Installing quick charge port

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This link:
http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVERVIEW/e_powertrain.html

Clarifies that the inverter is NOT part of the PDU. However, the inverter doesn't appear to be required to be swapped out in the 2015 model for the upgrade since it only "Converts direct-current electricity to alternate current when driving, utilizing the motor, and then recovers energy by converting alternate current to direct current during deceleration (regeneration)."

Further since it is below the PDU, it shouldn't have to be removed.

Do I need to change the software after replacing the upper unit and installing the harness with the charging slot?

I have a 2014 Nissan Leaf S. It did not come with the CHAdeMO DC quick charge port and only charged at the 3.3kW rate. However after doing some research I found it was possible to upgrade my OBC to a stock 6.6kW charger. I have since done so using a salvage 6.6kW charger I ordered online. No software update was required. It took approximately 7 hours to remove the original stock charger and replace it with the higher power one. The operation was pretty straight forward. The only issue I have is I don't (yet) have the CHAdeMO port but it should be pretty simple to add one.

So the simple answer is YES it can be done at least on the later models 2013+. I've seen one other person who has done this and posted detailed instructions online. If anyone is interested I can try to dig up the forum where the procedure is explained in detail with pictures etc...

I've found a great deal on a 2015 SV but it doesn't have quick charge, which is mandatory for me, so I might buy it for $2500 less than the best deal I've found on one with quick charge, and add it myself. I'm undeterred by a day of DIY installing salvage yard parts but would like to hear from someone who has already done this. All info appreciated. Thanks.

Narcea said:
I have a 2014 Nissan Leaf S. It did not come with the CHAdeMO DC quick charge port and only charged at the 3.3kW rate. However after doing some research I found it was possible to upgrade my OBC to a stock 6.6kW charger. I have since done so using a salvage 6.6kW charger I ordered online. No software update was required. It took approximately 7 hours to remove the original stock charger and replace it with the higher power one. The operation was pretty straight forward. The only issue I have is I don't (yet) have the CHAdeMO port but it should be pretty simple to add one.

So the simple answer is YES it can be done at least on the later models 2013+. I've seen one other person who has done this and posted detailed instructions online. If anyone is interested I can try to dig up the forum where the procedure is explained in detail with pictures etc...

I have a 2012 Leaf with the 3.3kw (240 vac) charger. I wonder if the 6.6kw charger can be easily swapped in this model year? Anyone done that successfully? I don't believe this subject is related to the QC (CHAdeMO) charge system - however, it would certainly shorten my charge times to 1/2 current. I already have the 30 amp circuit and controller (OpenEVSE).
Appreciate any help on this one.

Narcea said:

I would love if you could dig that up. I haven't been able to find the correct wiring harness for the QC.

See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=21106. Lots of useful information on doing the swap there. I know I saw this done on another site too but can't seem to find it now.

I got a good deal on a CHAdeMO port and installed it. I still need to connect the logic lines (pins 1-4 & 7-10) of the CHAdeMO port since my Leaf S does not have the correct wiring harness. It should be possible to run some wire to the VCM or OBC to connect these lines without replacing the whole wiring harness. I just need to know what CHAdeMO pin goes to what VCM/OBC connector pin...

I know this thread is dead but I wanted to post an update just in case someone else comes across this.

Yes, it is possible to install a QC port on your Nissan Leaf if it did not originally come with it. I just finished my conversion today and charged at a CVS using the DC QC charger. It charged just fine no issues.

To do this mod you'll need at least these two manuals:

EVC - EV CONTROL SYSTEM
VC - VEHICLE CHARGING SYSTEM

If you look hard you can probably find these online for free. I know the Nico club had them but they no longer allow you to download.

You'll also need to be handy with a soldering iron and be able to read schematics...

What I did:
I got a used 6.6KW charger and used QC port. The prices for the two wire harnesses were a bit more then I wanted to pay so I wired it external to the harness. I got some connectors, 9 conductor wire, a relay and fuse. I opened the OBC (PDM) and connected the QC port with the 9 conductor wire. There is a vent hole near the rear bottom rear of the the charger. I removed the filter and fit the wire in snugly. The filter was then relocated to the back of the cover. I had to drill a new hole. PDM Pin 9 also needs to be run into the 9 conductor wire so it can be connected to the relay.

Since the wire harness does not include pin 8 for the VCM I had to carefully open it and solder a wire to the pin 8 on the VCM. There is a plugged hold in the fire wall conveniently located near the VCM to run the wire from pin 8 under the hood to the relay. The VCM is located behind the glove box. Pin 5 of the VCM is routed to fuse box IPDM Pin 55 (light grey wire). The last wire (12v) is in another fuse box. I don't have it's ID right now but it's next to the battery. This fuse box will have fuse #33 missing. One connection was there waiting for the fuse. One connection was missing. The missing connection is here the last wire was installed with the fuse.

I hope this helps. I typed this fast and from memory so it may not be clear but I hope it is clear enough you give someone the clues they need to do this themselves. I think I'm the first person to pull this off as I have not found anyone else on the internet that has gotten a QC port working. I tucked everything nicely using zip-ties and if you didn't know you would assume the car was stock.

Narcea said:
I know this thread is dead but I wanted to post an update just in case someone else comes across this.

Yes, it is possible to install a QC port on your Nissan Leaf if it did not originally come with it. I just finished my conversion today and charged at a CVS using the DC QC charger. It charged just fine no issues.

EVC - EV CONTROL SYSTEM

If you look hard you can probably find these online for free. I know the Nico club had them but they no longer allow you to download.

You'll also need to be handy with a soldering iron and be able to read schematics...

What I did:
I got a used 6.6KW charger and used QC port. The prices for the two wire harnesses were a bit more then I wanted to pay so I wired it external to the harness. I got some connectors, 9 conductor wire, a relay and fuse. I opened the OBC (PDM) and connected the QC port with the 9 conductor wire. There is a vent hole near the rear bottom rear of the the charger. I removed the filter and fit the wire in snugly. The filter was then relocated to the back of the cover. I had to drill a new hole. PDM Pin 9 also needs to be run into the 9 conductor wire so it can be connected to the relay.

Since the wire harness does not include pin 8 for the VCM I had to carefully open it and solder a wire to the pin 8 on the VCM. There is a plugged hold in the fire wall conveniently located near the VCM to run the wire from pin 8 under the hood to the relay. The VCM is located behind the glove box. Pin 5 of the VCM is routed to fuse box IPDM Pin 55 (light grey wire). The last wire (12v) is in another fuse box. I don't have it's ID right now but it's next to the battery. This fuse box will have fuse #33 missing. One connection was there waiting for the fuse. One connection was missing. The missing connection is here the last wire was installed with the fuse.

I hope this helps. I typed this fast and from memory so it may not be clear but I hope it is clear enough you give someone the clues they need to do this themselves. I think I'm the first person to pull this off as I have not found anyone else on the internet that has gotten a QC port working. I tucked everything nicely using zip-ties and if you didn't know you would assume the car was stock.

Narcea,
You are the person with whom I want to talk. Putting in the 6.6 charger and the Chameco/QC port would make my 2013 Leaf S useable for some longer trips into the bay area (I.e.). I have down loaded all your pictures and followed your story but I still have many questions> First thank you for sharing your adventure. it appears that you are a trail blazer.

I am hoping to find some used parts from a wrecked car or Ebay. As per your story, I believe that I need the 6.6w charger and the QC port and probably other stuff. I can do some basic soldering but I struggle to read wiring diagrams with precision.

Many questions:
1. I searched and found EVC - EV CONTROL SYSTEM for the 2013 Leaf but when I looked for VC - VEHICLE CHARGING SYSTEM, I found a text which is not Nissan Leaf specific. I wonder if this is the text you were speaking of or should it be a Nissan Leaf specific text?
2. I have searched around to try to find the port and 6.6w charger on the Nissan website just to get the parts number. Not as easy as finding parts for my old Toyota Echo. I will continue to search and probably find the parts numbers but if you have key words or numbers to help my in my search.

I think I have found the part number in another post = 292C0; lots of questions about the proper programming.

6kW w/QC:
292C0-3NF3A 12/01/2012 to 03/01/2013
292C0-3NF7A 03/01/2013 to 04/01/2013
292C0-3NF3B 04/01/2013 to 06/01/2013
292C0-3NF3C 06/01/2013 to 07/01/2013
292C0-3NF7B 07/01/2013 to 01/01/2014
292C0-3NF7C 01/01/2014 to 05/01/2014
292C0-3NF3D 05/01/2014 to 08/01/2015 and current replacement for all above
292C0-4NP3A 08/01/2015 to 04/20/2017

It looks like the part was updated frequently. how did you find the exact 292C0-? and how did you assure that it was properly programmed? I tried ebay but they are ouyt of stock. any other places to find the part used? I see it for sale on the Nissan website for about $1,200

3. What was you cost for those two major parts?
4. Once I find the stuff and start the process many questions fly; how do you turn off the main battery and 12 volt system? does it matter which you unplug first? Any special safe process?
5. I have examined the location of the empty QC port...a plastic cover. That is were I need more pictures and specific ideas of how to connect the QC port.
6. Part number for QC port?

OK I sound like an idiot but I am pretty good at this type of thing. I just need some guidance.

As I wrote in another post, you mentioned another link where the person had all the instructions ...do you still have that link?
Sean

I entered my car's year on the nissanpartsdeal.com website, 2013 Nissan Leaf.
I tested the part numbers cited by @sewardsfolly.
These are the ones that nissanpartsdeal.com said are compatible:
292C0-3NF7A 03/01/2013 to 04/01/2013
292C0-3NF3B 04/01/2013 to 06/01/2013
292C0-3NF3C 06/01/2013 to 07/01/2013
292C0-3NF7B 07/01/2013 to 01/01/2014

Interestingly, the first one, 292C0-3NF3A, was flagged as incompatible even though that part was also made in 2013.
I'm waiting for a 3NF7B to show up on eBay.

Thank you for this thread, it's great for a lot of us, I think.

Bubba

Found the third model on @sewardsfolly model list, on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-QUICK-CHARGE-CHARGING-POWER-DELIVERY-NISSAN-LEAF-6-6v-ELECTRIC-292C03NF3B/284032052352?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

That eBay seller had sold another just like it in October of this year, too. They must be sitting on a big, old shipment of these.
$650 is an ok price, I think, considering that shipping is included. I'm not buying yet, though. I would like to wait for someone else on this thread to buy it, install it, and tell us how it all went down, please?

glenc said:
Found the third model on @sewardsfolly model list, on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-QUICK-CHARGE-CHARGING-POWER-DELIVERY-NISSAN-LEAF-6-6v-ELECTRIC-292C03NF3B/284032052352?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

That eBay seller had sold another just like it in October of this year, too. They must be sitting on a big, old shipment of these.
$650 is an ok price, I think, considering that shipping is included. I'm not buying yet, though. I would like to wait for someone else on this thread to buy it, install it, and tell us how it all went down, please?
That guy's listing has bad info. There's no way it'd work on and '11 or '12 Leaf. The OBC is the back of the car on those and what's under the hood looks totally different.

cwerdna said:
That guy's listing has bad info.
The listing confuses volts and kilowatts, and I don't see anything electrical in the photos. It looks like it's just metalwork.

Shiny though :cool: .

Caution definitely advised.

coulomb said:
cwerdna said:
That guy's listing has bad info.
The listing confuses volts and kilowatts, and I don't see anything electrical in the photos. It looks like it's just metalwork.

Shiny though :cool: .

Caution definitely advised.
Indeed. That guy I don't think has much of an idea of what he's selling. I didn't notice the 6.6 "volt" OBC. LOL.

Narcea said:

EVC - EV CONTROL SYSTEM

What I did:

Excellent information right here! I managed to reproduce this upgrade on a 2014 LEAF. Made a video on the painful procedure :D

https://youtu.be/1kyR5omOQu8

Back