Colorado tax credit - buy out of state?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SageBrush said:
I did, in April 2017

Interesting, thanks SageBrush. I assume the dealer tries to give you temp tags from the state you purchased in? Does the CO Department of Revenue care as long as you register the car in CO before tax time?

I'm mainly worried about the original out-of-state titling making it a "used" car for tax purposes, and thus ineligible for the credit

Some states can be more annoying than others. I bought in NY and since the car was put on a truck carrier at the dealership, no temp tags were asked for. The idea is that the car never drives on NY streets. I did not pull temp tags in Colorado but that would have made things simpler in my specific case, since I had to drive the car to my little town from the car delivery point. My county says that temp tags may only be obtained for a car that is physically in Colorado but they do not check and did not ask. I was prepared to lie if asked.

You must title it first in Colorado. I had a dealer in Wyoming and Oregon help me do it. In California, they just put it on a car carrier because if you drive it off the lot it will be with CA title.

Back