EVSE Upgrade modded EVSE now charging at full 20A @ 240V

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EJensen

Today I took delivery of a modded EVSE from EVSE Upgrade. I talked to one of the guys there before they fulfilled the order and discussed the fact that I have a 2013. As he told me over the phone, the model they sent me is their newest and charges at a full 20A.

I hooked it up tonight and took some measurements at the service panel, verifying that I'm drawing a full 20A at 240V. So at least on the AC side, I'm getting 4.8kW/hr.

This is with a 2013 "S" with the charge package. Note that the "S" is limited to a lower rate unless you get the charge package ($1,300) option.

So far, I'm very pleased with the EVSE Upgrade service. I'm looking forward to wiring in the meter I have and gathering some hard data on my charging consumption, and seeing how I'm doing on the kW/mile side of things.

I thought the 2013 model S LEAF only comes with a 3.6 kw charger. So even if the EVSE can deliver 20A 240V, how can you jam 4.8 kw of power into a 3.6 kw charger? What am I missing here?

Volusiano said:
I thought the 2013 model S LEAF only comes with a 3.6 kw charger. So even if the EVSE can deliver 20A 240V, how can you jam 4.8 kw of power into a 3.6 kw charger? What am I missing here?
It's because of
EJensen said:
This is with a 2013 "S" with the charge package. Note that the "S" is limited to a lower rate unless you get the charge package ($1,300) option.

1) Is the upgraded EVSE that you received the newer smaller (2013?) ones? 2) May I ask what the release form says that I understand one is asked to agree to?

MikeD said:
1) Is the upgraded EVSE that you received the newer smaller (2013?) ones? 2) May I ask what the release form says that I understand one is asked to agree to?

And if it is one of the 2013 smaller EVSEs, can you post a photo of it?

Here are pics of my 2013 nissan unmodified charge adapter.

2013leafchargeadapter.jpg

2013leafchargeadapterrear.jpg

Some 'S' models do come with the 6.6kW charger built in and you could negotiate the same lease price as if you had the lower charger. Win-win..

Nice I like the slimmer 2013 EVSE. I still have my original L1 EVSE from my old LEAF, Thinking about sending it out to get modded. Kinda sitting around and I dont know what to do with it....right now.

Glad you are able to get 20Amps out of it though, thats awesome. perfect for MY13 Leafs with the 6.6kWh charger and the Focus Electrics.

edatoakrun said:
No mention of 20 A capability for upgrade of either EVSE here:

http://evseupgrade.com/?x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
True. I'm led to believe it's brand new. That's why they have the banner at the top of their homepage that asks 2013 Leaf owners to contact them first before ordering. I think they're still working out the ordering details.

I just received my EVSE upgrade for the 2013 S (non upgraded) unit. I don't have a killawat on my 240 20 amp circuit but, if this helps, it seems to charge about 17% battery capacity an hour. It's like lightening to me, and totally adequate for my commuting needs. My total cost of my charging solution was $532. That was $200 to run the 240, and $332 for the upgrade, and 120 adapter. I have not pursued tax rebates on these expenses at this time. That's about $15 a month over my 3 year lease. I think there is some effeciency gained on the 240, so maybe net, net, less? My cost of ownership is now the $219 lease payment and the $15 charging solution. Thx, Bob

bobsfreeleaf said:
I just received my EVSE upgrade for the 2013 S (non upgraded) unit. I don't have a killawat on my 220 20 amp circuit but, if this helps, it seems to charge about 17% battery capacity an hour. It's like lightening to me, and totally adequate for my commuting needs. My total cost of my charging solution was $532. That was $200 to run the 220, and $332 for the upgrade, and 110 adapter. I have not pursued tax rebates on these expenses at this time. That's about $15 a month over my 3 year lease. I think there is some effeciency gained on the 220, so maybe net, net, less? My cost of ownership is now the $219 lease payment and the $15 charging solution. Thx, Bob
What did EVSEUpgrade tell you they upgraded it to? There should also be a sticker on the brick stating the current. If it IS upgraded to 20a, then your 20a circuit isn't adequate for the job.

P.S. Thinking about it, I'd be shocked if it was 20a. They would have put something besides the L6-20 plug on it, and it wouldn't have plugged into your 20a receptacle.

davewill said:
bobsfreeleaf said:
I just received my EVSE upgrade for the 2013 S (non upgraded) unit. I don't have a killawat on my 220 20 amp circuit but, if this helps, it seems to charge about 17% battery capacity an hour. It's like lightening to me, and totally adequate for my commuting needs. My total cost of my charging solution was $532. That was $200 to run the 220, and $332 for the upgrade, and 110 adapter. I have not pursued tax rebates on these expenses at this time. That's about $15 a month over my 3 year lease. I think there is some effeciency gained on the 220, so maybe net, net, less? My cost of ownership is now the $219 lease payment and the $15 charging solution. Thx, Bob
What did EVSEUpgrade tell you they upgraded it to? There should also be a sticker on the brick stating the current. If it IS upgraded to 20a, then your 20a circuit isn't adequate for the job.

P.S. Thinking about it, I'd be shocked if it was 20a. They would have put something besides the L6-20 plug on it, and it wouldn't have plugged into your 20a receptacle.
Sorry Dave, you are right, it is stated at 16 amps. I could not measure it, so I made a stupid assumption. When I had my L6-20 circuit put in, I had the electrician wire it with 30 amp wire (not that much more for a short run). But still, it is a 20 amp circuit, and the upgrade is a REV 2 which limits it to 16. However, 4.7 hours from zero to an 80% charge for $332! That's my main point. I would say they lived up to their promise. Thx, Bob

Hey bobsfreeleaf, you said you leased your Leaf.. when you turn in your lease with the new upgraded charger, Nissan will be ok with that? I just leased a 2013 Leaf (SL) and I am thinking of upgrading my charger to the 220V/20A version but just wondering if there are any implications with leasing it.

Also, when I contacted evseupgrade.com they told me my car can only draw a maximum of 20Amps, wondering if thats true as I decide between the 20Amp upgrade and the full 30Amp charging station.

tskharva said:
Hey bobsfreeleaf, you said you leased your Leaf.. when you turn in your lease with the new upgraded charger, Nissan will be ok with that? I just leased a 2013 Leaf (SL) and I am thinking of upgrading my charger to the 220V/20A version but just wondering if there are any implications with leasing it.

Also, when I contacted evseupgrade.com they told me my car can only draw a maximum of 20Amps, wondering if thats true as I decide between the 20Amp upgrade and the full 30Amp charging station.
Sigh. This one's in the FAQ at EVSEUpgrade:
I am leasing my LEAF, and am worried I might be penalized if I turn my car in with the upgraded EVSE.
At the end of your lease we will be happy to downgrade your unit for free. (you cover the shipping) I'm sure any other LEAF owner with an original unit would also be happy to swap you as well, and maybe you can even make some cash on it! In a pinch, you could simply cut the molded L6-20 connector off and install a standard screw-on plug just like the EVSE is originally shipped with, which you can purchase at any hardware store. Another option is to simply buy an additional already upgraded unit from us and keep your original unit in the trunk.
I figure that offering to trade your upgraded unit for someone's stock unit should bring takers out of the woodwork.

bobsfreeleaf said:
I think there is some effeciency gained on the 240, so maybe net, net, less? My cost of ownership is now the $219 lease payment and the $15 charging solution.
Yes, the difference is in efficiency is about 10 to 15%, which is significant IMHO. If you assume about 12,000 miles per year and an average economy of 3.8 miles/kWh, the difference could be about 480 kWh annually. Depending on the rate you would be paying to the utility, this could be roughly $50 a year. I think it's safe to deduct between $100 to $200 in electricity savings from the total price spent on a 240V EVSE solution for the duration of a 3-year lease.

davewill said:
tskharva said:

Sigh. This one's in the FAQ at EVSEUpgrade:
I am leasing my LEAF, and am worried I might be penalized if I turn my car in with the upgraded EVSE.
At the end of your lease we will be happy to downgrade your unit for free. (you cover the shipping) I'm sure any other LEAF owner with an original unit would also be happy to swap you as well, and maybe you can even make some cash on it! In a pinch, you could simply cut the molded L6-20 connector off and install a standard screw-on plug just like the EVSE is originally shipped with, which you can purchase at any hardware store. Another option is to simply buy an additional already upgraded unit from us and keep your original unit in the trunk.
I figure that offering to trade your upgraded unit for someone's stock unit should bring takers out of the woodwork.

Thanks I did see that on the FAQ - but SVSEupgrade.com told me that Nissan wouldn't even notice the upgraded unit when I turn it in. Also - is the 20Amp upgrade just as good as the 30Amp home charing station (assuming my Leaf can only draw up to 20 Amps)?

tskharva said:
Thanks I did see that on the FAQ - but SVSEupgrade.com told me that Nissan wouldn't even notice the upgraded unit when I turn it in. Also - is the 20Amp upgrade just as good as the 30Amp home charing station (assuming my Leaf can only draw up to 20 Amps)?
It will have the wrong plug on it, so they'll definitely notice if you don't change it back as the FAQ mentions. As far as being "just as good as 30a" it depends on your LEAF. If you have the 3.3kW charger, then the car won't draw more than 16a, and it will be just as good. If you have the 6kW charger, then it can draw 27a+, and you will be a bit short. However, for home charging either 16a or 20a is pretty decent.

We've had a number of customers turn in their LEAFs, including several that were given buy-back offers in Arizona, and they experienced no problems with the upgraded unit tucked in it's bag in the trunk with the 120v adapter attached. However, I'm not advising people do this. I'd rather see it swapped out to a new LEAF owner in the community, who is usually even willing to pay for the swap. Then you get a like-new unit to turn in and everyone is happy.

Failing that, we stand behind our customers, and as the FAQ clearly states; we will be happy to "downgrade" a unit if the customer pays for the shipping. We've never yet had to do this, as we can usually put them in touch with someone who wants to pay them for the swap.

We are now shipping a new advanced upgrade for 2013 owners that allows about 5kW charging on most 2013's (with the 6kW charger option). While this isn't the absolute maximum, it still manages a charge speed that only differs by mere minutes in most cases (typical charge times are about 2-4 hours). The upshot is a drastic reduction in cost while also reducing the electrical requirements to a critical threshold, which in a lot of cases can save even more money. We also have full user programmability of the charge rate, so you can scale back the speed if needed, for instance you can set a special low speed mode for airport charging to avoid a dead battery. You lose all these features, including full portability, if you go with a more expensive solution.

We've had record business, since Nissan is selling a lot of 2013's, and most owners choose to have their units upgraded even if they are going to have a wall-mounted option installed. We've recently had a number of customers report that the Leviton units sold by Home Depot are not reliably charging new LEAFs, and they come out in the morning only to find it has not charged. Our units have been proven to be very reliable and always get the job done.

Unfortunately we have not had the time to update our web site with all this new information for 2013, but we should have it up soon. We will also soon be offering an upgrade program for 2011/2012 upgrade owners to get new features on their Rev1/Rev2 units as well.

-Phil

Back