Solar fastcharging station 0% to 20% in 5 minutes

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vsaphill

ORCA Secure is an EV fastcharging station, designed in Italy andmanufactured in the USA. It accepts AC
from the grid and DC from solar panels implementing Max Power Peak EV Tracking (MPP-EVT).

MPP-EVT maximizes the transfer of energy from solar
panels to the EV battery adapting the charging power to
sunshine intensity.

At maximum performance ORCA Secure can recharge
an EV (battery energy capacity 25 KWh) from 0% to 20%
in 5 minutes.

Its robust NEMA 3R UL-certified enclosure makes it a
perfect solution for unattended installations in all-weather
conditions.

ORCA Secure merges Solar DC power with AC power
grid.

Production is expected to begin in Q1 2015.

0-20% on 25Kwh battery implies 5kwh/5 minutes. So, that would be a rate of 60Kw if my math is right. Assuming the car will accept this rate of DC charge that's great (I suspect the Leaf won't in most conditions - I've noticed that the 40Kw DCQC that I use often times is running considerably lower and I assume it is the car throttling due to battery temps/condition/whatever.

Anyway - rest of the whole "Solar charging station" bits strikes me as marketing hype - if they are grid-tied (and unless you are putting massive batteries on the site they will have to be - An array capable of pumping our 60Kw would be a huge array) then they are basically normal DCQC (or whatever) that happen to have a solar array placed nearby. Mind you I am all in favor of both, I just don't see a direct benefit of co-location during operation.

Romano didn’t give the price for ChargePoint Home, but said it would be competitive with non-networked chargers that are already available. Bosch currently offers one of the cheapest non-networked chargers for $450. Bosch’s networked model goes for $950. If Romano hits his target, ChargePoint Home could come in several hundred dollars cheaper than its competitors.

A bit more information on the Andromeda Power ORCA Secure:

http://www.prlog.org/12402703-solar-panel-owners-can-now-drive-their-electric-vehicles-evs-on-sunshine.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://andromedapower.com/uploads/AndromedaPower_PressRelease_8Dec2014_Secure_v1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want to use it, head out to Joshua Tree and hope the sun is shining: http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/57014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Otherwise, you can use the L2 station which will pull from the grid.

Slow1 said:
0-20% on 25Kwh battery implies 5kwh/5 minutes. So, that would be a rate of 60Kw if my math is right. Assuming the car will accept this rate of DC charge that's great (I suspect the Leaf won't in most conditions - I've noticed that the 40Kw DCQC that I use often times is running considerably lower and I assume it is the car throttling due to battery temps/condition/whatever.

Anyway - rest of the whole "Solar charging station" bits strikes me as marketing hype - if they are grid-tied (and unless you are putting massive batteries on the site they will have to be - An array capable of pumping our 60Kw would be a huge array) then they are basically normal DCQC (or whatever) that happen to have a solar array placed nearby. Mind you I am all in favor of both, I just don't see a direct benefit of co-location during operation.
All setups of this type are just using a tie-in inverter for the solar. I agree that the solar is a kind gimmick unless one has a massive setup already to supply power. I do see some benefit if this device can really handle a high power DC input from solar, like 1000 volts for example.

knightmb said:
Slow1 said:

All setups of this type are just using a tie-in inverter for the solar. I agree that the solar is a kind gimmick unless one has a massive setup already to supply power. I do see some benefit if this device can really handle a high power DC input from solar, like 1000 volts for example.
Actually, they don't claim that. Nowhere do they mention the solar power going to the grid when not charging. They just mention merging the solar DC with AC from the grid.
It may be that they cannot feed the grid when no cars are present.

Since they mention maximum power point tracking as a feature (it is in probably every solar inverter made), they seem to be short on unique features.

alanlarson said:
Actually, they don't claim that. Nowhere do they mention the solar power going to the grid when not charging. They just mention merging the solar DC with AC from the grid.
It may be that they cannot feed the grid when no cars are present.

Since they mention maximum power point tracking as a feature (it is in probably every solar inverter made), they seem to be short on unique features.
They may not claim it, but looking at the pictures, one does not spend $15k for solar panels to occasionally charge a leaf that happens to pass by. The description does mention that it accepts both AC from the grid and DC from the solar panels. It might be it just scales the usage of AC depending on how much power is coming in from the solar panels. I'm sure the owners can chime in here and let us know what they do with all the extra solar energy when no Leaf is charging. :)

Back