site/DVR for your air time.

Can one of the mods fix the OP's title? Looks like the OP doesn't frequent MNL anymore.

If you're willing to put up with less-than-HD quality, the episode is available on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcNFX7Ra2sA

cwerdna said:

This is the company's website: http://addenergietechnologies.com/en/our-products/ The EVSE on the left side of their home page, called the "SmartTWO", is the model that was assembled in the episode. In their "About" page they appear to supply EVSE's for a couple of Canada's public charging networks.

My understanding is that the Spark EV was a fleet-only car in Canada.

nsayer said:
Canadian TV, I believe, has a Canadian programming content mandate (their attempt to avoid becoming the de-facto 51st state), and that show is - effectively - subsidized by it. So I don't know if they show exclusively Canadian made goods, but most of it is.

Yes. There is a regulatory agency called the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) and one of their duties is to enforce something called the "Canadian Content" law. Producers can also get federal government funding for filming in Canada; I think there are grants available at the provincial level as well.

However I have seen "How It's Made" episodes that were filmed in the US. It could be because either no similar company exists in Canada, or if any do they wouldn't give permission for filming.

Back