Feb 26th Sac area gathering in Elk Grove - final headcount?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Visual

Updated 2/13/11
We're meeting at 12 noon on Feb 26th at the Elk Grove Nissan dealer, so folks who need it can charge their Leafs. We will then carpool over to BJs for lunch/refreshments/animated conversation/friendly banter (I might choose to defend the Volt against the Leaf ;) )

Some topics suggested so far:
Home charging options
Progress on public charging stations in our area (I'd love to figure out a way to get Sac airport to upgrade their chargers to J1772)

Attendees so far:
Visual, cardw (and friend), palmermd, Bassman, bytrain, Leafer, detlefo, Kataphn's brothers and mom, Harv, GeekEV

Please RSVP to me (Visual) if you're still planning to attend - I have a 12.30 reservation at BJ's, tentatively for 12 (our tentative headcount was 14). Also, they request that we not ask for separate checks.

The Amtrak Capital Corridor runs 11 times a day each direction between Sacramento and Oakland on weekends, and 16 times a day on weekdays.

It even runs on electricity! Well, in the same sense that a Volt always runs on electricity. But if you are concerned about carbon footprint, trains are somewhat better than ICE cars - at least with one person in the car. (Rough rule of thumb: train = 1/3 lb CO2 per passenger mile; car = 1/2 lb CO2/mile)

Visual said:
Since there are only 200 overall, and probably 20 or so are in the NorCal area (Bay area/Sac/I5 corridor), how about a Leaf orderers (yes, I just made that up) get-together? Might be a good way to catch up on the all the latest news/gossip/rumors - trade horror stories about ordering on the web site, etc.

I'm in Sac, but willing to use my ICE to meet somewhere central...though the purists may be offended at the thought of burning gas for a Leaf gathering :oops:

Might help to pass the time till test drives/December/deliveries (whichever comes first)...

Amit
I'll share a LEAF ride with you ! DC QC in Vacaville ! Bay Area is very doable that way. Except ... revise that ... it'd be a coin toss which LEAF makes it to the meet. I guess we'll take BOTH EVs all-the-way. Or more (there are many others in Sac) ... how about a LEAF CARAVAN ? :p We'll have to share the QC DC.

LEAFer said:
Visual said:
Might help to pass the time till test drives/December/deliveries (whichever comes first)...
I'll share a LEAF ride with you ! DC QC in Vacaville ! Bay Area is very doable that way.
What's this? Are you pulling a Lance Armstrong on us and planning to get a LEAF before December? :p

Please note the subject line. My guess is that Amit was thinking October.

planet4ever said:
LEAFer said:
Visual said:
I'll share a LEAF ride with you ! DC QC in Vacaville ! Bay Area is very doable that way.
What's this? Are you pulling a Lance Armstrong on us and planning to get a LEAF before December? :p

Please note the subject line. My guess is that Amit was thinking October.
No ... I messed up ... or said another way ... I'm so excited, in my mind the LEAF is kind of already here ! Now that it's ordered anyway ! :lol:

I should have looked at the subject line more "carfully" ! But I'm still game for a meet-up.

Sorry, should have been clearer - I was thinking of something in the next month or so, since we August order-placers (now thats GOTTA be a word) have to twiddle our thumbs till Dec. Thats why I was apologizing for the use of a gas vehicle for the meet-up.

But yes, taking the train or car-pooling makes sense. We'll first need to know the various points where people are coming from, then pick a relatively central place. San Fran/Oakland may make sense due to the BART/Amtrak connections.

Where is the Level 3 charger in Vacaville? I assume that it does not exist yet, but is planned. If so, any idea as to when?

detlefo said:
Where is the Level 3 charger in Vacaville? I assume that it does not exist yet, but is planned. If so, any idea as to when?

Seems its already installed in the parking lot next to Sonic Burger in Vacaville. Anyone for a Burger Run to check out the charger?

http://cleantechnica.com/2010/05/31/first-us-ev-fast-charger-gets-installed-in-vacaville/

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/05/our-journey-toward-public-ev-quick-charging-begins/#more-23086#ixzz0pYCkXFEv

The DC QC is working, but I am hearing PG&E has a lock on it, and using it for a test fleet of iMievs. I will find out more about it, but I'm sure by December they'll be "encouraged" to make it available for everyone's use. Not sure if a UL listing or what is the hold-up.

More info here: http://www.evnut.com/vaca_dc_fast_charger.html

If a BayArea Nissan Dealer more centrally located than Vacaville (to view a DC QC) has theirs in operation ... how about meeting there ?

(And, no Amit, it is I that messed up ... but the "NorCal Leaf gathering" had me thinking of LEAFs gathering, rather than order placers (good term).)

A Quick Charge powered by 45 kW array ... would require ALL the power (and, usually, extra power from the grid, especially mornings, evenings, and nights) just for the one QC.

This not-yet-LEAF gathering will need sufficient available parking, possibly public transportation access, shade, seating, food nearby, bathroom, not disrupt other business activities, etc.

Weekend event, N hours, some local EVs to show off, a speaker or two, ... ?

LEAFer said:
The DC QC is working, but I am hearing PG&E has a lock on it, and using it for a test fleet of iMievs.
I stopped by and checked out the quick charger in Vacaville just this past weekend. I don't think of it as locked like a traditional gas pump as I was able to pull out the plug and fondle it a bit :) However there was no power going to the unit so the display was off and pushing the two front buttons did nothing. There is a built in lock on the front panel that prevents someone from getting to the innards though. Perhaps the main cutoff switch is inside.

One thought I had was to piggy back on either the San Jose or San Fran car show, where the Leaf will be displayed, but the SF one is in Nov, SJ is Jan.

Maybe a Bay area dealer will host us, and be able to get a Leaf for a day...

Maybe it can coincide with a test drive event at a dealer? Do we know the approximate dates of any upcoming?

pkeys said:
There is this event coming up on October 9th.

http://www.greendriveexpo.com/

Nissan is listed as a sponsor. Perhaps a meet up here?

I am planning on going to this event. Anyone else from here going?

I can't make it this weekend, but I've scheduled my Leaf test drive at the San Jose event on Halloween morning.

Back