Outrageous Markups

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solartim

How much are people really willing to pay above MSRP? I contacted the web rep at M---y P--ay, and was told the reason the Leaf was so pricey was the Nav system was not standard equipment. I would think the web rep would think someone contacting him over the web would know that they know how to use the web.
http://www.mossynissan.com/new/Nissan/2011-Nissan-LEAF-e3c2f0bf0a0a006500d4694f78dbe501.htm
(Listed on the web at 44k, offered 36+ over the phone)

Here's a funny one in Oregon
http://findacar.us/or/eugene-%28harlow%29/2560732843-2011-Nissan-LEAF-SL-e
(Listed at 50k)

I think I'll just wait on the list.

solartim: On your Mossy Nissan link how could they say the MSRP is $44,740 even considering their footnote

"* MSRP price may include Dealer added accessories."?

I thought MSRP is strictly defined for the SL Leaf as base MSRP ($33,720) + options MSRP (only the QC @ $700 is currently available, I think) + accessories MSRP (less than ~$2000 for all of them) + Destination charge (currently $850), for a maximum of ~37,270. Are they adding some additional accessories at > $7000?

Can anyone clear up my confusion?

I've never paid above Sticker for any vehicle, including some rare and desirable ones over the years, and I definitely would not start with the Leaf.

solartim said:
How much are people really willing to pay above MSRP?

MikeD said:
solartim: On your Mossy Nissan link how could they say the MSRP is $44,740 ... Can anyone clear up my confusion?
Yes. They are a car dealer and will do and say anything to make an extra buck. Forum friends or not. They tried to pad my lease, and I'm sure they will do their level best to convince whoever buys this one for $10,000 over MSRP that they are getting the deal of a lifetime.

mossyleaf said:
Don't confuse me with other Mossy Dealers...Not all are on this forum. ;)
My mistake. I thought this must same red LEAF I saw on display yesterday in the Service show room at Kearmy Mesa. I know KM is where I bought my LEAF and where they thought I wouldn't notice my lease bumped to 39 mo from 36. Funny, how they just happened to pad the money factor to make the payment stay the same as the quote.

mossyleaf: You are part of the San Diego Mossy Nissan dealership at Kearny Mesa?

I'm just asking if the Leaf ad at the OP link that seems to clearly read that the MSRP for the Leaf with VIN #JN1AZ0CP3BT002316 is $44,740 can be accurate. Can you comment further about this issue? Thanks!

The car in that thread is at another location who has since decided to pull it off the internet since there seems to be an issue.

davewill said:
mossyleaf said:
My mistake. I thought this must same red LEAF I saw on display yesterday in the Service show room at Kearmy Mesa. .

The Beautiful Red one on display is for one of our Fine Forum members who happens to be on vacation in Paradise right now. We sent them all the paperwork to expedite things and are having the pleasure of displaying thier car until thier return.

Regarding your Lease numbers, it turned into a Great "training opportunity" for one of my manager's ;)

Chevy dealers ae getting some real action. From the LA Times

Headline:
Chevy Volt dealers inflate prices, take tax credits
Several dealerships, including at least one in California, have marked up new Volts more than $20,000. Others are selling the cars as used, claiming a $7,500 tax credit for themselves.

Full Story:
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-autos-volt-20110603,0,6666334.story

davewill said:
mossyleaf said:
My mistake. I thought this must same red LEAF I saw on display yesterday in the Service show room at Kearmy Mesa. I know KM is where I bought my LEAF and where they thought I wouldn't notice my lease bumped to 39 mo from 36. Funny, how they just happened to pad the money factor to make the payment stay the same as the quote.

Oh my! That's just unacceptable! There are very FEW salespeople that I trust, and this is one reason why. I have my lease agreement in hand, and if the dealer tries to get one dollar more or tries any crap, I'm going to all our local news stations and newspapers.

solartim said:
Chevy dealers ae getting some real action.
What's hilarious is that there are two mutually exclusive story lines about the Volt and the Leaf:

1. Sales numbers show no one wants them;
2. Dealers are gouging by selling way over MSRP.

Whatever. For Chevy dealers there are two types. Some are buying them from another dealer and using them for demos. Nothing wrong in these cases about claiming the tax rebate. Some like the dealer in Glendale are engaged in tax and consumer fraud. Hopefully the state will look at these guys. Hard to believe this is a one-off.

LEAFfan said:
Oh my! That's just unacceptable! There are very FEW salespeople that I trust, and this is one reason why. I have my lease agreement in hand, and if the dealer tries to get one dollar more or tries any crap, I'm going to all our local news stations and newspapers.
It may not be the salesperson. The finance guys are separate. Even if the salesperson knows the finance guy is screwing you it's hard for them to say anything since they have to work with them all the time and the way to get along is to go along.

The sad reality is that car dealers will be car dealers. For some guys it becomes a game. Since it's a zero sum game as a customer you lose out.

I think I paid $500 over what was the agreed lease price. The $500 over the course of the lease didn't bother me much at all. No big deal. The idea that they may have pulled a fast one remains irritating. You'd think that this approach wouldn't result in higher profitability for the dealership over the longer run since new car sales generally aren't a big money-maker, but it is what it is.

I just got a call from my dealership and was offered an "Orphan Leaf" for $7000 over MSRP. That's $8740 more than my deal, plus tax it would be $9550 more. But wait there's more...I would get the $5000 Cal rebate that's due to run out before my Leaf comes in. So for only $9550 more I could have one today and hope the broke state comes through. Would that increase my registration and insurance?

If anyone wants to pay the price, you can PM me.

Back