Used Leaf in Phoenix? I have a short commute.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baragona

With a 15 mile RT commute, and used Leaf prices dropping in Phoenix, I am seriously considering getting one.

On my longest days. I drive 40 miles before I can get home and plug in, but usually it is about 20-25 miles.

A 50-mile EV would do nicely for me for a long time. So how long do you folks think a Leaf will maintain a 50 mile range in Phoenix?

I think Nissan will replace the battery to keep it above 50 miles range for 6 years? Whatever the warranty is. I think it is a good idea. I was conflicted between new and messed up used. I leased new but I probably would have gotten off cheaper with a messed up used.

Elephanthead said:
I think Nissan will replace the battery to keep it above 50 miles range for 6 years? Whatever the warranty is.
See for details of the capacity warranty: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11043" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

No, the warranty does not guarantee any range value.

cwerdna said:
Elephanthead said:
I think Nissan will replace the battery to keep it above 50 miles range for 6 years? Whatever the warranty is.
See for details of the capacity warranty: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11043" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

No, the warranty does not guarantee any range value.

Nissan just recently extended the warranty to include capacity.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121228/carnews/121229920" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would hesitate buying a Leaf in Phoenix until something significant changes. I would imagine you could still get a nice lease deal, and that would give you two years to try it out and see if a Leaf is really what you want. While you may have a short commute, Phoenix is still a big city and you will want to drive your Leaf around because it's great fun, so get a new one and enjoy the full range for a while.

I saw the same question from the OP in the Volt forum and responded there already. But some of the vital pieces of information revealed in the Volt forum but not here yet is that the OP already has a Volt, and is looking to get the LEAF for his short commute as well (I guess somebody else in his family will use the Volt).

And the used price for the LEAF the OP is considering buying is $17K. No details on how many miles and how many capacity bars left. I think this is the key thing -> a low price on a used LEAF, and the short commute (15 miles RT) means short battery range on the LEAF (due to heat) is not a concern, as long as the capacity loss is not too profound in upcoming years to affect the ability for this short commute.

You may have noted my responses in other threads. I'm a proponent of buying used at a reduced cost if you have a short commute or live in a small town. However, in this case (50 mi RT once in a while), you should be careful. A degraded Leaf in Phoenix will still continue to degrade (faster/slower/same? Who knows?) and may have less than 50 mi range in only a year or two. If you have another vehicle for those sporadic long trips, then maybe it will work. Still, remember the old adage, "never catch a falling knife." Personally, I would wait until another summer has passed to see what transpires. If the range bars stabilize, then you may be ok. But if they keep dropping like last summer, then you'll see range reduced below 50 mi before you realize it.

Looks like he went ahead and bought it already so we can probably consider this thread kinda done.

I must admit that for the kind of price ($17K) and mileage (14.8K) and capacity bar (still 12 bars), it's not a bad deal at all. I can see why he jumped on it.

He also has a Volt so the occasional 50 miles RT shouldn't be an issue for him anyway.

Back