EMW JuiceBox vs EVSE Upgrade

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASP

Hi everyone, a new Nissan LEAF owner here. Just got my Silver SV last week. I'm looking at getting the a 30 AMP EVSE as 110 is obviously way too slow. Right now it is mainly between EMW JuiceBox and the EVSE Upgrade. The main question I had is what kind of input and output cables are needed for the JuiceBox? Like, would this work? It's on EMW's site: http://www.emotorwerks.com/products/online-store/product/show/38-j1772-plug-wire-8-meters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Thanks.

For output, http://www.emotorwerks.com/products/online-store/product/show/38-j1772-plug-wire-8-meters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is correct (you could also choose the shorter one).

For input, it is up to you as long as it matches your needs. For example if you use an L6-30 cord then you will have a configuration similar to an upgraded EVSE from EVSEupgrade. Currently EMW doesn't offer an L6-30 from their store so you will have to source that yourself if you go that route (also note that you will want to set the max charging current to 24A w/ an L6-30). EMW is carrying 14-50 connector which will let you set a higher current limit. However in the end what matters is what you plug it into. If you are planning for a semi-permanent installation and you have an existing socket (like an unused dryer outlet) then the best inlet cord might be a dryer cord that you can get cheaply at your local home improvement store.

The biggest advantage of the JuiceBox is higher current support (assuming your LEAF has 6.6 kW charger on board). The biggest disadvantage of the JuiceBox is they are still ramping up so you will be waiting longer.

I own an upgraded EVSE from an 2011 Nissan LEAF from EVSEupgrade.com. This is a "V2 unit" from the early days, it supports 16A charging at 240V. The current upgrades support settable charging.

I couple months ago I replaced our 2002 RAV4-EV w/ 2012 which has 10kW onboard charger. In looking for higher current EVSE I found the JuiceBox and I ended up backing their Kickstarter project. I'm currently waiting for my deluxe kit.

BTW I just noticed you purchased an SV which I believe by default comes with 3.3 kW charger. If you are local to the SF Bay area you can come to a BayLEAFs meeting for some live help.

arnold

smkettner said:
Forget the kit. Go evseupgrade.

FYI, you can order a fully assembled juicebox. Of course you still have to wait for them to start shipping.

I just looked it up and discovered that SV does come with 6 kW charger. If the OP wants to charge at the full rate that the 6 kW charger is capable of then they will need an EVSE that is capable of supplying 28A.

arnold

arnolddeleon said:
For output, http://www.emotorwerks.com/products/online-store/product/show/38-j1772-plug-wire-8-meters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is correct (you could also choose the shorter one).

For input, it is up to you as long as it matches your needs. For example if you use an L6-30 cord then you will have a configuration similar to an upgraded EVSE from EVSEupgrade. Currently EMW doesn't offer an L6-30 from their store so you will have to source that yourself if you go that route (also note that you will want to set the max charging current to 24A w/ an L6-30). EMW is carrying 14-50 connector which will let you set a higher current limit. However in the end what matters is what you plug it into. If you are planning for a semi-permanent installation and you have an existing socket (like an unused dryer outlet) then the best inlet cord might be a dryer cord that you can get cheaply at your local home improvement store.

The biggest advantage of the JuiceBox is higher current support (assuming your LEAF has 6.6 kW charger on board). The biggest disadvantage of the JuiceBox is they are still ramping up so you will be waiting longer.

I own an upgraded EVSE from an 2011 Nissan LEAF from EVSEupgrade.com. This is a "V2 unit" from the early days, it supports 16A charging at 240V. The current upgrades support settable charging.

I couple months ago I replaced our 2002 RAV4-EV w/ 2012 which has 10kW onboard charger. In looking for higher current EVSE I found the JuiceBox and I ended up backing their Kickstarter project. I'm currently waiting for my deluxe kit.

BTW I just noticed you purchased an SV which I believe by default comes with 3.3 kW charger. If you are local to the SF Bay area you can come to a BayLEAFs meeting for some live help.

arnold

Thanks for the help! I would like to come to the meet up - I'm in the Chico, CA area though so it would be quite the hassle. ;) There needs to be a Quick Charger between Chico and Sacramento. I did go with the JuiceBox, pledging for the assembled Base Kit and ordering the J1172 plug from the EMW website. The JuiceBox may take a little longer to get here than the Bosch, but I'll just deal with 110V and charging up on L2 in Chico for the time being.

I am planning on doing a permanent or semipermanent installation with the JuiceBox (I live in a rural area and don't see the need to move it in the future). I will get a 240V dryer socket wired - in that case I could get a dryer socket and charge at the full 28A then right? I do want to take advantage of the charger's capabilities.

ASP said:
I will get a 240V dryer socket wired - in that case I could get a dryer socket and charge at the full 28A then right? I do want to take advantage of the charger's capabilities.

No, that wouldn't be correct. Continuous loads are at 80% of the breaker rating, and in the case of a 30 amp dryer circuit, that would be 24 amps.

If you are going to install new wiring already then I wouldn't go with a dryer outlet. Tony is correct, the correct limit for a 30A circuit is 24A. This 80% of rating for some things (but not everything) is really confusing. I would suggest pulling at least #8 wire so you can have 40A breaker and allow 32A charging. If you can swing it pull #6 wire.

arnold

Yeah, I'll probably just hardwire it as a permanent installation, being that I'm having new wiring installed. Really looking forward to being able to charge it so quickly!

Everyone here is posting some great information.. I just wanted to add

Looking into the Juicebox... it does not seem cost effective..

They are charging 50.00 for shipping.. (way to much) and you have to buy not only the main unit 139 you have to buy the NEMA plug 30-40 and the J1772 plug 149 that plus tax and you have to put it together is almost 400 +..

Newer units from Bosch and Blink have come down in price and for only a few bucks more.. you can have a fully tested working unit with delay functionality and :ugeek: warranty..

Just my 2 cents.. hope I did not offend.

H

Adding another $0.02...

Another item to consider is that the Juicebox can handle charging rates up to 60 amps. While it may not be the most cost effective solution to the likes of OpenEVSE, I do not know of any commercial EVSE units, with a similar feature set, that can handle that at an affordable level.

That's true SG!

I guess for open-evse, I was hoping for a better price point. When their fully built product ( leaf owner so I need only 6.6) is as much as the 600 Bosch that can support this amount of Kw..

But if you are looking for a product that can handle more, I can see why trying the DIY JB might work for you..

Unfortunately, for me my needs, a more tested and put together unit would be a safe choice.

kid

Except the JuiceBox can deliver 60A ;) But without the UL certification etc, I'm hesitant myself. For now, I'll stick with the AeroVironment unit, but would love to go the openEVSE route someday.

lion said:
Except the JuiceBox can deliver 60A ;) But without the UL certification etc, I'm hesitant myself. For now, I'll stick with the AeroVironment unit, but would love to go the openEVSE route someday.
No home constructed EVSE is going to be UL approved. The best you can do is use a cable with UL approval.

According to ingineer approval costs upward of 25K.

Well, I just ordered my Juicebox kit, just before they raised their price to $149.....while shipping is quoted at $50 in the 'order'page, it recalculates to whatever it takes to get it to you.....(for me it was $15.66)....I can deal with that, especially since the kit is easier to build (PCB is already built, no extra big fat wires going to a suspect terminal block (they now recommend you strip more outer covering off the J1772 cable, and directly wire the output cable to the relay, avoiding the internal connection)....

The assembled PCB now comes programmed, so no programming of the arduino is needed, so it's now a fairly easy build...(Did a stint as an e-tech doing lots of soldering, from SMT to high-power motors and 20+KW power supplies, so I'm comfortable around a soldering iron).

Didn't want to wait for the 'Premium' kit and the LCD display and 'mega battery' case it comes in (not shipping till end of Nov at the earliest), and I can always put an ammeter inline (under $30 from ebay) that can show me V, A, and KWh. Not sure I can fit that into the stock case yet, but I'll know when it gets here....

And even with this (and the required 14-50 outlet ($9), oven cord ($24), and leviton 25ft J1772 cable ($156 delivered)), it's still around $350 for a 32A charger (and still applies for the 30% tax rebate, since I leased, and otherwise not subject to AMT)...

So for me, it's a juicebox, and I keep my 110V cord for trickle....If I need to go on a longer trip, bring both, in case there's a RV, oven, or dryer outlet handy.

I ordered one of the basic JuiceBox kits from the Kickstarter launch. It was fairly easy to assemble (I was fortunate to be sent an assembled PCB); and works well. I purchased it to be a backup for my Blink unit in case it fails. What drew me to Juicebox was the early Kickstarter pricing $99+$10 shipping and that it was a complete kit (less input Plug and charging cable).

I missed the Kickstarter offer, but just ordered a JB as well. Mine will have ALL available optional modules, so it will be in-effect the same as the "premium" version, just in the lower cost enclosure. However, I will have to figure out how to mount the LCD for viewing with the cover in place. I will most likely replace the metal cover with 1/8" thick, clear plexiglass so can not only view the LCD "inside" the enclosure, but periodically check for any evidence of overheating, internal power supply LED and make it easier to use the wireless remote key fob and WiFi data reporting via Internet access. All this feature content for about $650 shipped, including tax, seems like a very fair price to me compared to the name brand, higher power, L2 EVSEs currently available out there.

I will be mounting it in my garage to charge my 2012 VOLT and RAV4 EV, sot the remote key fob current limit adjustability is a GREAT feature as well. I now have a much better way to charge in the wild from any available 120 or 240V outlets, at much higher charging rates than by using the OEM charge cords at 120V only, but the portability of the JB will be almost just as convenient as any of those L1 EVSEs. I am seriously thinking about taking my RAV4 EV on my next vacation trip and will have much less range anxiety with my very versatile JB in the trunk.

If anybody is interested I am planning to sell ($750) my 240V-32A, wall mountable, PnP, Leviton L2 EVSE (7.7kW). It has a 4' long AC input cord with a NEMA 14-50P plug on it, and 25' long J1772 output cord. It is also, fully UL Listed. Please PM if anyone is interested.

Bought a used 2012 LEAF SL. Now in the market for a L2 EVSE station. I am leaning toward the Juice Box. So will only charge at 3.3 kWh. I am thinking that my next upgrade will be to a fuel cell car, so my interest in buying a 60amp capable charger is not ringing my bell at this time.

My 1990 built garage comes with a L6-30 plug 30A 250V.

The Juice Box allows me to set the amps down to 24 to accommodate this plug, untill I have the gumption to test the wire diameter, increase the the circuit breaker to 40A and change out the plug.
Am I missing anything in my rationalization here?

The LEAF come with a timer for charging, Carwings communicates charging status. Why would I need the WiFi and LCD control?

gamernotwatcher said:
The LEAF come with a timer for charging, Carwings communicates charging status. Why would I need the WiFi and LCD control?
The short answer is because they are both really KOOL features! :mrgreen:

Although the LCD is rather smallish in size and hard to see at a distance, but it still provides a wealth of information. For example, how much energy over time has been used to charge your EV(s) and how much has been saved in equivalent gasoline. It also displays how much energy each individual charge consumes. This display can be customized by modifying the Ardunio code for the JuiceBox. The source code is provided on the EMW website. I am in the process of learning how to do this myself actually after upgrading to a slightly larger 4D OLED display.

The WiFi option promises to do the same thing once EMW releases a cell phone app to use with it. In the meantime, they have a data logging website that you can link to. It is fairly rudimentary right now, but there is the potential to do much more.

The Remote option is perhaps the most useful feature. This makes it almost effortless to "adjust" the current limiter in 1A steps up or down, and set a timer for scheduled charging. The remote key fob works with the JB via a menu driven display on the LCD. You can also use the remote to perform a "WPS" pairing function with your home network router, as well as a "Charge Now" function to override the timer, instead of waiting for a scheduled charge.

Are all these optional features worth over a $100 more? I think so, but then again, I'm a "techie". :mrgreen:

Back