Cost of Warranty

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcesare

This subject has been mention in several threads, but I wanted to start a new thread to identify what level of warranty, if any, owners have purchased and what it cost. Prices vary widely and since you don't need to buy it when you purchase, it might be helpful to get some cost comparisons.
Please do not post about how warranties are useless, a bad deal, etc. I know all that. I'm just trying to get and idea as to what various dealers are charging.

I was offered the lowest "tier" of supplemental warranty coverage for $580. They started around $1,200 and was then offered it for a discount at $900. When I still said I didn't want it, he said he could offer it for the "employee" price.

Hopefully Nissan will get their stuff together and actually offer a specific warranty for their electric vehicles at reasonable prices... I've got 35 months more to buy one! :D

if possible also post who is issuing the warranty: the dealership, a third party or Nissan?.. if its a third party the name of the plan and the name of the insurance company. Dealers often resell plans from third party insurance companies, but perhaps Nissan forces them to sell the official plan.

If they offer you a plan always get the brochure.

Herm said:
if possible also post who is issuing the warranty: the dealership, a third party or Nissan?.. if its a third party the name of the plan and the name of the insurance company. Dealers often resell plans from third party insurance companies, but perhaps Nissan forces them to sell the official plan.

If they offer you a plan always get the brochure.
The offered plan was from Nissan, not a third-party.

With the discussions of poor build quality elsewher eont his forum, the newness of the technology and some fo the early problems I am giving more thought to leasing, but extended warranty might be worth considering, instead. I have never bought an extended warranty and generally don't believe in them (since there is huge profit for the dealer they are inherantly over-prices).. but maybe this time I will. let's hear more on what people are offered.

3rd Party warranties are worthless since they are not regulated by any government agency.

SteveInSeattle said:
3rd Party warranties are worthless since they are not regulated by any government agency.

Not necessarily if they are from a reputable insurance company, with a good long track record and lots of money in escrow to cover claims, read up the details on this website:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/warranty.htm

You definitely dont want to buy a third party warranty from a dealer, they are just tacking on profit on something you can get on your own.

Is someone ever going to post the details on what is/not covered in the Nissan policies?, a pdf or something?.. I have asked for this in about 3 different threads.

http://www.nwarranty.com/

https://www.warrantydirect.com/

Found this in another thread and placed it here for reference:
linkim said:
Well I finally picked up my LEAF this afternoon. The most surprising part for me was the Extended Warranty program that was being promoted by the dealer (Steven Creek Nissan). There was no brochure or other documentation (except small business form to sign) about the warranty to look at. It was touted as a money back warranty backed by Nissan. The options are 60 months/100K miles, 72/75K (2353$), 72/100K, 84/70, 84/70 (2465$), 84/100K and 96/100K. I only asked for the cost of two of the options as shown here. My understanding is that after the term, the money is returned. It was not clear what happens if a small claim is made. Does one receive a pro-rated return of the money or nothing? Because I was unclear of the potential negative aspects of the warranty, I refused it. Maybe someone who has such a warranty can let me know if I was crazy not to take it. The finance manager did tell me that 6 of 7 (me being the 7th) recent LEAF buyers did purchase the warranty. Maybe I missed any discussion of this warranty on the MNL forum.

jcesare said:
Found this in another thread and placed it here for reference:
linkim said:
Well I finally picked up my LEAF this afternoon. The most surprising part for me was the Extended Warranty program that was being promoted by the dealer (Steven Creek Nissan). There was no brochure or other documentation (except small business form to sign) about the warranty to look at. It was touted as a money back warranty backed by Nissan. The options are 60 months/100K miles, 72/75K (2353$), 72/100K, 84/70, 84/70 (2465$), 84/100K and 96/100K. I only asked for the cost of two of the options as shown here. My understanding is that after the term, the money is returned. It was not clear what happens if a small claim is made. Does one receive a pro-rated return of the money or nothing? Because I was unclear of the potential negative aspects of the warranty, I refused it. Maybe someone who has such a warranty can let me know if I was crazy not to take it. The finance manager did tell me that 6 of 7 (me being the 7th) recent LEAF buyers did purchase the warranty. Maybe I missed any discussion of this warranty on the MNL forum.

Thanks jcesare for putting my comments in this thread. I was busy with my LEAF and not my computer last night. With regard to the Extended Warranty, the finance manager said it was only available when the LEAF is purchased. This is different from the other warranties, I thought. Don't we have an option to purchase anytime in the first 36 months of ownership? Also there is a deductible of $50 on covered repairs for the 2 options I priced.

There is so much mis-information being given out-- go to Nissan's extended warranty website, the warranty is NOT only available at delivery-- but the dealer only makes their profit if you buy from them, so they lie.

Second, there is no refund from Nissan, some dealers offer this on their own, but good luck with that. A friend was talked into it with that pitch by a Toyota dealer in Kirkland and they were out of business less than 6 months later.

Third, there are insurance companies offering third party warranties, BUT they are NOT regulated by State insurance commissioners AND their are tons of sites with complaints posted from customers-- good luck with that, too.

Nissan has a good reputation for honoring their extended warranty without b.s.-- but they are expensive-- just remember the price is negotiable!

SteveInSeattle said:
There is so much mis-information being given out-- go to Nissan's extended warranty website, the warranty is NOT only available at delivery-- but the dealer only makes their profit if you buy from them, so they lie.

Second, there is no refund from Nissan, some dealers offer this on their own, but good luck with that. A friend was talked into it with that pitch by a Toyota dealer in Kirkland and they were out of business less than 6 months later.

Third, there are insurance companies offering third party warranties, BUT they are NOT regulated by State insurance commissioners AND their are tons of sites with complaints posted from customers-- good luck with that, too.

Nissan has a good reputation for honoring their extended warranty without b.s.-- but they are expensive-- just remember the price is negotiable!

I called Nissan CS to ask about the Extended Warranty I mentioned earlier in this thread. Steve.. is at least one step ahead of me. There are dealer specific plans, and I may have been pitched one of those. Even if the dealer is still in business, there may be another caveat to consider. The warranty may not be honored at another dealer, depending on the arrangement. I discussed this with the CS and he mentioned that if one corporation, company, etc. owns several dealerships, another dealer in the same organization may honor the repair. However an independent dealer may not honor the request from another dealer. This type of Extended Warranty is from the dealer and not Nissan

SteveInSeattle said:

Florida regulates those service insurance companies, I gave these links out at the beginning of this thread.. Note that I have no experience with these companies, an example:

http://www.nwarranty.com/

"Nation Warranty Corporation has been building relationships since 1988. We are a licensed Motor Vehicle Service Agreement Company (FL License #60063) and are regulated by the Florida Department of Financial Services – Office of Insurance Regulations."

"Built on principles of great customer service and satisfaction we continue to strive towards excellence and are proud to promote our "A" Better Business Bureau ranking."

https://www.warrantydirect.com/about-warranty-direct.aspx

"Financial stability: We have more than $350 million in assets to ensure our customers' claims are paid"
"Nationwide licensing/registrations: Warranty Direct is licensed and registered to do business in all 50 states, including California, Florida, New York, Hawaii, and Alaska."

This was from the original warranty thread. These prices are from Nissan of Santa Rosa CA. These are certified Nissan warranty prices. All Nissan dealers have brochures that tell about what is covered, with the caveat that it is not specific to the Leaf. But it does cover most everything.
I hope this helps. PM me and I can forward what Nissan of Santa Rosa sent to me or go to their website.

For Security+Plus plans there is an additional fee of $75 for vehicles that have more then 12,000 miles.

Quote:

Buy Now

1. LEAF Gold Preferred 36 Month 45,000 Mile Coverage: $287.00
2. LEAF Gold Preferred 39 Month 49,000 Mile Coverage: $303.00
3. LEAF Gold Preferred 42 Month 53,000 Mile Coverage: $333.00
4. LEAF Gold Preferred 48 Month 48,000 Mile Coverage: $336.00
5. LEAF Gold Preferred 36 Month 60,000 Mile Coverage: $368.00
6. LEAF Gold Preferred 48 Month 60,000 Mile Coverage: $548.00
7. LEAF Gold Preferred 60 Month 60,000 Mile Coverage: $571.00
8. LEAF Gold Preferred 60 Month 75,000 Mile Coverage: $591.00
9. LEAF Gold Preferred 72 Month 75,000 Mile Coverage: $711.00
10. LEAF Gold Preferred 60 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $755.00
11. LEAF Gold Preferred 84 Month 70,000 Mile Coverage: $824.00
12. LEAF Gold Preferred 72 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $831.00
13. LEAF Gold Preferred 84 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $1,084.00
14. LEAF Gold Preferred 96 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $1,134.00

The dealer should be able to provide a brochure detailing the specific coverage for the Leaf.

Only the Security Plus Gold Preferred and Silver Preferred levels are available for the Leaf. If you sell the Leaf, the warranty can be transferred to the new owner. The brochure states that the following items are not covered:

maintenance services
carpet and upholstery
air bags, sensors and modules
wheels and tires
glass and moldings
water leaks
paint and soft trim
weather stripping
lenses and bulbs
squeaks and rattles
wind noise
disc brake pads and rotors
shock absorbers
remote keyless entry FOB

The battery is covered separately for 8 years/100000 miles

Great!, so the motor, inverter, electric AC, assorted pumps and charger are covered, these are all expensive tidbits. The special hybrid brake systems are also expensive.. new stuff for Nissan and a good idea if you plant to keep the car for a long time.

Well, joining this discussion group has really paid off for me. I have been eagerly soaking up the technical and operational information that flows on these pages since my LEAF arrived on April 20th. Yesterday, I came upon this thread and it should now pay off financially. I took the advice to read my extended warranty contract and surprise, surprise, it did not cover the things I was told it would.

First, the only mention of LEAF was on the line describing the vehicle covered, which the finance manager typed on the form. Reading further, the contract provided great detail on the coverage for the Gasoline, Turbocharged, Supercharged, Rotary, Diesel, and/or Enhanced ENGINES; the TRANSMISSION (Automatic and Standard); and the 4x4 TRANSFER CASE. Later in the discussion of roadside assistance they stated that if I had a flat tire, their assistance would include removing the flat and replacing it with MY SPARE. It was nice to learn that IF MY CAR NEEDED FUEL, OIL, FLUID OR WATER, they would deliver it. This must be the reason for the $2,700 cost of the contract: fuel delivery.

The sales pitch statements included: “Nissan wants you to have this coverage and that’s why it is half the normal price.” “Five of the six of our other new LEAF owners bought it.” “Since you don’t have a spare tire, the roadside assistance alone is worth it.” “It will pay for itself since it covers all of your battery inspections.” (I later found that the FIRST policy exclusion was Maintenance Services.)

I have no excuses…I bought the pitch and the contract. Fortunately, I am able to cancel within 60 days with a full refund.

So, I call the finance manager today and announce my intent to cancel. After much discussion about how I am making a big mistake, I described my concerns. So, I am told that the LEAF coverage is described in the addendum (which I have never seen). I asked what my next step was. He described the cancellation process and said “they will send you the BALANCE.” I then referenced the contract provision stating FULL REFUND and his response was:”well if that’s what it says…"

Looking now at the cancellation form he filled out, it is missing some information in spite of the form stating: "I understand that all required information must be provided for cancellation." They state that it will take 8-10 weeks for completion of the process. Stay tuned...I will provide updates as things progress.

Rick

The warranties see useless for the price on a LEAF. Also, the parts likely to go bad are likely not covered. The motor should not have any issues for the life of the pack if built reasonably since it has only two friction parts and no brushes. Even if it dies it costs about $2300, the charger is about $1300, etc. etc. If you buy a warranty get a factory warranty and make sure it covers quite a bit in detail unless it only costs $200.

Back