Poll: Did you buy the extended warranty?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricBayArea

There have been threads about extended warranties and cheap dealers to purchase them from, but sifting through the many pages of responses, I thought it would be a good idea to have a poll for easy understanding who bought the extended warranty.

For those who have PURCHASED (not leased, obviously), did you buy an extended warranty?

Moderators, please use these for the poll:
-I DID buy the extended warranty and I typically DO buy them for new cars
-I DID buy the extended warranty and I typically DO NOT buy them for new cars
-I DID NOT buy the extended warranty and I typically DO buy them for new cars
-I DID NOT buy the extended warranty and I typically DO NOT buy them for new cars

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS THREAD UNTIL THE POLL IS CREATED - I will remove this when the poll is up

I did buy the extended warranty at purchase but quickly cancelled the purchase when I realized it was over-priced (much more than what Santa Rosa Nissan was asking) and that the policy was not written for the LEAF.

Geico Insurance has the option for about $50 per year to add a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty on cars bought new and insured with them. I take this insurance on all my new cars.

The other thread on extended warranties is very good and to the point, by now it has saved thousands to many that followed the advice.. well worth a read.

I just picked up my Leaf yesterday and got duped into an overpriced extended warranty from my dealer. I was dumb and did not do my research beforehand.

@rickbecker - Is it easy to cancel the extended warranty purchase or am I pretty much at the mercy of the dealer?

Thanks.

No, because almost all, including this one, are a waste of money. It's just another way the dealer tries to get more money out of ya.

I never buy extended warranties on anything. But when I purchased my Toyota Sienna back in 2006, I did by Toyota's Platinum warranty, not from the local dealer, but from another dealer on east coast for $800 (local dealer was asking $1,800).

Last week we had our first breakdown (A/C). Took it to dealer, who fixed the A/C and some other minor things. Total repair cost $3,200. My cost $0. So glad I had extended warranty. From now I will always buy extended warranty (at a cheaper price if possible).

LEAF I did not as I am leasing :)

I bought one, but i think it is a waste of money, my wife thinks its a peace of mind. The dealer offered me "The Mechanic" Program by resource automotive, issued and admin by Automotive Warranty Services inc. Platinum coverage 84 months/75K miles for $1985. Still thinking of canceling it.

I seem to recall that you can buy into the extended warranty at any time up until the standard factory warranty expiring. So maybe worth a wait and get a feel for how reliable your car is likely to be? As of right now, almost a year in, I'm personally not really seeing the need for myself.

First of all I am still waiting on a moderator to make this thread into a Poll. I PMed one or two people and still haven't heard anything. Please?!?!

CVLeaf said:
I bought one, but i think it is a waste of money, my wife thinks its a peace of mind. The dealer offered me "The Mechanic" Program by resource automotive, issued and admin by Automotive Warranty Services inc. Platinum coverage 84 months/75K miles for $1985. Still thinking of canceling it.

OMG - CANCEL IT! I was on the fence about the warranty and I decided to get the 84 month / 75k miles Security+Plus Gold through Nissan. I went with Nissan of Santa Rosa (because you can buy the Nissan warranty from ANY Nissan dealership) because of they had the best price - $803. HERE is a post that someone posted the prices. You can contact Nissan of Santa Rosa directly with questions or buy from their website. You seemingly overpaid for a warranty, and it is not a Nissan-certified one.

Yes, you can buy it up until the 3yr/36k one ends, however, you are subject to the warranty costs at that time plus an inspection fee (I think I read it is around $80). Supposedly Nissan is offering lower-priced warranties to new buyers to drum-up assurance for the car. I anticipate the prices to change for the 2012 or 2013 models... but who knows. For me, I'm happy to have the piece of mind on a lot of new tech (especially a lot of new electronic tech). YMMV

Just today bought into the extended warranty for my LEAF. Bought 6 years / 75,000 mile Security+Plus Gold Preferred from Vaden Nissan out of Georgia. Cost was $740, about $300-350 less than I was thinking it would cost. I could have also gone with 5 years / 75,000 miles for $620, or 5 years / 60,000 miles for $600. These prices are only good through the end of this month. And I'm told a Nissan driven price increase is coming on October 9th too.

mwalsh said:
Just today bought into the extended warranty for my LEAF. Bought 6 years / 75,000 mile Security+Plus Gold Preferred from Vaden Nissan out of Georgia. Cost was $740, about $300-350 less than I was thinking it would cost. I could have also gone with 5 years / 75,000 miles for $620, or 5 years / 60,000 miles for $600. These prices are only good through the end of this month. And I'm told a Nissan driven price increase is coming on October 9th too.

Just curious if you tried Nissan Santa Rosa again for a quote? I recall a few old threads indicated they were the cheapest by far...

Anyways, if you recently found Vaden Nissan to offer a better price, I might be checking them out as well.

Went in for that Battery charging software update, while I was there I asked about the extended service plan, the Top 2 issues that this warrenty covered was the ICE Engine & Transmission which we don't have.

I wonder if Nissan will come up with a warrenty plan specific to EV'

Can someone post a link to the "other warranty thread"?

My LEAF will be 3yrs old in May and I'm still considering picking up the Nissan warranty (from Santa Rosa if they still offer it).

I've read through a few threads and haven't seen anyone mention the refund if you don't use the warranty. What's to lose with a deal like that? Is it for real? My understanding is that they refund the cost of the warranty if you don't use it? If you have a repair that is less than the cost of the warranty, can you choose to pay it yourself (to save the warranty only for a repair that costs more than the cost of the warranty)? If so, then I don't see any downside to picking up the seven year plan for under $1000.

My car had the PTC heater element (and/or fuse) fail two years ago and they said that would have cost over $2000 to repair (if it were out of warranty) since it is built-in to the dc/dc converter.

Back