Extended Warranty

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ve2maa

My dealer ask me if I want to extend my 3 yrs warranty to 5 ou 7 yrs.
That make sense wich such new technology..
THEREFORE... Is there a way I can have an idea of the "parts" that warranty should protect ?
I know what is needed for a standard car, but fur an EV, I got no clue about the point I should look at.
What SHOULD be cover ? Otherwise, it's difficult for me to buy that protection without knowing if it really cover me !

Thanks.

Don't fall for it...and if you just have to have an extended warranty check the pricing and info in the Wiki: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Warranties,_Recalls,_Service_Bulletins,_Etc.

Especially check the pricing from Santa Rosa:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=97366#p97366" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Start here to get more current info:
http://nissansantarosaservicecontracts.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A lot of people buy the warranty from them rather than their local dealer.

davewill said:
Don't fall for it...and if you just have to have an extended warranty check the pricing and info in the Wiki: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Warranties,_Recalls,_Service_Bulletins,_Etc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Especially check the pricing from Santa Rosa:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=97366#p97366" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Start here to get more current info:
http://nissansantarosaservicecontracts.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A lot of people buy the warranty from them rather than their local dealer.
+1 on Santa Rosa and their pricing!!

Don't fall for the "don't fall for it" :roll:
I bought Nissan's extended warranty (see sig) from my dealer with knowledge of the "Santa Rosa" pricing that was pointed out previously. Yes, you should read what is covered (just about everything), but you've correctly pointed out that there are MANY new systems/sub-systems on the Leaf. What's more, I'm not really certain anyone but Nissan will be qualified to diagnose/fix this car for a few years yet. Bottom line: while I generally don't buy extended warranties, I think the Leaf is a valid exception.

Stanton said:
I bought Nissan's extended warranty (see sig) from my dealer with knowledge of the "Santa Rosa" pricing that was pointed out previously. Yes, you should read what is covered (just about everything), but you've correctly pointed out that there are MANY new systems/sub-systems on the Leaf. What's more, I'm not really certain anyone but Nissan will be qualified to diagnose/fix this car for a few years yet. Bottom line: while I generally don't buy extended warranties, I think the Leaf is a valid exception.
You have a good point about this being new technology and therefore can use the extended warranty. However, the thing is that there's already a 3-year standard warranty which should be long enough to flush out anything that's problematic already. And all you're buying is an additional 2-4 years on top of the 3 years. So what you're betting on is that the components under warranty don't have the longevity past 3 years. What most other people (myself included) bet on is that if any electronic components go wrong, they usually would go wrong the first few years already and if they last the first 3 years, chances are they'll last the next 2-4 years after that.

Volusiano said:
Stanton said:
You have a good point about this being new technology and therefore can use the extended warranty. However, the thing is that there's already a 3-year standard warranty which should be long enough to flush out anything that's problematic already. And all you're buying is an additional 2-4 years on top of the 3 years. So what you're betting on is that the components under warranty don't have the longevity past 3 years. What most other people (myself included) bet on is that if any electronic components go wrong, they usually would go wrong the first few years already and if they last the first 3 years, chances are they'll last the next 2-4 years after that.

I would buy that theory if it were a clock-radio, but not a car. Since you mentioned it, I have a theory about infant mortality vs. "wear and tear". For example, back in the days of cassette decks, etc., there would come a day when that piece of equipment would eventually "wear out" and/or need some sort of maintenance; now that we have solid state devices like iPods, etc., if they make it past the first few months, they're probably good for a LONG time. Unfortunately, I put the Leaf (and really any vehicle) into the former category. Again, I'm not convinced anyone but Nissan will be qualified to to fix these things for awhile, and we all know how expensive it is when your car goes in the shop.

Leafs are going to be rare for a long time, they use weird exotic parts and ANY repairs once your warranty is over will quickly pay for the $1000 or so for the Santa Rosa Nissan 96 month bumper to bumper extended warranty. Plus is a good resale tool.

I would only recommend the Nissan corporate plan and not just any warranty sold by the dealer, even if its a Nissan dealer.

I NEVER buy factory car warranties, but I made the exception when I bought my 2006 Prius, for the same reason I will probably think seriously of buying the Leaf warranty from Santa Rosa before I hit 36,000 miles: just one of the many computers in the Prius would exceed the cost of the warranty. Being involved intimately with electronic tech, I know that the more complicated things are, the higher the likelyhood for problems or failure. I don't know how many computers the Leaf has, but a Prius has quite a few. That being said though, I now have 90,000+ miles on the Prius, so the warranty is almost up and I haven't had to use it yet. Its all a gamble.

Stanton said:
I would buy that theory if it were a clock-radio, but not a car. Since you mentioned it, I have a theory about infant mortality vs. "wear and tear". For example, back in the days of cassette decks, etc., there would come a day when that piece of equipment would eventually "wear out" and/or need some sort of maintenance; now that we have solid state devices like iPods, etc., if they make it past the first few months, they're probably good for a LONG time. Unfortunately, I put the Leaf (and really any vehicle) into the former category. Again, I'm not convinced anyone but Nissan will be qualified to to fix these things for awhile, and we all know how expensive it is when your car goes in the shop.
Even ICE cars nowadays use LOTS of electronics, too, not any different than EVs: navigation, radios, backup cameras, cruise control, ABS, traction controls, etc.

The main difference between ICE and EV cars are in the mechanical components in the ICE vs the electric motor, inverter (with built-in regen) and charger in the EV. The battery is a big difference, too, of course. But it doesn't count in the warranty picture because it's already covered under the 8-year warranty.

So, if your logic is that you normally don't buy extended warranty on the ICE cars, but you would on EVs due to the new EV technologies, then really what you're talking about is buying extra warranty on the motor, inverter and charger. You wouldn't be talking about all the other electronic stuff I mentioned earlier because they exist in both ICE and EVs just the same.

I would surmise that the motor will outlast the life of the car battery. So really, all you're talking about is the inverter and the charger. If the charger ever goes bad after 3 years when the basic warranty expires, I'm hopeful that there will be third party charger offerings by then with much higher capacity than the current meager 3.3kw charger that I would probably want to upgrade to anyway.

So the only left that's really different between an EV and ICE that is a new unknown/unproven technology worthwhile of extended warranty consideration is the inverter with built-in regen. I'm willing to take a chance that if the inverter works for the first 3 years, it'll continue to work for the next 2-4 years just fine.

The whole point I'm trying to make here is that modern ICE cars have just as much electronics and new technologies built-into them, so if you argue that you can trust the technologies that are in ICE cars but not in EVs, I don't buy that because most of them are the same and used in both except for the EV major components I mentioned above like motor, inverter and charger. Out of those 3, only the inverter is the one I'm slightly concerned about.

Now, if you're talking about the Volt or Priuses (when they first came out), those are different animals and I would agree that I'd be more inclined to buy extended warranty for those because they definitely are more complicated than just an ICE car or a pure EV combined, with technologies required to switch back and forth between the two.

Stanton said:
Volusiano said:
Stanton said:

What is going to wear out? Not the motor, not the inverter. You are now left with standard car parts. Nissan does not fix parts they read codes and replace them. I could service anything on the LEAF the dealer could service. LEAF techs don't pop open the inverter or motor and do a repair.

Thanks for your replies guys.
In fact, I was talking about the genuine Nissan warranty plan..
The problem is, Here in Canada, They can't tell me what that warranty will cover on an EV car like the Leaf.
The first 3 yrs is included in the sale price... But what will it cover ? If it does not cover the main specific parts of an EV, I will not bother buying an extra 2 or 5 yrs.

Thanks for your advices !

ve2maa said:
Thanks for your replies guys... But what will it cover ?
Here's thirty two pages you might want to read before going to sleep tonight...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/images/c/c3/2011-leaf-warranty-booklet.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Glenn

EVDRIVER said:
What is going to wear out? Not the motor, not the inverter. You are now left with standard car parts. Nissan does not fix parts they read codes and replace them. I could service anything on the LEAF the dealer could service. LEAF techs don't pop open the inverter or motor and do a repair.

I'm thinking the regen brake system and the electric AC/heating system will eat up any warranty cost if they ever break.. but you also have suspension components in a very heavy car.

Herm said:
EVDRIVER said:

I'm thinking the regen brake system and the electric AC/heating system will eat up any warranty cost if they ever break.. but you also have suspension components in a very heavy car.
Not sure why the AC/heating system on the Leaf would be considered newer technology worth buying an extended warranty for. Nissan has sold millions of ICE cars already with AC/heating system on them just the same, although slightly different in design. Not different enough to consider it new technology.

The regen brake system is not a separate stand-alone system. It's all done by the inverter/motor interaction. To activate regen, the inverter simply changes the electronic timing to revert the forward momentum of the electromagnetic motor to slow it down and hence convert the lost kinetic energy back into electrical energy to deposit it back into the battery. There's only electromagnetic induction happening in regen (just as in forward motion), and there's nothing touching anything else that can cause wear and tear on the motor or inverter.

Finally, how is the suspension of components of the Leaf any different than an ICE car? Why do you say the Leaf is a very heavy car? It's only 3354 lbs, or only 10% heavier than the Nissan Sentra which is about 3000 lbs without 100 lbs worth of gas in the tank yet.

An extended warranty is an insurance policy, and it's priced so that the issuer is going to take in more in premiums than it's going to pay out in losses. In the case of an automobile warranty the issuer knows a heck of a lot about the expected reliability of the vehicle and there aren't the kind of unknowns and 'acts of nature' that there are with other types of insurance. Rest assured, overall the company is going to make money on the deals.

So the question becomes, what is the car buyer's risk tolerance for being self-insured? The cost of the extended warranty might give an indication of what the risk level is. The lower the cost, the fewer the number and magnitude of claims the issuer expects will be made. But no matter how low the risk, it makes no difference to the individual who is the one in a thousand, or the one in a million, if they are 'the one'.

So, what is your risk tolerance?

Had to have a new navigation system on my Prius, and that ONE single item made the cost of the extended warranty worthwhile.

Volusiano said:
The regen brake system is not a separate stand-alone system. It's all done by the inverter/motor interaction. To activate regen, the inverter simply changes the electronic timing to revert the forward momentum of the electromagnetic motor to slow it down and hence convert the lost kinetic energy back into electrical energy to deposit it back into the battery. There's only electromagnetic induction happening in regen (just as in forward motion), and there's nothing touching anything else that can cause wear and tear on the motor or inverter.

"changes" I suppose by some switch somewhere -- a switch which is not generally present on an ICE. How much do you think this switch would cost to replace?

The brake master cylinder blends ABS, mechanical and regen braking by using a motor driven hydraulic pump, $$$$.. the AC compressor uses an internal high voltage motor to drive the pump.. did you know these compressors used in hybrids require a special non-conductive oil?.. a freon charge with the wrong oil and you have to replace the whole system. You will not find any of these parts at NAPA.

copdoc said:
Volusiano said:

"changes" I suppose by some switch somewhere -- a switch which is not generally present on an ICE. How much do you think this switch would cost to replace?
It looks like you're implying a mechanical switch here. I highly doubt that a mechanical switch is used at all to change the electronic timing of the inverter. I highly suspect that switching is done electronically with solid state devices like anything else, especially when it comes to changing the electronic timing of the system. Therefore, if something goes wrong with the inverter, the whole inverter would need to be replaced, not some switching parts or anything like that. And like I said, the bet is that the inverter is going to be a reliable component that if it doesn't fail during the standard warranty period, it's unlikely to fail during the extra few years of extended warranty period. If it's going to fail at all, it would be very far down the line when the extended warranty will have long since expired.

Back