leviton evb32 7.7kw 32 amp pilot signal on a 40 amp breaker

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmp647

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DG147MM/ref=dra_a_cs_mr_hn_it_P3028_100?tag=dradisplay-20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

so the Leviton install shows 8G wire and a 40 amp breaker, and offers a 32amp charge signal/limit 7.7kw

most all other Evse including the Nissan aeroviroment unit offer 30amp pilot signal only for 7.2Kw (40 amp breaker)

how is it that Leviton is one of the few units that offer the 32 amp signal

I am askingbecause the upcoming BMW I3 will be able to take advantage of a 32 amp pilot signal

I know even the 6.6kw Leafs only need a 30amp signal because the pull around 27.5 amps max on 240

what has leviton figured out and why dont other evse offer a 32amp ?

It's just marketing. They figured that if you have 40A circuit breaker anyway they can set it up to provide 32A pilot and be up to the code. Now they will sell it as "the most powerful and fastest charger on the market".

As you've said - not many cars can charge with that and even if they can saving will bi minimal.

P.S. OpenEVSE has 32A pilot as well.

Alternate view - there are a few models limited to 30A or under on L2, the LEAF, for instance (Spark, Volt, also). The Fit EV, Focus EV, i3 (you mentioned), etc can charge L2 at 32A. It's within the 80% rule for the 40A circuit. Decide for yourself whether the difference between 32A and 30A is worth any additional cost. They are also using a 40A J cable, which costs more than the 30A J cable.

I believe Leviton has saved the "most powerful" (plug-in) EVSE marketing tag for their 40A EVSE (RAV4 EV, Tesla(*)).

(*) with J adapter, and without dual chargers.

You can buy a hard wired Clipper Creek Level 2 EVSE that puts out 30 amps for $590 (Clipper Creek makes high quality products).

http://clippercreek.com/store/product-category/new-products/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or the Leviton unit with a pigtail that you posted from Amazon for $899 or $975 depending on cord length. Equally a high quality product.

Is it worth an extra $300 or $400 for the 2 amps of extra charging current and the pigtail? Not to me...But both are good well-made units...

The reason most units only offer 30a is because of the outgoing cable and handle. Most of them are rated for 30a. To go any higher requires bigger wire and a more expensive J1772 handle.

the 30a cable and handle make sense thank you

intersting the owners manual for the 2013 and 2014 Leaf lists maximum 7.7kw consumption by the car and list 32a as the max amperage
CHARGING SYSTEM
Rated input voltage AC120V (single phase), AC240V (single phase)
Rated input frequency 60Hz
Maximum rated current 12A (AC120V), 18A (AC240V), 32A (AC240V; if so equipped)
Maximum power consumption 1.4 kVA (AC120V), 4.8 kVA (AC240V), 7.7kVA (AC240V; if so equipped)

how could a on board charger with a 6.0 input and a max of 6.6kw consumption show the above specs?

most tests report the actual max amperage drawn at 27.5a 240v at the wall

kmp647 said:

intersting the owners manual for the 2013 and 2014 Leaf lists maximum 7.7kw consumption by the car and list 32a as the max amperage
CHARGING SYSTEM
Maximum power consumption 1.4 kVA (AC120V), 4.8 kVA (AC240V), 7.7kVA (AC240V; if so equipped)

how could a on board charger with a 6.0 input and a max of 6.6kw consumption show the above specs?

My experience using a Juice Box premium is also 27.5a max on the 6.6kw charger. Was hoping to see better, but putting out even 32A from the EVSE doesn't result in anything more than 27-28A. Anyone able to explain if this is expected given the manual description of 32A maximum rated current?

bkinsl said:
kmp647 said:

CHARGING SYSTEM

My experience using a Juice Box premium is also 27.5a max on the 6.6kw charger. Was hoping to see better, but putting out even 32A from the EVSE doesn't result in anything more than 27-28A. Anyone able to explain if this is expected given the manual description of 32A maximum rated current?

There is two parts to the J1772 specification. The EVSE tells the car charger what it can supply and the car takes what it needs up to its max. If your EVSE tells your car it has the 80A max available A Volt will take its max of 16A, A 6600W leaf will take its max of 27.5A.

On the other hand if your EVSE was a 24A unit on a 30A breaker a 6600W Leaf or a 40A RAV4 EV would only draw 24A. The car charger can only take what is offered.

GlennD said:
bkinsl said:
kmp647 said:

CHARGING SYSTEM

There is two parts to the J1772 specification. The EVSE tells the car charger what it can supply and the car takes what it needs up to its max. If your EVSE tells your car it has the 80A max available A Volt will take its max of 16A, A 6600W leaf will take its max of 27.5A.

On the other hand if your EVSE was a 24A unit on a 30A breaker a 6600W Leaf or a 40A RAV4 EV would only draw 24A. The car charger can only take what is offered.

Thanks, Glenn. I see the 27.5 max mentioned a few places so assume it has to do with what it takes to put out 6600W.

Perhaps on a 208V supply the Leaf will draw up to 32A? 6600W/208V = ~32A.

FWIW, if anyone's interested in the EVB32 Dsinned over at the myrav4ev forum is selling his, asking $700.

fooljoe said:

FWIW, if anyone's interested in the EVB32 Dsinned over at the myrav4ev forum is selling his, asking $700.

Interesting idea but even with low voltage (234V) my leaf still draws 27.5A on the current meter. It bounces plus or minus an amp but that is normal for a digital meter. I usually charge at about 245V and 27.5A.

If you want a 32 amp unit, a JESLA will happily provide up to 40 amps, in addition to providing the following output with the appropriate plug:

....................................................VOLTS / AMPS.......kW
NEMA 5-15 .......Standard Outlet.. 120 V / 12 A...... 1.4 kW
NEMA 5-20 ...... Motel air conditioner 120/16A....... 1.9 kW
NEMA 10-30......Older Dryers...... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 14-30......Newer Dryers..... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 14-50......RV Parks ........... 240 V / 40 A...... 9.6 kW

If you plug in a LEAF with a JESLA, it will charge at the maximum rate that a LEAF can handle. The same is true of plugging in a 40 amp charger in a Tesla Model S/3/X, Toyota Rav4 EV, or Mercedes B-Class ED.

whole post is pointless now. I was looking for an EVSE that would take advantage of the BMW i3 7.4kw OB charger

ha..... the I3 have all had OBC issues and BMw had to do a software update de-rating the OBC to operate at 5kw max to keep it from overheating and failing completely.

Nissan got a lot of things right from the start.
my Leaf ticks on even at 10 bars , very reliable

fooljoe said:

Thanks for the "plug" fooljoe. It's still FOR SALE. Actually, I'm asking $700 or BEST OFFER, but so far, nobody has offered. :lol: I will consider selling for less to someone in my local area (Silicon Valley) avoid shipping. Also, because I replaced the black 25', output cord with a brand new orange, 25', 240V - 32A rated, output cable. The new output cable is less bulky, easier to coil up and transport in the trunk of a car.

It comes with Leviton's EVB32 series wall mount bracket and the all metal enclosure has a handy "hook" to coil up the output cable when not in use. Unlike most low cost, open source EVSEs, this unit is UL listed and can be used in either indoor or outdoor locations when used with a suitable waterproof receptacle.

Lastly, I installed a 4' (stock is 12") input cable with a NEMA 14-50P plug on it to make it more versatile as a portable EVSE. If you need a NEMA 10-30P, to draw power from an old style electric drier outlet, I'll throw in an adapter for that as well.

My total cost for this unit was close to $1600, plus tax!!!

dsinned said:
Thanks for the "plug" fooljoe. It's still FOR SALE. Actually, I'm asking $700 or BEST OFFER, but so far, nobody has offered. :lol: I will consider selling for a little less to someone in my local area (Silicon Valley) just to avoid shipping. Also, because I replaced the black 25', output cord with a brand new orange, 25', 240V - 32A rated, output cable. The new output cable is a bit less bulky, easier to coil up and transport in the trunk of a car.

It comes with Leviton's EVB32 series wall mount bracket and the all metal enclosure has a handy "hook" to coil up the output cable when not in use. Unlike most low cost, open EVSEs, this unit if fully UL listed and can be used in either indoor or outdoor installations with a suitable waterproof cover for the plug-in receptable.

Lastly, I installed a 4' (stock is 12") input cable with a NEMA 14-50P plug on it to make it more versatile as a portable EVSE. If you need a NEMA 10-30P, to draw power from an old style electric drier outlet, I'll throw in an adapter for that as well.

Um, since you modified it, the UL rating is no longer valid. Not that it matters. It is better than it was.

bbrowncods said:
dsinned said:
Thanks for the "plug" fooljoe. It's still FOR SALE. Actually, I'm asking $700 or BEST OFFER, but so far, nobody has offered. :lol: I will consider selling for a little less to someone in my local area (Silicon Valley) just to avoid shipping. Also, because I replaced the black 25', output cord with a brand new orange, 25', 240V - 32A rated, output cable. The new output cable is a bit less bulky, easier to coil up and transport in the trunk of a car.

It comes with Leviton's EVB32 series wall mount bracket and the all metal enclosure has a handy "hook" to coil up the output cable when not in use. Unlike most low cost, open EVSEs, this unit if fully UL listed and can be used in either indoor or outdoor installations with a suitable waterproof cover for the plug-in receptable.

Um, since you modified it, the UL rating is no longer valid. Not that it matters. It is better than it was.

Proper maintenance and repairs doesn't necessarily mean that it's no longer UL rated.

dsinned said:
If you need a NEMA 10-30P, to draw power from an old style electric drier outlet, I'll throw in an adapter for that as well.
Don't plug a 32 amp non-adjustable EVSE into a 30 amp dryer outlet! :eek:

fooljoe said:
dsinned said:
If you need a NEMA 10-30P, to draw power from an old style electric drier outlet, I'll throw in an adapter for that as well.
Don't plug a 32 amp non-adjustable EVSE into a 30 amp dryer outlet! :eek:
Generally, I agree, but if your EV's OBC draws no more than 5.8kW (24A max) - like a Chevy VOLT, which draws only 3.3kW - all L2 EVSEs will be limited accordingly.

What prompted the change of J cable? I saw one of these EVB32s that had a 40A J cable from factory.

dsinned said:
fooljoe said:

Thanks for the "plug" fooljoe. It's still FOR SALE. Actually, I'm asking $700 or BEST OFFER, but so far, nobody has offered. :lol: I will consider selling for less to someone in my local area (Silicon Valley) avoid shipping. Also, because I replaced the black 25', output cord with a brand new orange, 25', 240V - 32A rated, output cable. The new output cable is less bulky, easier to coil up and transport in the trunk of a car.

It comes with Leviton's EVB32 series wall mount bracket and the all metal enclosure has a handy "hook" to coil up the output cable when not in use. Unlike most low cost, open source EVSEs, this unit is UL listed and can be used in either indoor or outdoor locations when used with a suitable waterproof receptacle.

Back