New LEAF Availability

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe6pack

I routinely check cars.com to see how many LEAFs are available nationwide at any given time. As of this morning, it shows 752 available which is the lowest I have ever seen. Given the typical sales of around a thousand a month, we will be out of LEAFs in about three weeks +/-. Is Nissan really going to let inventory approach 0 or will we see the new LEAF sooner? I have seen reports that Smyrna is ahead of schedule and that we could see some sales in December. Anyone with any insider knowledge on availability?

I've seen nothing to indicate any cars will be available for sale to the public before 2018... Since a given model year can only transition one Dec 31 by law, it may be that Nissan intends to keep the 2018 model through next year and thus can not sell it until Jan 1, 2018...

There is a chance that some of the top sales regions for the LEAF may see some cars delivered to those that pre-ordered before the end of the year, but nationally expect to see the car on your dealer's lots in late January, early February.

Ugh. That available inventory has dropped a 100 or so since the last time I checked.

This could mean some slim sales months for the Leaf including the always important "reduce-the-wait-for-tax-credit" December. Unless there are more '17s in the pipeline somewhere? But I guess there aren't if Smyrna has already converted over the '18.

TomT said:
I've seen nothing to indicate any cars will be available for sale to the public before 2018... Since a given model year can only transition one Dec 31 by law, it may be that Nissan intends to keep the 2018 model through next year and thus can not sell it until Jan 1, 2018...

I don't follow your reasoning - what am I missing?

According my understanding of the law, Nissan can sell MY2018 starting Jan 1, 2017. But they can sell it for more than 12 months. They can sell it through 2018, right? So basically it could be up to 24 months? Waiting until Jan 1, 2018 would actually allow them to call it a MY 2019.

Seems to me that Nissan and its dealers would be pleased as punch to sell every MY2017 Leaf by December without substantial additional discounts. And nothing like the Leaf being rare for a bit to increase interest and demand for the MY2018.

There is some logic to the MY'18/19 designation.

Remeber that the 2013 LEAF which was the first US-produced EV by Nissan did not hit dealerships until February/March 2013 and the 2014 car followed shortly after that in August of 2013.

2018 could be a short year as well for the LEAF with the 2019 car and its variants arriving in dealers lots in November/December of 2018.

But regardless if it has a 2018 or 2019 designation, the new LEAF is an excellent car, I've driven it, have spent time with Nissan to understand their design goals, and I recommend the car. I also have an SL in Pearl White/Black with the light-gray interior on order.

What's cool about the LEAF is that it is what it is, and makes no pretenses to your vanity or otherwise. It's a contemporary-looking, value-priced, well equipped, very reliable EV for everyone. The LEAF is for those that may have modest to midrange means but wants to drive a new EV and for those that have the means but are smart with their money. This tactic is why Nissan owns this under $35(6-7)K space.

Nissan will be building a version of the LEAF for everyone over the next couple of years. I think that this current version is going to be around at least until 2021, and later be joined other types of EVs from Nissan that will continue to push the cool and practical EV space.

Well, I'm not usually one to spread rumors, but I have it on good authority the launch is late November. That certainly makes more sense than running out of inventory.

However, this same source also tells me they may have hit a snag.

Remeber that the 2013 LEAF which was the first US-produced EV by Nissan did not hit dealerships until February/March 2013 and the 2014 car followed shortly after that in August of 2013.

They were still building 2013 Leafs in December of 2013, so I have no idea what you mean here. What that last 2013 supposed to be 2014?

OrientExpress said:
2018 could be a short year as well for the LEAF with the 2019 car and its variants arriving in dealers lots in November/December of 2018.

You seem to have a better handle on Nissan than most, so you are probably right. If so, I will be disappointed. I was hoping that "second half of 2018" meant the middle of 2018 FY, which starts in October. That's a normal time to introduce the next model year anyway. Of course, we're only talking two months. I just hope that the tax credits are still around at that point (both federal and NYS).

Back