L2 EVSE in J1772 handle (UM-EVSE)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eHelmholtz

I found this interesting EVSE that's 240V select-able from 6, 10, and 16A with a push of a button. It's also all in the J1772 handle - now that's portability!

0000144_um-evse-v2-reservation.jpeg

http://www.charge-amps.com/mobile-evse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--------------------------/---///////////////////////
Update: this is now called the spark.

http://www.charge-amps.com/spark/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That could be a good solution... easily portable 240V to keep in the car, since faster charging is most useful when out and about. I'd leave the stock charger plugged in at home for overnight, when slower charging is OK.

Removes the need to pack and unpack either of them. It has always bugged me that buying an EVSE means that fast charging is available at home and the slow charger can go back in the car.

This one, and other small portable EVSEs, fix that. Will be curious to hear more about availability, quality, and reliability.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Kind of defeats the goal of cutting the power at the source.

EXACTLY !!!

It defeats the whole purpose of the safety issues.

The more I think about, the more I like the Mennekes design. By the way, that picture plug is the last generation Dostar (China) J1772 / Type 1 plug.

LTLFTcomposite said:
This product may not do it, but couldn't the GFCI be in the NEMA plug, with the rest of the EVSE in the handle?

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
This product may not do it, but couldn't the GFCI be in the NEMA plug, with the rest of the EVSE in the handle?

Cheers, Wayne

That's my plan for my 5-15 on a cord reel with the EVSE and reel mounted to the car.

QueenBee said:
wwhitney said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

Cheers, Wayne

That's my plan for my 5-15 on a cord reel with the EVSE and reel mounted to the car.

That would be great if you put the relay at the 5-15 plug end.

These are not well designed, a friend of mine bought one and if failed from water drainage issues as it is not properly engineered for outdoor use. It also defeats all safety functions and is not mede very well. It is another short-cut Chinese modified handle not an EVSE.

wwhitney said:
TonyWilliams said:
Why is having the relay at the 5-15 plug important?

Cheers, Wayne

At that point you've got Phil's mockup EVSE. To me I have no problem with 120 volt extension cords being used outside then you add in GFCI to the plug end and you guarantee you'll have GFCI. AFAIC this is perfectly safe. Biggest risk is probably a receptacle in need of repair destroying it self and your GFCI plug.

EVDRIVER said:
It also defeats all safety functions and is not mede very well.

From the website:

UM-EVSE is equipped with a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) that will protect from ground faults.

Is the mains available in the car connector all the time?

No, the mains is only connected to the J1772 socket when the car is connected and requests charging.

The UM-EVSE performs continous diode-tests to detect any fault conditions caused by foreign objects.

What else is missing?

smkettner said:
What else is missing?
I don't really know, but will speculate that the founding fathers thought it was important to have the cable (not just the plug) de-energized when not connected, and not rely solely on GFCI. In this system the GFCI is a single point of failure.

smkettner said:
From the website:

UM-EVSE is equipped with a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) that will protect from ground faults.

Is the mains available in the car connector all the time?

No, the mains is only connected to the J1772 socket when the car is connected and requests charging.

The UM-EVSE performs continous diode-tests to detect any fault conditions caused by foreign objects.

What else is missing?
The main problem is that with the relays and GFCI in the handle, you have live conductors in there before both of those protections, so if it gets wet, you can get shocked. If the cord were to get damaged, you'd have the same issue. Personally, if they were to put GFCI in the 5-15 plug, which they could have bought off the shelf, it would alleviate most of my personal objections to it.

Good points about the GFCI location. Also, for the US / NA market they'd have to make it dual-voltage with a small kit of adapter plugs.

Even with those two improvements, I like the form factor.

BTW, what's the safety analysis for two GFCI's in series? One in the panel or in the wall outlet, and one on the wall plug end of the cable?

wwhitney said:
TonyWilliams said:
Why is having the relay at the 5-15 plug important?

Cheers, Wayne

In the USA, it must be within 12 inches of the outlet. Also, practically, if there is a severed cord (driven over by a car?), it will be downstream of the EVSE logic circuits such as GCFI, pilot signal, and the relay that will cut power.

Back