Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is quite a bit more background material in my article:

https://electricrevs.com/2019/01/08/electrify-america-working-with-hubject-to-add-plug-and-charge-support/

In order to use PnC, a vehicle must have a unique public key certificate issued and installed very similarly to how a secure website needs a certificate and matching private key to have an “https” URL that authenticates its identity to users and their browser software. The PnC certificates are based on the same X.509 standard used for Internet website certificates......

With all of this in place, a driver can arrive at a charger, perhaps at an Electrify America site, and plug in their car. This would automatically result in their car creating a TLS (also known as SSL) connection to the charging station almost exactly the way a browser would connect to a website with an https URL.

The actual communications involved are very much like a web transaction because CCS sets up a private network between the charger and the vehicle based on the same Internet protocol standards like TCP, UDP, IP, and TLS that are used between a home Internet router and your home’s network-connected computers and other devices.

Couldn't access the site for the past few days, but as of Thursday, 1/10, five more sites had opened, making 12 for the month and 72 total: Flagler, CO (I-70, between Limon and Burlington); Vinita, OK (I-44, between Tulsa and Joplin); Effingham, IL (I-70, between St. Louis and Indianpolis); Cambridge, OH (I-70, between Columbus and Wheeling/Pittsburgh); and Orlando, FL (Jct. U.S. 441 & S.R. 482, near I-4).

The increased number of sites is really starting to connect up multiple urban areas now. For instance, although it's not really practical use yet, you can now drive (with great or extreme care) from Green Bay or Indianapolis or Denver to OKC or even DFW. Orlando opens up Jax.-Tampa, Gainesville-W.Palm Beach, etc. Although I expect some of these were hold-overs from December that would have completed but for the holidays, 12 in 1/3rd of a month is a very encouraging pace. If the weather allows, I'd think they might hit 20 this month, maybe more, and to my surprise a high proportion of these new ones have still been north of the freeze line.

BTW, when I say a trip will take 'care', this is roughly what I mean. I take the Bolt's 217 mile HWY range as a base, and assume that any leg will be from QC to QC, charging to 80% SoC and keeping a 15% (but not less than 30 mile) reserve. For the Bolt that works out to a range of 141 miles, but that's before any reductions. Obviously, the first leg of the day you will probably start with a higher SoC, so can go further. I assume that EPA HWY range equates to about 65 mph steady state cruising, give or take about 3 mph for variation between more or less efficient cars. Every 5 mph above 65 reduces the range about 20 miles. So, while these numbers aren't fixed in stone and vary with conditions and the particular vehicle, here's about what I mean:

Legs of

<80 miles. Unless you're cruising at 80+ with the heat/def. on max. and a headwind/wet road/climb, you've got no worries.
80<100 miles. Generally no worries.
100-120 miles. Might need some care. (poss. need 1 technique)
120-140 miles. Will need some care. (1, poss. 2 techniques)
140-160 miles. Will need care. (2, poss. 3 techniques)
160-185 miles. Will need great care. (3 or more techniques)
186+ miles. Will need extreme care. (Will probably need everything).

The range-stretching techniques in question are:

Reducing speed below the speed limit/flow of traffic.
Charging above 80%.
Limited/no use of HVAC (incl. use of seat/steering wheel heat/cool) other than fan.
As above, no heaters.
Gentle, smooth driving.
Only in ideal conditions.
Speed reduction so great that freeway driving is unsafe/illegal, so some portion of the trip will require traveling on parallel U.S./state/county highways with slower speeds.
Using some of emergency reserve.

3 more sites are open, making 15 for the month and 75 total: North Bend, WA (I-90 E. of Seattle); Elko, NV (I-80 between Winnemucca and Wendover); Commerce, GA (Jct. I-85/U.S. 441 between Atlanta and Greenville, now re-opened).

GRA said:
3 more sites are open, making 15 for the month and 75 total: North Bend, WA (I-90 E. of Seattle); Elko, NV (I-80 between Winnemucca and Wendover); Commerce, GA (Jct. I-85/U.S. 441 between Atlanta and Greenville, now re-opened).

North Bend must have set record for quickest break down ever...

EA is obviously way, way behind in their plans but they do seem intent on building them. I wondered more about the "5000" ports. How many can be used concurrently ?

SageBrush said:
EA is obviously way, way behind in their plans but they do seem intent on building them. I wondered more about the "5000" ports. How many can be used concurrently ?

well 900 stations implies 5½ each so guessing 10-12 plugs. The average in this area is 4; 3 dual power CCS and one dual format CCS/Chademo. 8 plugs total. Have heard of a dozen or so larger locations, only a few smaller.

But if using a stricter definition of ports, that would assume only half are usable at any given time.

I think they need to slow it down and work on the interface. Seems like everyone is having anywhere from a little to a lot of issues getting the stations to work.

DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:

well 900 stations implies 5½ each so guessing 10-12 plugs. The average in this area is 4; 3 dual power CCS and one dual format CCS/Chademo. 8 plugs total. Have heard of a dozen or so larger locations, only a few smaller.

But if using a stricter definition of ports, that would assume only half are usable at any given time.

I think they need to slow it down and work on the interface. Seems like everyone is having anywhere from a little to a lot of issues getting the stations to work.
You say "The average in this area is 4." Four what ? stations per location ? How many cars can charge concurrently at a station ?

Perhaps we can add some clarity. Is this correct ?
A station may have more than one charge port
A charge port may have multiple cables but only one may be used at a time.

When EA says they plan to build 900 stations, how many cars can charge concurrently ?

GetOffYourGas said:
76 down, 824 to go. It's going to be a busy 5.5 months! :lol:

ElectrifyAmerica said:
Electrify America is investing in roughly 900 charging stations across the United States by mid-2019. These stations have multiple dispensers with more than 5,000 charging ports available.

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/our-plan
IIRR those totals include all the L2 sites/stations they're building at workplaces and MUDs. QC total end of June is supposed to be 300 sites complete or in progress, IIRC.

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:

You say "The average in this area is 4." Four what ? stations per location ? How many cars can charge concurrently at a station ?

When EA says they plan to build 900 stations, how many cars can charge concurrently ?
When EA says stations they mean locations (as in gas stations).

They are building three types of location:

1. Highway DC with 4 to 10 charging spaces (charge ports in your lingo) that can be used in parallel at full power (no power-splitting m). Typically, 2 spaces are 350 kW CCS and the rest are 150 kW with one of them also having a CHAdeMO cable. They aim to build about 300 of these in Cycle 1 with maybe 200 done by June 2019 the rest finished by end of 2019.

2. Community DC with 3 to 6 charging spaces that can be used in parallel at full power. The original intent was for most to be 50 kW but they changed to making most of them 150 kW where the utility drop supports that. They aim to have about 184 of these in 17 metro areas across the US for Cycle 1.

3. These are L2 240V AC installations within the 17 metro cities at residential complexes and workplaces etc. They seem to be aiming for around 400 sites although I thought more like 650 originally. They have subcontracted these installations to other charging providers to install but are overseeing locations selection.

Cycle 2 begins in July 2019 and goes until the end of 2021. They have filed a CA plan and gotten it approved. It leans more on community charging and less on highway. In CA, community charging sites in Cycle 2 will tend to have more charging spaces than in Cycle 1.

The National Cycle 2 plan should be released in the next several weeks for EPA approval and we don’t know the plan yet although I expect more expansion of highway charging.

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:

So does their map include the "Community DC" sites, or just the "Highway DC" ones? If just the latter, why? Are the former not available to the general public? I can understand leaving off the L2 sites.

I believe their language was that they would have 300 highway sites open or under construction by June 2019. Given that we know there are sites under construction that aren't listed on their map (I personally have seen the one in Herkimer, NY even though it's not yet listed), perhaps they aren't all that far behind. There is probably no way of knowing for certain how many sites are in progress right now.

GetOffYourGas said:
So does their map include the "Community DC" sites, or just the "Highway DC" ones? If just the latter, why? Are the former not available to the general public? I can understand leaving off the L2 sites.

I believe their language was that they would have 300 highway sites open or under construction by June 2019. Given that we know there are sites under construction that aren't listed on their map (I personally have seen the one in Herkimer, NY even though it's not yet listed), perhaps they aren't all that far behind. There is probably no way of knowing for certain how many sites are in progress right now.

On the flipside several have been listed as under construction that have not turned a shovel yet.

True. I drove all around looking for the charger in Albany, NY marked as "Coming Soon". I couldn't find any evidence of work being done.

Again, nobody outside of EA knows the true status of their network.

Sorry if this has been asked already, but lately I’ve noticed some EVgo stations have been co-branded with Electrify America stickers. Haven’t found out yet if they’re merging or what. Anyone know?

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Sorry if this has been asked already, but lately I’ve noticed some EVgo stations have been co-branded with Electrify America stickers. Haven’t found out yet if they’re merging or what. Anyone know?
They are not merging.

Very early on Electrify America wanted to show that they were doing something so they contracted with EVgo and gave them a bunch of money to upgrade some EVgo sites and co-brand them. EVgo has not been involved in later efforts while competitors like Greenlots has gotten contracts to install L2 community sites and license their charger network management software to Electrify America.

GetOffYourGas said:
True. I drove all around looking for the charger in Albany, NY marked as "Coming Soon". I couldn't find any evidence of work being done.

Again, nobody outside of EA knows the true status of their network.
My impression is that “coming soon” seems to mean that design plans have been created, submitted, and approved for permits. It does not imply that physical construction has begun.

Back