Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GetOffYourGas said:
True. I drove all around looking for the charger in Albany, NY marked as "Coming Soon". I couldn't find any evidence of work being done.

Again, nobody outside of EA knows the true status of their network.

Where was it located? There is an EVGo dual station at Hannaford Supermarket in Albany, near the interstate.

GetOffYourGas said:
So does their map include the "Community DC" sites, or just the "Highway DC" ones? If just the latter, why? Are the former not available to the general public? I can understand leaving off the L2 sites.

I believe their language was that they would have 300 highway sites open or under construction by June 2019.
Right.

The community DC sites are listed on the map although there aren’t many of them yet so most of what you see are highway sites.

Community AC sites are being developed by a few other charging providers that EA has subcontracted to. The few AC sites that are open do not seem to be listed on the map (so far, anyway).

JeffN said:
GetOffYourGas said:
True. I drove all around looking for the charger in Albany, NY marked as "Coming Soon". I couldn't find any evidence of work being done.

My impression is that “coming soon” seems to mean that design plans have been created, submitted, and approved for permits. It does not imply that physical construction has begun.

It has become quite apparent that coming soon happens as soon as the site is verified.

LeftieBiker said:
GetOffYourGas said:

Where was it located? There is an EVGo dual station at Hannaford Supermarket in Albany, near the interstate.

The EA station is tagged as "coming soon" on the backside of the Walmart opposite the Crossgates Mall. I drove all around and couldn't find it. PlugShare matches EA's map.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/169420

I am familiar with the EVGo chargers in the Albany area. I use two of them somewhat frequently when passing through. Both are at a Hannafords, not far from I-90.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/96119
https://www.plugshare.com/location/94725

Trouble is, both are limited to 100A. My Bolt can take 150A. Newer EVs can take even more. EA will provide more like 300A. Unless you have a Leaf, and then EA doesn't care much to support you; you are stuck with a 50kW charger (I don't know how many amps).

DaveinOlyWA said:
JeffN said:
GetOffYourGas said:

My impression is that “coming soon” seems to mean that design plans have been created, submitted, and approved for permits. It does not imply that physical construction has begun.

It has become quite apparent that coming soon happens as soon as the site is verified.
That’s not my impression because EA has been filing quarterly reports with California (CARB) listing how many sites have been acquired vs design in progress vs permits filed vs permits obtained. They have reported many more sites acquired than have been listed as “coming soon” on the map.

JeffN said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
JeffN said:

That’s not my impression because EA has been filing quarterly reports with California (CARB) listing how many sites have been acquired vs design in progress vs permits filed vs permits obtained. They have reported many more sites acquired than have been listed as “coming soon” on the map.

That is true in some cases. I knew about the Walmart in Lacey getting one almost 2 years before it was announced although I thought it was EVGO putting it in instead of EA but who knows? There seems to be a different set of rules for each location.

DaveinOlyWA said:
JeffN said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

That is true in some cases. I knew about the Walmart in Lacey getting one almost 2 years before it was announced although I thought it was EVGO putting it in instead of EA but who knows? There seems to be a different set of rules for each location.
It's never been clear to me just what "Coming soon" implies for EA, whether site acquisition, design, permits, contract let, or even construction begun; it's probably not the latter. Given the pace at which they complete them once they're on the map, I'm not too concerned with the details. "Coming soon" for EA is a lot more solid than the same designation from Tesla.

Currently, no EA stations are free to NCTC Nissan customers. I just recently talked to a EZ Charge rep on the phone, and they are following up with their back office to determine if / when they will be setting something up with EA so Nissan owners can use them for free. They do work with all Leafs...just they will cost you their standard rate.

jdcbomb said:
Currently, no EA stations are free to NCTC Nissan customers. I just recently talked to a EZ Charge rep on the phone, and they are following up with their back office to determine if / when they will be setting something up with EA so Nissan owners can use them for free. They do work with all Leafs...just they will cost you their standard rate.
And an impressive rate it is. $1 to start and ~ 35 cents a minute.

Sheeeit

DNAinaGoodWay said:
jeffN, thanks, very interesting. So, can I use my EVgo card at an EA station?
No that I am aware of.

There are EVGO stations that have EA Signage which are fine to use with NCTC but they are still EVGO stations. FYI; the two don't use the same hardware so quite easy to tell them apart.

Anybody else is concerned about the ratio of SAE combo/CHAdeMO this company installs?
I m looking at 12 ports coming online soon in my area and there will only be 1 CHAdeMO plug. Seems to me this is not representative of the EV on the roads today!

azdimy said:
Anybody else is concerned about the ratio of SAE combo/CHAdeMO this company installs?
I m looking at 12 ports coming online soon in my area and there will only be 1 CHAdeMO plug. Seems to me this is not representative of the EV on the roads today!

Yeah and whats worse is there is a possibility that ONE chademo will be unavailable if some nimrod with a CCS takes that station over another empty one...

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2018/11/is-volkswagens-punishment-for.html

azdimy said:
It is not. About 90% of the EVs being sold today in the US are Tesla.
But this is a LEAF forum, so lets talk about CHAdeMO. Latest sales figures place CHAdeMO at about 5% of Tesla sales and about 4.5% of current BEV sales.

If EA was to represent CHAdeMO proportionally, there would be one CHAdeMO cable for every 22 cables.
There is most certainly discrimination going on here, but it is not against CHAdeMO.

uc

Data from: https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

SageBrush said:
azdimy said:
It is not. About 90% of the EVs being sold today in the US are Tesla.
But this is a LEAF forum, so lets talk about CHAdeMO. Latest sales figures place CHAdeMO at about 5% of Tesla sales and about 4.5% of current BEV sales.

If EA was to represent CHAdeMO proportionally, there would be one CHAdeMO cable for every 22 cables.
There is most certainly discrimination going on here, but it is not against CHAdeMO.

uc

Data from: https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

He did say "cars on the road today" not "cars sold today"

Address that.

DaveinOlyWA said:
He did say "cars on the road today" not "cars sold today"
Address that.

It should be obvious, but I'll take a moment to spoon feed you.

1, Sales are increasing 40-100% a year overall (due to Tesla.) The EVs on the road from sales in 2011-2017 will be only a small fraction of the fleet in a few short years. The EA network is not designed to serve the EVs of yesteryear, but the EVs of the next decade. The data says that those EVs are not CHAdeMO.

2, The majority of LEAFs sold are not highway DCFC users, and the number of road trips in a LEAF is minute. That is certainly true for the 24 kWh model, and almost as most true for the 30 and 40 kWh model. The 60 kWh LEAF can be expected to be seen tripping on the interstate ... but that is only relevant from here onward.

3. You may try to argue that LEAFs are consumers of urban DCFC but that is opportunistic and will not occur on the EA network that charges $1 to connect and then ~ 33 cents a minute for at best a 45 kW charge rate

Even a blind man can see that VW is tailoring the network to suit their needs. If not for the settlement, there would be ZERO chademo plugs.

I agree...EA rates are on the high side...almost double of what I would expect. But they've done a decent job of locating them close to popular highways outside of city centers generally.

They apparently want to become a profitable company after the VW settlement money runs out.

jdcbomb said:
I agree...EA rates are on the high side...almost double of what I would expect. But they've done a decent job of locating them close to popular highways outside of city centers generally.

They apparently want to become a profitable company after the VW settlement money runs out.

Not everyone shares the ideology that EA has done a good job of locating stations. EVGO and Chargepoint are furious with them.

Back