Buying help for 2017 leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibun

I am planning to buy a used 2017 leaf but since they are imported from EU/US I have the following questions

-Is there any way to check if the odometer is tampered/km reduced? Will there be any logs left?
-Where does the odometer values are stored? cluster/BCM/ECU? Is it stored in single or multiple places?
-Can leaf spy detect then unauthorised changes?

Thanks in advance.

dibun said:
No for BMS resets. :( See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23714&p=489807&hilit=reset#p489807. Read other posts by AntronX in that thread.

If it's going to come from the US, I would strongly suggest getting a Carfax and/or Autocheck to see if the odometer in the car's values are out of whack from what those reports say.

I'd say that the biggest concern with buying a 2017 Leaf is the terrible battery pack chemistry. Unless the car resided in a genuinely cold climate, it will already be degraded, with more rapid degradation to follow if your climate isn't also downright COLD...

LeftieBiker said:
I'd say that the biggest concern with buying a 2017 Leaf is the terrible battery pack chemistry. Unless the car resided in a genuinely cold climate, it will already be degraded, with more rapid degradation to follow if your climate isn't also downright COLD...

I live in Norway so here it is cold.

cwerdna said:
dibun said:
No for BMS resets. :( See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23714&p=489807&hilit=reset#p489807. Read other posts by AntronX in that thread.

If it's going to come from the US, I would strongly suggest getting a Carfax and/or Autocheck to see if the odometer in the car's values are out of whack from what those reports say.

I read his posts but it is mostly about BMS but I want to know how to detect odometer changes.

dibun said:
I read his posts but it is mostly about BMS but I want to know how to detect odometer changes.
Beats me. There are no logs that we know of about BMS resets.

The odometer in my car is about 1 or 2 miles off from what Leaf Spy says but I'm not concerned about a rollback given that my used Leaf was a 2 year lease return and the mileage I saw in the car made sense vs. Autocheck and Carfax. It had under 24K miles on it. 2 year/24K leases weren't uncommon. I did that w/my former original '13.

It's not like people can put on that many miles on a '17 Leaf anyway. It doesn't have that much range.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1089091_owner-of-100000-mile-nissan-leaf-electric-car-to-be-honored-monday is one of the most extreme along w/any that have been used for taxi or ridesharing (e.g. Uber or Lyft) duty. I don't think I've ever seen a Leaf taxi in the US in my life. There are a few that use a Leaf for Uber...

You said "imported" from US or EU, where do you live? Does't your country have specific EV regulations that you need to look too?

armmynissanleaf said:
You said "imported" from US or EU, where do you live? Does't your country have specific EV regulations that you need to look too?

I live in Norway but here most 2nd hand Leaf's are imported from US or Europe. It seems the on most imported cars odometer are changed to a lower value but with digital odometer it is almost impossible to find out.

Back