Do It Yourself: 240v from two 120v sources

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eHelmholtz said:
Also, there's another company called streambrite that makes a similar device to the quick220 folks so quick220 maybe copyrighted but the implementation of our forum quick240 or easy240 should not be.
The Easy240 definitely appears to be subject to the Quick220 patents, but as long as you aren't selling the product you're OK.

QueenBee said:
Odd, not sure why anyone would buy that one over Quick220. This looks like a giant version of what someone would DIY. The Quick220 looks like an actual product. Obviously the real question is what is on the inside and the quality of the insides but...
I suspect this thing is no safer than the Y-cable John showed above.

QueenBee said:
It has to have relays in it right even though I can't hear them?
I suspect it doesn't have any.

QueenBee said:
What is odd though is they warn against plugging it into a reverse polarity receptacle. With the proper relays setup this should just cause them not to close.
Probably because it doesn't have any relays.

QueenBee said:
Also why can't either of these companies understand what the real voltage in North America is?!
It's crazy! I simply can not trust a product which does not advertise the actual grid voltage.

QueenBee said:
So I wonder if they are infringing on the patent?
I doubt it since I doubt it includes any relays, but at the very least they are infringing on the Quick 220 trademark by mentioning that in their description.

QueenBee said:
TonyWilliams said:
I'm sure folks know that the "Quick220" is patented.

I guess we need to know when that runs out, and I'll offer a "safe" version.

IANAL but not until Sep 4, 2018 :(

https://www.google.com/patents/US5977658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Publication number US5977658 A
Publication type Grant
Application number US 09/148,577
Publication date Nov 2, 1999
Filing date Sep 4, 1998
Priority date Sep 8, 1997
Fee status Paid
Inventors Duane W. Hoole
Original Assignee Hoole; Duane W.
Export Citation BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan
Patent Citations (7), Referenced by (2), Classifications (9), Legal Events (3)
External Links: USPTO, USPTO Assignment, Espacenet

U.S. Utility Patents that were still in force on June 7, 1995, and U.S. Utility Patents that issued on or after June 8, 1995 from applications filed before June 8, 1995 have terms that are the longer of two possibilities: 1) 17 years measured from their issue dates, or 2) 20 years measured from the earliest applicable application filing date. This "longer of two possibilities" option applies to many U.S. Utility Patents that bear patent numbers between 4,094,014 and 5,900,000.

Most U.S. Utility Patents that remain active today expire 20 years measured from the earliest filing date of an associated Utility Patent application. However, if the owner of a Utility Patent fails to pay any of three Maintenance Fees that are due 3.5, 7.5 and 11.5 years following the issue date of the Utility Patent, the Patent lapses unless the unpaid Maintenance Fee is paid during a six-month grace period together with a Late Payment Surcharge Fee.

- See more at: http://www.cosemindspring.com/Topics/Legal/Intellectual%20Property/When%20Do%20US%20Patents%20Expire.aspx#sthash.TjE3Rxcm.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's easily the most dangerous EV accessory I've ever seen someone selling. Hope he's got good lawyers!

-Phil

eHelmholtz said:
Wow! A friend just pointed this out to me. Valery over at EMW is selling Y connectors, taking 2 120V outlets to make a 240V. This is not for the faint hearted and reminds me of his initial attempts at a less than $100 EVSE. This is from his website:

"Dual 'regular' 3-prong household plug - to convert 2 120V outlets in your house into a mighty 240v supply. You will have to provide your own extension cords to reach those two sockets (which will have to be on different 'branches' in your house wiring). You can get those extension cords pretty much anywhere (Home Depot in the US, etc). Just make sure you use heavy duty 12 or 10 gauge cords. With your purchase of this adapter, we will be supplying directions on how to identify which sockets sit on different branches. It is really easy. You can also test your circuit yourself before ordering to make sure it will work with this adapter. Note the breakers for your respective outlets that you would like to use, then in your electrical panel, measure the voltage between the wires that enter the respective breakers. You will see either 240V or 0V. If you see 240V, you can use those outlets to get 240V. Note that the outlets have to be regular 120V outlets, not the GFCI type (GFCI outlets normally have a test button and a small indication light)."

dual_adapter_1412299193.jpg

Meah - it coulda been worse ... just using bare / copper wire.
:lol:
I'd admire much of V's stuff - but that certainly raises red flags - even for a risk taker like myself

Ingineer said:
That's easily the most dangerous EV accessory I've ever seen someone selling. Hope he's got good lawyers!

-Phil

eHelmholtz said:
Wow! A friend just pointed this out to me. Valery over at EMW is selling Y connectors, taking 2 120V outlets to make a 240V. This is not for the faint hearted and reminds me of his initial attempts at a less than $100 EVSE. This is from his website:

"Dual 'regular' 3-prong household plug - to convert 2 120V outlets in your house into a mighty 240v supply. You will have to provide your own extension cords to reach those two sockets (which will have to be on different 'branches' in your house wiring). You can get those extension cords pretty much anywhere (Home Depot in the US, etc). Just make sure you use heavy duty 12 or 10 gauge cords. With your purchase of this adapter, we will be supplying directions on how to identify which sockets sit on different branches. It is really easy. You can also test your circuit yourself before ordering to make sure it will work with this adapter. Note the breakers for your respective outlets that you would like to use, then in your electrical panel, measure the voltage between the wires that enter the respective breakers. You will see either 240V or 0V. If you see 240V, you can use those outlets to get 240V. Note that the outlets have to be regular 120V outlets, not the GFCI type (GFCI outlets normally have a test button and a small indication light)."

dual_adapter_1412299193.jpg

I see things have not changed there. This reckless device, HV cables running out of the window of a RAV4 EV (really) and defending non-use of GFCI protection. Just the people you want making EV stuff, no wonder they have no phone number to call when your child grabs the end of a live 5-15 plug.

johnrhansen said:
I wonder... has anyone ever tried building a combiner box without the safety relays, and actually testing what current is available on the disconnected plug? It might be possible that the evse turns off the moment it sees an anomaly in the power and will not pass the current through to the disconnected plug. Just a disclaimer.. I'm not saying the relays are not necessary, but I am curious exactly how much a danger there is without them.

Well, I initially did do the simple combine the two 120V hots with no relays. I tested it with my Tesla UMC plugged into the car. The car/UMC (which is an EVSE) does indeed complete the circuit and when you unplug one of the plugs, you do indeed read 120V on the PLUG. ie. shock hazard. Annnd, in the interests of science, I did willfully touch the neutral/hot (or maybe it was the ground/hot) on the hot 120V plug and got a shock. I didn't leave my finger there long. And I didn't measure the current. But I can say that the car/UMC did not trip when I got shocked.

I've since built a unit with relays :D

eHelmholtz said:
Wow! A friend just pointed this out to me. Valery over at EMW is selling Y connectors, taking 2 120V outlets to make a 240V. This is not for the faint hearted and reminds me of his initial attempts at a less than $100 EVSE.

I emailed them about the danger of this last week. Haven't heard a reply. I notice they are still selling them. Sigh. I actually bought one of their Juiceboxes just to have a 15 kW EVSE. I'm a sucker for startup companies! Anyways, in hindsight, I can't say I'm too impressed by the Juicebox. Safety, reliability and careful design are not adjectives I would use with this company...

Cosmacelf said:
eHelmholtz said:
Wow! A friend just pointed this out to me. Valery over at EMW is selling Y connectors, taking 2 120V outlets to make a 240V. This is not for the faint hearted and reminds me of his initial attempts at a less than $100 EVSE.

I emailed them about the danger of this last week. Haven't heard a reply. I notice they are still selling them. Sigh. I actually bought one of their Juiceboxes just to have a 15 kW EVSE. I'm a sucker for startup companies! Anyways, in hindsight, I can't say I'm too impressed by the Juicebox. Safety, reliability and careful design are not adjectives I would use with this company...

They ave been beaten to a pulp about safety here, in email and in public. Clearly profits and quick sales are the culture and focus of their company. Perhaps you can call them about this item. Here is their customer service and tech support number: xxx-xxx-xxxx. :lol:

Cosmacelf said:
johnrhansen said:
I wonder... has anyone ever tried building a combiner box without the safety relays, and actually testing what current is available on the disconnected plug? It might be possible that the evse turns off the moment it sees an anomaly in the power and will not pass the current through to the disconnected plug. Just a disclaimer.. I'm not saying the relays are not necessary, but I am curious exactly how much a danger there is without them.

Well, I initially did do the simple combine the two 120V hots with no relays. I tested it with my Tesla UMC plugged into the car. The car/UMC (which is an EVSE) does indeed complete the circuit and when you unplug one of the plugs, you do indeed read 120V on the PLUG. ie. shock hazard. Annnd, in the interests of science, I did willfully touch the neutral/hot (or maybe it was the ground/hot) on the hot 120V plug and got a shock. I didn't leave my finger there long. And I didn't measure the current. But I can say that the car/UMC did not trip when I got shocked.

I've since built a unit with relays :D

That's the only reason I was wondering.... in the interest of science. I've since thought that building the rig I'd ned to test this would take about as long as it would take me to add relays to my combiner box... so maybe safety trumps curiosity!

TonyWilliams said:
QueenBee said:
TonyWilliams said:
I'm sure folks know that the "Quick220" is patented.

I guess we need to know when that runs out, and I'll offer a "safe" version.

IANAL but not until Sep 4, 2018 :(

https://www.google.com/patents/US5977658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Publication number US5977658 A
Publication type Grant
Application number US 09/148,577
Publication date Nov 2, 1999
Filing date Sep 4, 1998
Priority date Sep 8, 1997
Fee status Paid
Inventors Duane W. Hoole
Original Assignee Hoole; Duane W.
Export Citation BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan
Patent Citations (7), Referenced by (2), Classifications (9), Legal Events (3)
External Links: USPTO, USPTO Assignment, Espacenet

U.S. Utility Patents that were still in force on June 7, 1995, and U.S. Utility Patents that issued on or after June 8, 1995 from applications filed before June 8, 1995 have terms that are the longer of two possibilities: 1) 17 years measured from their issue dates, or 2) 20 years measured from the earliest applicable application filing date. This "longer of two possibilities" option applies to many U.S. Utility Patents that bear patent numbers between 4,094,014 and 5,900,000.

Most U.S. Utility Patents that remain active today expire 20 years measured from the earliest filing date of an associated Utility Patent application. However, if the owner of a Utility Patent fails to pay any of three Maintenance Fees that are due 3.5, 7.5 and 11.5 years following the issue date of the Utility Patent, the Patent lapses unless the unpaid Maintenance Fee is paid during a six-month grace period together with a Late Payment Surcharge Fee.

- See more at: http://www.cosemindspring.com/Topics/Legal/Intellectual%20Property/When%20Do%20US%20Patents%20Expire.aspx#sthash.TjE3Rxcm.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just saw this on eBay. Would this count as copyright infringement?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EV-Emergency-Charger-for-EVSE-240-Volt-box-adapts-2x120V-household-outlets-/390834769672?pt=Electric_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item5aff914f08&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He has three of these on sale right now.

eHelmholtz said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EV-Emergency-Charger-for-EVSE-240-Volt-box-adapts-2x120V-household-outlets-/390834769672?pt=Electric_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item5aff914f08&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was wondering the same thing. I also wonder if they are actually safe. He seems to indicate that you have test the outlets first which makes me think their design is unsafe, maybe no relays?

QueenBee said:
eHelmholtz said:

I was wondering the same thing. I also wonder if they are actually safe. He seems to indicate that you have test the outlets first which makes me think their design is unsafe, maybe no relays?
It depends. The Quick220 comes with an outlet tester, too, but simply to verify whether the outlet has GFCI built in or not, that's all. But whether you test it for GFCI or not, if it's a GFIC outlet, it's going to be tripped either way, either via the outlet tester or by the Quick220. But if you test it first, at least you'll save the trouble of hooking the Quick220 to it if it trips.

I suppose the outlet tester can also catch some other faulty wiring conditions, too. But usually it's mainly for the GFCI.

What I wonder is if somebody sells such a device that doesn't use the relays, then whether that's still considered patent infringement or not.

I'm not advocating that somebody should sell such a dangerous non-relay device, of course. I'm just musing the technicality of whether it's considered infringement or not if the key component in the patent (the relays) are missing.

I didn't go through the entire thread, but rather came here from the myRav4 forum thread that referenced the schematic of the two-relay version.

I think this schematic is the minimum safe circuit:

220_adapter.png

The first two relays have 120 volt coils, the third has a 208/240 volt coil.

This insures that there is 120 volts between hot and neutral on each of the inputs AND that there's 208/240 between each hot before any hot line is connected up to the outlet.

This guards against asymmetric hot connection, same-phase connection, hot-neutral swaps and single breaker trips.

They're not present in this schematic, but a pair of neon indicators across each 120v coil and a third across the two outlet hots would complete the device.

Below is Nick's concern about the original schematic that Phil posted here some time ago:

nsayer said:
The quick240 or easy240 device is based on a schematic that was posted on the LEAF forum by Phil Sadow of EVSEuprade. This is a direct link to schematic that he has posted on his site:

pic

The original thread on the LEAF forum is: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Forgive me for jumping in on this late... but that schematic is not as safe as it can be.

What you want to do is use two DPST relays. One pole from each relay is wired in series on each hot line.

In other words, you must insure that BOTH relays are on before EITHER hot line gets any power.

If you don't do this, then you could wind up with asymmetric power on the 240 outlet. This is dangerous because you might think that there's no power because it won't work, but there would still be portions energized with 120 VAC potential to ground. Ouch!

Also, this circuit doesn't insure that you're pulling opposite phases. I believe the commercial products don't connect up the power until and unless both hots are energized and both are on opposite phases. I'm not 100% sure how they accomplish that. You could use a 208/240 volt coil DPST relay as a final step to disconnect both hot lines unless there's a 208/240 volt potential between them.

nsayer said:
I didn't go through the entire thread, but rather came here from the myRav4 forum thread that referenced the schematic of the two-relay version.

I think this schematic is the minimum safe circuit:

220_adapter.png

The first two relays have 120 volt coils, the third has a 208/240 volt coil.

This insures that there is 120 volts between hot and neutral on each of the inputs AND that there's 208/240 between each hot before any hot line is connected up to the outlet.

This guards against asymmetric hot connection, same-phase connection, hot-neutral swaps and single breaker trips.

They're not present in this schematic, but a pair of neon indicators across each 120v coil and a third across the two outlet hots would complete the device.

Can you provide us with the part numbers that you used?

LTLFTcomposite posted the following comments back in 2011:

This might be overkill but if you had extra relays could you protect against hot-neutral reversed wiring on the receptacles? If the relay is double throw it could open the neutral wired across the normally closed terminals if it detects current between (what should be) the neutral and ground.

Then
garygid wrote:

If Hot-Neutral is reversed on one input, you typically just get 120v out, not 240v.

If the phases of the two inputs is the same, you get HOT zero-voltage out.

This suggest that we do not need to add that third relay? I don't believe the box I used will accommodate the third relay. I will take it apart and get another box if this is the consensus.
Thanks
Manny

Back