Where are all the 2014 lease returns?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BakoDuck

I'm very surprised that the market hasn't been flooded with 2 year (and soon 3 year) lease returns from the HUGE sales year that was 2014!!

Nissan sold over 30,000 2014 Leafs, which is almost as many as 2012 (9,819) and 2013 (22,610) combined.

What is Nissan doing with all the returned vehicles?

A quick check of Autotrader shows 237 2014 Nissan Leafs available for sale at dealerships "any distance" from my home at this moment. How many more do you need?

Also, just because 30k 2014 Leafs found homes doesn't mean they were all leased. Many of those cars could have been sold to fleets; Caltrans has a few, as do some power utilities.

I'm seeing quite a few end of lease Leafs here, mainly the base model (Visia) but most of them come with the 'flex' battery lease still attached to them, I'm still biding my time until later in the year to get the model I want & at the right price.

There is one Leaf for sale here that's tempting but It's a insurance class 'C' write off, flood damage. the car looks like brand new in the pictures inside & out. 2015 Tenka model with 9000 miles on the clock but I'm sure I read on this forum that if the car has been written off by the insurance company then the Nissan warranty is no longer valid!

I know a few personally and several online that have extended leases waiting on the 2018's. Considering the no commitment deal that includes 3 months free, I can't see how anyone would not want to do it!

Lancpudn said:
There is one Leaf for sale here that's tempting but It's a insurance class 'C' write off, flood damage. the car looks like brand new in the pictures inside & out. 2015 Tenka model with 9000 miles on the clock but I'm sure I read on this forum that if the car has been written off by the insurance company then the Nissan warranty is no longer valid!

I don't know about the UK, but in the US it's typical for a factory car warranty to become voided once the car has been declared a "total" (what you folks call a write off).

You don't want a flood-damaged modern car. Due to the number of electrical components that a modern car contains, one that gets soaked will likely have a lifetime of electrical gremlins.

RonDawg said:
Lancpudn said:

I don't know about the UK, but in the US it's typical for a factory car warranty to become voided once the car has been declared a "total" (what you folks call a write off).

You don't want a flood-damaged modern car. Due to the number of electrical components that a modern car contains, one that gets soaked will likely have a lifetime of electrical gremlins.

Yeah Good call, the guy also took pictures of the underside of the driver & passenger seats so I'm assuming the water was up to the bottom of the seats. I'll bide my time to get one. :D

Sold during super cheap used EV period. I know 3 people who got 2014's (probably off lease but not verified) paying as little as $7700 for them.

But that was nearly 2 years ago.

Back