Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
I think that 200 miles/leg is too optimistic for that transcontinental trip. 180 at most, and that would still limit it to maybe 4 EVs...
200 miles falls into my 'with extreme care' range, requiring all sorts of compromises regarding speed, route, HVAC use, wider SoC range etc. You can shorten the range as much as you wish to allow more cushion. As I said, I don't consider such trips practical, they fall into the category of 'Driving Adventure', like Tony Williams first 'BC to BC' LEAF trip. The point of those is to make it any way you can, not whether it's a practical use of someone's time.

As noted upthread, a Bolt has an EPA Hwy range of 217 miles which probably equates to a no wind, flat ground steady cruise at temps around 70 deg., of 65 +- 3 mph. 200 miles would require using up 13 of my normal minimum 30 mile reserve, no HVAC, ideal conditions, slowing below 65, etc. What I consider practical leg range (as noted in that post) between QCs is no more than 140.

Three more sites have opened, making 20 for the month and 110 total: Chubbuck, ID (I-15, just N. of Pocatello); Junction, TX (I-10, between San Antonio and El Paso); League City, TX (I-45, between Houston and Galveston).

So 21 in 28 days. 111 of 484 cycle 1 locations. They still have 373 left to open. At this rate, that’s almost 500 days. Compared to the 132 days left to the end of the cycle. Hmmm.

I hope the rate goes up in the spring, assuming the northern states ever thaw from this frigid winter.

I'm going to backpedal my last post just a touch. Earlier in the thread, it was revealed that EA should have the 484 Cycle 1 locations done by the end of 2019. They also said that some of the Cycle 2 locations will be open, pushing it closer to 500 stations by the close of 2019.

That's 10 months. 306 days. That's an average of 5 stations every 3 days. Who here honestly thinks they will pull it off? I have my doubts.

If they do, Guy is going to have his hands full if he is going to keep tracking them!

Four more have opened, making four for the month and 115 total. They may have been added yesterday evening, but I didn't check so I'll put them in March instead of February. Considering the awful winter weather we've been having the past two months, I'm surprised they finished as many as they did. Anyway:

Island City, OR (SR 82 nr. I-84 E. of Pendleton); Grand Junction, CO (I-70 nr. Jct. U.S. 50); Denton, TX (Jct. I-35E/W); Wake Forest, NC (Jct. U.S. 1/SR 98 N. of Raleigh).

BTW, the opening of Chubbuck, ID, makes it possible using extreme care to drive between Seattle (actually, as far south as Portland, as far north as Vancouver B.C.,or as far west as Aberdeen/Port Angeles WA) and SLC, as follows: Seattle - (North Bend, WA, 30 miles, only needed if you're coming from well N., S. or W. of Seattle) - Ellensburg, WA (80 miles, 110 from Seattle) - Spokane Valley, WA (183 miles) - Missoula, MT (184 miles) - Butte, MT (120 miles) - Dell, MT (99 miles) - Idaho Falls, ID (102 miles, can be skipped) - Chubbuck, ID (48 miles, or 147 from Dell) - Salt Lake City, UT (168 miles).

As to how much work I'll have tracking these, once they get the network established and start infilling to boost capacity I won't bother tracking them all, the same procedure I followed with SCs. I'll just mention any of interest to me that provide useful expansion of coverage/density.

GRA said:
Four more have opened, making four for the month and 115 total. They may have been added yesterday evening, but I didn't check so I'll put them in March instead of February. Considering the awful winter weather we've been having the past two months, I'm surprised they finished as many as they did. Anyway:

Island City, OR (SR 82 nr. I-84 E. of Pendleton); Grand Junction, CO (I-70 nr. Jct. U.S. 50); Denton, TX (Jct. I-35E/W); Wake Forest, NC (Jct. U.S. 1/SR 98 N. of Raleigh).

BTW, the opening of Chubbuck, ID, makes it possible using extreme care to drive between Seattle (actually, as far south as Portland, as far north as Vancouver B.C.,or as far west as Aberdeen/Port Angeles WA) and SLC, as follows: Seattle - (North Bend, WA, 30 miles, only needed if you're coming from well N., S. or W. of Seattle) - Ellensburg, WA (80 miles, 110 from Seattle) - Spokane Valley, WA (183 miles) - Missoula, MT (184 miles) - Butte, MT (120 miles) - Dell, MT (99 miles) - Idaho Falls, ID (102 miles, can be skipped) - Chubbuck, ID (48 miles, or 147 from Dell) - Salt Lake City, UT (168 miles).

As to how much work I'll have tracking these, once they get the network established and start infilling to boost capacity I won't bother tracking them all, the same procedure I followed with SCs. I'll just mention any of interest to me that provide useful expansion of coverage/density.

Aberdeen?? Not quite. As far as the other trips you mentioned? They were doable before although some only became available last Summer with Evita installs.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Aberdeen?? Not quite. As far as the other trips you mentioned? They were doable before although some only became available last Summer with Evita installs.
Aberdeen is easy, 118 miles to North Bend via SR 8/U.S. 101/I-5/SR 18. Even if you go through Seattle it's only 139 miles. As for Port Angeles, I was deliberately being conservative, because it's possible to make it all the way from Cape Flattery to North Bend if you take the ferry (Kingston - Edmunds) across Puget Sound (191 miles).

As for when something's doable, I'm referring to using only EA QCs. In many instances there are other QCs that will allow you to close a leg, but that means the hassle of dealing with multiple providers, usually with lower power QCs.

GRA said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Aberdeen is easy, 118 miles to North Bend via SR 8/U.S. 101/I-5/SR 18. Even if you go through Seattle it's only 139 miles. As for Port Angeles, I was deliberately being conservative, because it's possible to make it all the way from Cape Flattery to North Bend if you take the ferry (Kingston - Edmunds) across Puget Sound (191 miles).

As for when something's doable, I'm referring to using only EA QCs. In many instances there are other QCs that will allow you to close a leg, but that means the hassle of dealing with multiple providers, usually with lower power QCs.

Using your EA only comments;

Only someone who doesn't live here would say Aberdeen is easy. Realize other than a Level 2 at a chevy dealership, there is no charging facilities there (unless you drive a Tesla) so all those one way distances need to be doubled for a day trip.

But that doesn't stop there. EA has no current plans to put anything in the lower Olympic Peninsula.

DaveinOlyWA said:
GRA said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Only someone who doesn't live here would say Aberdeen is easy. Realize other than a Level 2 at a chevy dealership, there is no charging facilities there (unless you drive a Tesla) so all those one way distances need to be doubled for a day trip.

But that doesn't stop there. EA has no current plans to put anything in the lower Olympic Peninsula.
I assume that both start and finish points will have L2, either because someone lives there or there are public chargers. If that's not the case then my comments don't apply. Taking that as understood, would you agree that anyone who lives in Aberdeen and has home charging can drive from there to SLC using only EA QCs enroute?

GRA said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
GRA said:

I assume that both start and finish points will have L2, either because someone lives there or there are public chargers. If that's not the case then my comments don't apply. Taking that as understood, would you agree that anyone who lives in Aberdeen and has home charging can drive from there to SLC using only EA QCs enroute?

Ok, so it works one way. There would be a small group coming from Aberdeen and considering its proximity to the coast, the much larger group would going to Aberdeen.

Now Lacey will solve that issue being close enough that most EVs (less than a few years old) will be able to make that round trip but at this point, not a single stone has been turned at that location.

DaveinOlyWA said:
GRA said:
Ok, so it works one way. There would be a small group coming from Aberdeen and considering its proximity to the coast, the much larger group would going to Aberdeen. <snip>
Both ways for people who live there (or can use public L2s), which was my intent. Otherwise I'd have said "people can drive from North Bend, WA to Chubbuck, Idaho using only EA QCs", or else "people can drive from anywhere within a round-trip radius of one of those points etc. to the other ditto, if they don't have L2 charging at one or both of the end points," which is getting pretty clumsy.

Three more have opened, making 7 for the month and 118 total: Salt Lake City, UT (S. Jct. I-15/80); Lansing, MI (N. Jct, I-69/96); Knoxville, TN (I-40, SW of city). There are now EA QCs in 33 states.

Four more sites have opened, making 12 for the month and 123 total: Hermiston, OR (I-84); Round Rock, TX (I-35 N. of Austin); Girard, OH (I-80 NNW of Youngstown); Abingdon, MD (I-95 between Baltimore and Wilmington).

Hermiston knocks about 185 miles off the trip from Seattle to SLC, and knocks almost 420 miles off the the trip from Portland to SLC albeit the first leg to Hermiston still requires extreme care. Round Rock allows driving between DFW and Austin/San Antonio, the latter with great care. With Girard, you can travel from NYC to Cleveland or with extreme care Toledo, or(via Mansfield) to Columbus easily and Dayton with some care. To get to Indianapolis still requires either Columbus or Huber Heights, both "Coming Soon". Abingdon makes DC to NYC doable with great care, or with a detour to King of Prussia, easy.

Lacey Walmart has broken ground. Looks like 4 stations and positioned where a LEAF could charge in a non designated parking space as long as the cord will stretch about 6-7 feet.

Five more sites have opened, making 18 for the month and 129 total: Battle Mtn., NV (I-80 btwn Winnemucca and Elko); Booneville, MO (I-70, btwn STL and KCM, W. of Columbia); Mishawaka, IN (I-80/90, N.E. of South Bend); Valdosta, GA (Jct. I-75/U.S. 221); Lake City, FL ((Jct. I-10/U.S. 441, east of Jct. w/I-75).

Booneville makes it possible to reach Kansas City or even Topeka from Collinsville, IL with great care. Mishiwaka makes it possible to travel btwn Chicago and Toledo with care, or to Detroit via Lansing. Valdosta combined with Lake City connects I-75 all the way from Forsyth, GA with great care down to Bushnell, and from Bushnell you can get to Tampa/St. Pete or Orlando. Lake City also connects I-75 from Chipley to Jacksonville with extreme care.

Four more sites are open, making 22 for the month and 133 total: Yuma, AZ (Jct. I-8/U.S. 95); Eau Claire, WI (Jct. I-94/U.S. 53); Geneseo, IL (Jct. I-80/S.R. 82); Georgetown, KY (Jct. I-75/U.S. 62, N. of Lexington).

Geneseo is 107 miles from Williamsburg, IA (I-80), 126 from Bloomington, IN (I-80/39 or I-74/80) and 132 miles from Woodridge, IL. Eau Claire is the first site in Wisconsin and Yuma the first in Arizona, meaning there are now EA QCs in 33? states; need to check my paper tally at home to confirm [Edit: 35] . Eau Claire is 93 miles from Minneapolis but 192 from Green Bay. Tomah and Madison, WI are both 'coming soon', so they will allow travel between the Twin Cities and Chicago. From Yuma you can reach San Diego with great care (172 miles), Phoenix with extreme care (185 miles). Georgetown allows you to reach Cincinnati easily via I-75 from the south, Dayton with some care, and Columbus with great care.

Back