What amp 220V plug to install outside? Plug Share Options??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdherman

OK, slowly moving forward with my longstanding pursuit of an exterior plug for personal occassional charging, like when I have the garage full of a woodworking project.

I have a 2012 Leaf, the modified EVSE that can draw only 16A 220V. So I *could* just put in an L6-20 plug on the outside wall and, away we go....

But I could also put in a 30A circuit. Put in a dryer plug, and then fashion an adapter to the L6-20 on the EVSE.

Why would I do that? Well, for one, I'd like to also offer up the plug share and more amps is better right?

And for future purposes, 30A might be better for some purposes???

Or not... Seems like the various EVSE equipment seems to be stratifying into 16, 32 and 48A increments. So a 30A circuit makes little sense, if I am correct.

I could go to 40A, BUT, that would require purchasing some 8-2 cable, and I already have 10-2 at my disposal, so its either 20A or 30A outlet.

I am leaning towards the l6-20, with a 20A breaker, but I will make the run with 10-2 cable so that if someday I need 30A, I can upgrade the plug and breaker and away we go...

Sound reasonable???

Nema 14-50. Get a hot tub module, they are cheap and outdoor ready.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100193650?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=50+amp&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=100193650#.UXSLAkpJw98" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pull wire for 60 amps, but breaker it for your EVSE. Easily upgraded for a faster EVSE by changing the breaker.

Or, if you want a real panel:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203393687?productId=203393687&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC-_-product-1-_-203393689-_-203393687-_-N#.UXSL3UpJw98" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nate

nater said:
Nema 14-50. Get a hot tub module, they are cheap and outdoor ready.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100193650?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=50+amp&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=100193650#.UXSLAkpJw98" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pull wire for 60 amps, but breaker it for your EVSE. Easily upgraded for a faster EVSE by changing the breaker.

Or, if you want a real panel:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203393687?productId=203393687&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC-_-product-1-_-203393689-_-203393687-_-N#.UXSL3UpJw98" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nate
I second this, and in fact just put in that exact RV/hot tub unit from home depot (the first one) for my CS-60 and Rav4-EV. Of course if you don't wanna splurge on #6 wire (and the "extra" neutral) that's one thing, but I'd suggest that even if you go with the 20 amp receptacle and #10 wire you should run oversized conduit (I used 1") so that you can always pull bigger wires through later if need be.

One reason that you may want to put in a 30 amp breaker / receptacle if you stick with the #10 is the 2013 EVSE upgrade can pull 4 extra amps that way, but it is true that there are basically no EVSEs out there (other than open-evse or Tesla) that will supply the 24 amps to take full advantage of a 30 amp circuit, which I find ridiculous.

fooljoe said:
One reason that you may want to put in a 30 amp breaker / receptacle if you stick with the #10 is the 2013 EVSE upgrade can pull 4 extra amps that way, but it is true that there are basically no EVSEs out there (other than open-evse or Tesla) that will supply the 24 amps to take full advantage of a 30 amp circuit, which I find ridiculous.
This one will pull the max J1772 spec. Click on the detailed spec tab.
http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/ClipperCreekInc/-strse-9/CS-dsh-100/Detail.bok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vibrant discussion here.... I refuse to buy any more wire when I have the 10-2 stuff already laying around. So l6-20 it shall be.

I will say -- finding weatherproof enclosures for this has been trying. It gets boggling at the big box store what they all have and I don't have a handy electrical supply place. Seems exterior 220v installs are seldom...

Finally got it figured out I think. Found a weatherproof extender that I can pop in a 110V on one side and the l6-20 on the other, over a double gang box. Has a lock option should I develop too many plug sharers (doubtful).

I have already installed one of the 60A (48A derated) Clipper Creek units off ebay in the main garage. When I list the location on plug share, I'll make note of that option as well, incase I get some Tesla on a cross country trip. Suspect I won't get much traffic at all, except for my own Leaf, when its displaced from inside the garage due to a project...

KJD said:
This one will pull the max J1772 spec. Click on the detailed spec tab.
http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/ClipperCreekInc/-strse-9/CS-dsh-100/Detail.bok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
???? You can't install a CS-100 on a 30 amp circuit. The only options I've found for installation on a 30 amp circuit (so max 24 amps continuous) and the problems with each are:

Open-EVSE - 24 amps, but you have to build it
Tesla UMC, automatically adjusts to outlet based on adapter - 24 amps, but you have to have a Tesla or buy one and hack on j1772 connector (of course Tesla is the only company that has this figured out)
SPX Power Xpress adjusted to 24 amp setting - but it apparently doesn't work with the Leaf timer and also doesn't work with Teslas / Rav4 (not fully J1772 compliant)
EVSE upgrade - but only 20 amps
LCS-25 - but only 20 amps
Siemens Versicharge adjusted to 75% setting - but only 22.5 amps, and they specifically say it requires a 40 amp circuit even though it's adjustable :roll:

there are others that can pull only 16 amps or less, not worth listing

You can install a CS-100 on a 30 amp circuit. Send the mainboard to clipper creek and they'll reprogram it down to 30 Amp limit. They can change it a higher level if you ever upgrade the circuit.

Nate

The best target is for a Nema 14-50 with #8 wire and a 40 Amp breaker. The reason is that this is a very common cut-off point for faster 6.6kw charging and is the spec for the majority of EVSE models. It's also compatible with RVs and Welders.

Personally, I chose to use #6 wire since it loses less voltage so I waste less electricity and charge a bit faster at the car. I also went with a 50 Amp breaker since code for a Nema 14-50 is either 50 amp or 40 amp, and this would support a welder or RV at full amperage.

Pulling anything less than a 40 Amp with #6 is kind of pointless since many new EVs charge at 6.6kw and will need a 40 Amp circuit for their EVSE.

Nate

nater said:
The best target is for a Nema 14-50 with #8 wire and a 40 Amp breaker. The reason is that this is a very common cut-off point for faster 6.6kw charging and is the spec for the majority of EVSE models. It's also compatible with RVs and Welders.

Personally, I chose to use #6 wire since it loses less voltage so I waste less electricity and charge a bit faster at the car. I also went with a 50 Amp breaker since code for a Nema 14-50 is either 50 amp or 40 amp, and this would support a welder or RV at full amperage.

Pulling anything less than a 40 Amp with #6 is kind of pointless since many new EVs charge at 6.6kw and will need a 40 Amp circuit for their EVSE.

Nate

But since I am going to put a plug out there only, and not EVSE, what sort of portable EVSE is likely to benefit from the heavier circuit? No one is close to making the usual portable EVSE units that will charge at 6.6, to my knowledge....

cdherman said:
nater said:
But since I am going to put a plug out there only, and not EVSE, what sort of portable EVSE is likely to benefit from the heavier circuit? No one is close to making the usual portable EVSE units that will charge at 6.6, to my knowledge....
Good point. I trust you saw the fallacy in Nate's statement. The simple fact that an EV can charge at 6.6kW doesn't mean that it needs to charge at that rate at home. Faster L2 charging is much more important away from home than it is in the home, where most charging is overnight.

Ray

cdherman said:
Tesla Mobile Connector, Open-EVSE, SPX Power Express, or just about any "wall-mount" unit can be made portable if you stick a plug on it - and who knows what'll be out there in a few more years.

If I were going to take my Rav4 on a long trip and planned on stopping at RV parks or other places with 50 amp circuits available I'd probably take my CS-60 down from the wall so I could charge at full speed.

And Ray, even though this is at cdherman's home, this is for charging by plugsharers who are away from home, and so could definitely benefit from a quicker charge.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but consider this scenario:

70A RV outlet box on side of house.
-plus-
OpenEVSE mounted next to it with plug running into outlet box.

Will this configuration pass code?

Back