EVSE Upgrade modded EVSE now charging at full 20A @ 240V

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EJensen said:
MikeD said:
1) Is the upgraded EVSE that you received the newer smaller (2013?) ones?
No, it appears to be a modded pre-2013 model, with the larger "brick".
I'm confused about this. So if you send a 2013 Nissan unit in for an upgrade you get back a 2011/2012 unit? How is that sustainable? And if it's actually the 2013 units getting upgraded how is it that they can support 20a? I thought these new, smaller, bricks only used #14 wire and so can only go up to 15 amps.

fooljoe said:
EJensen said:
MikeD said:
1) Is the upgraded EVSE that you received the newer smaller (2013?) ones?
No, it appears to be a modded pre-2013 model, with the larger "brick".
I'm confused about this. So if you send a 2013 Nissan unit in for an upgrade you get back a 2011/2012 unit? How is that sustainable? And if it's actually the 2013 units getting upgraded how is it that they can support 20a? I thought these new, smaller, bricks only used #14 wire and so can only go up to 15 amps.

Why not contact them for an accurate answer if you are confused? This forum has far too much speculation and rumor. The units have 12G wire, that is another example of rumor that continues here.

From the evseupgrade.com support page:
Our professional upgrades are built to insure reliable extended operation and rarely need service. In the rare case you need assistance with a unit please contact us for help here.

Another useful resource is the MyNissanLeaf owners forum.
If you can dispel the rumors please do so. Post some pics.

fooljoe said:
From the evseupgrade.com support page:
Our professional upgrades are built to insure reliable extended operation and rarely need service. In the rare case you need assistance with a unit please contact us for help here.

Another useful resource is the MyNissanLeaf owners forum.
If you can dispel the rumors please do so. Post some pics.

They have a contact page with an email and a phone number. I'm not sure what picture you are looking for but I am confident you can get all your answers here:

http://evseupgrade.com/contact-form/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let me clear up some rumors, the 2013 LEAF has 12G wire, any person that owns one can read the side of the wire jacket. It is not the same cable as a Prius cable, that keeps getting repeated and it is incorrect. They also upgrade 2013 cables to 20A, and you don't have to swap for a 2011/12 cable although some folks may have.

Do we have an opinion on the build quality between the 2103 and up L1 EVSE vs. the older unit?

I personally like the older unit better. For one thing, I like the older style Yazaki connector better than the newer one. But then, the newer unit is more compact.

I now have both and haven't had problems with either. The newer unit is by far a superior product thanks to its slimmer size, more flexible firmware, and ability to work with other vehicles (like my Rav4-EV) with more finicky chargers. I can see what you're saying about the older one having a more sturdy "feel", but I seriously doubt there are enough (any?) field failures of either to make any sort of a meaningful comparison of reliability.

Back