Harris Ranch (California I-5 at Coalinga) Update

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy3

Another attendee at the Santa Monica Plug In America Parade suggested that I contact Harris Ranch (California I-5 at Coalinga) about their EV charger plans. They currently have a partnership of sorts with Tesla drivers where Tesla put in a charging station awhile back.

Well, I emailed Harris Ranch and received a phone call back from their management. He gave interesting news. Tesla is currently building and testing out their version of a quick-charge unit at Harris Ranch. They anticipate that when the Tesla Model S becomes available, their charger at Harris Ranch will be able to provide 45 minute charges even for their longer range battery packs.

That's great for Tesla, but there's more. They also plan to install non-Tesla quick-charger(s) at about the same time frame. They are concerned about the current debate over J1772 QC standards and will wait until that issue is resolved. They hope to have this in place in about nine months.

He has been approached by several EV owners (not just Tesla) and is keeping tabs on the amount of interest. Finally, I asked him if the Harris Ranch website could be updated with the progress on the EV charging facilities. He agreed that would happen.

Maybe next summer I'll be able to have some Harris Ranch beef while by LEAF is charging!

I'd still not likely be able to make it in my Leaf but as one of my favorite fly-in destinations, it is still good to hear.

Randy3 said:
Maybe next summer I'll be able to have some Harris Ranch beef while by LEAF is charging!

I drove by that runway once about 20 years ago, and there were TWO Beech Bonanzas geared-up on the runway. What a bunch of clowns.

Last time I in there was in the Baron a few years ago for an evening dinner. Very memorable.

Randy3 said:
They also plan to install non-Tesla quick-charger(s) at about the same time frame. They are concerned about the current debate over J1772 QC standards and will wait until that issue is resolved. They hope to have this in place in about nine months.

Thanks for update.
They don't need to wait until two standards issue is resolve.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/28/automobiles/electric-car-makers-quest-one-plug-to-charge-them-all.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&hpw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“A Chademo charger could conceivably be reconfigured as an SAE charger,” said Mark Perry, product planning director at Nissan North America.

They are right on the I-5 green highway project.
As the only fast-charging game in town for now, 17 Chademo-type fast chargers, manufactured by AeroVironment of California, will be installed on Interstate 5 from the southern border of Oregon to the northern border of Washington this year. The plan is to eventually extend them all the way to the southern border of California.

TEG said:
“A Chademo charger could conceivably be reconfigured as an SAE charger,”

'conceivably' doesn't sound like a firm promise...

Particularly when we know that the GM/Daimler/et al DC fast charger will use a different communication protocol.

It won't be just an "adapter", if it can be done at all.

TonyWilliams said:
TEG said:
“A Chademo charger could conceivably be reconfigured as an SAE charger,”

'conceivably' doesn't sound like a firm promise...

Particularly when we know that the GM/Daimler/et al DC fast charger will use a different communication protocol.

It won't be just an "adapter", if it can be done at all.

This is the second source but always double check with QC manufacturer.
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/12/compatability-questions-loom-for-high-voltage-e-v-charging/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The SAE has also concluded that it should be possible to convert existing fast-charging stations to a revised port standard. “That’s very important,” Mr. Kissel said. “Otherwise those assets would be abandoned, which wouldn’t be appropriate.”

Interesting... I happened to stop there on a drive back from Vegas (to San Jose) due to a flat tire on my Prius.

The smell there was awful and I looked into their motel and the ones around there... There were some really awful reviews for their very expensive motel + some others in the area. I didn't stay.

The restaurant is excellent and pretty much everything served there is raised/grown on the ranch...

cwerdna said:
Interesting... I happened to stop there on a drive back from Vegas (to San Jose) due to a flat tire on my Prius.
The smell there was awful and I looked into their motel and the ones around there... There were some really awful reviews for their very expensive motel + some others in the area. I didn't stay.

Back