Crystal Ball? What's the future value of 2013 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

born2pdl

Just looking for fun speculation of future values. Prices aren't a big factor right now because they're so cheap (if you're careful).

Auction results posted by Orientexpress show current prices at 5500~7500 (S thru SL), and estimated year later auction prices of ~3000. (About 29k miles).

How do you estimate that 2013 prices will track over the next few year's and why?

I'd expect a large drop off post September '17 when the leaf 2 comes out with double the range. The car's won't actually be less useful, but the perception of a far lower range vehicle will hurt the resale price. I didn't buy my leaf expecting to sell it, I'll use it until it no longer meets my transportation needs and then it'll probably be worth scrap value only.

-Jim

I plan on driving my used '13 for 3-4 years and then selling it in order to buy another EV that might not exist in America right now. I probably should have waited 6-12 months and saved a few grand, but that's ok I have a new toy. I bought for $9k if I can sell for $3k in 3-4 years I would be ecstatic. Whatever I sell it for will just be gravy as I will have saved well over $9k in gasoline and ICE maintenance by then.

I think the floor is $2000 - $3000 for a car with good paint, good interior, and at least 10 bars. The floor for a running and driving '90s Japanese car is $1000 around here and that's anything from a Camry to a CRX, and all are rusted, dented, and/or with mismatched tires. A Leaf 20-30 years newer with all the options they come with? I can't see it ever going that low for a long time.

And then there is the potential effect of the $7,500 federal EV tax credit ending later this year. Still speculation, but no one should be surprised if it happens - or if that affects the value of used EVs.

Viktor said:
Do we know when that Fed credit would end? Is there way to check if its still available before buying a new Leaf?
See Phaseout at the bottom of http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml of the timeline as to how it'd end when an automaker reaches 200K qualifying vehicles (EVs + PHEVs combined) sold/leased in the US.

We know Nissan passed 100K units in the US late last year per http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/01/nissan-leaf-100k-sales-us-report/ so it's going to take awhile to get to 200K. Nissan has no other qualifying EVs or PHEVs in the US.

The fear/speculation is that Trump administration/Congress could put it a stop to it early/makes changes to it.

kingjamez said:
I'd expect a large drop off post September '17 when the leaf 2 comes out with double the range. The car's won't actually be less useful, but the perception of a far lower range vehicle will hurt the resale price. I didn't buy my leaf expecting to sell it, I'll use it until it no longer meets my transportation needs and then it'll probably be worth scrap value only.

-Jim

When you sell it, I would be happy to pay you $100 over scrap value, and come pick it up at your house..

VitaminJ said:
I plan on driving my used '13 for 3-4 years and then selling it in order to buy another EV that might not exist in America right now. I probably should have waited 6-12 months and saved a few grand, but that's ok I have a new toy. I bought for $9k if I can sell for $3k in 3-4 years I would be ecstatic. Whatever I sell it for will just be gravy as I will have saved well over $9k in gasoline and ICE maintenance by then.

I think you would be foolish to even consider that a 6-7 year old car would only be worth $3k.. I would love to buy the car from you in 3-4 years then for $3k....

I think the worry about the valuation of used Leaf's is overblown. In 4 years the 2013 Leaf will be 8 years old, and like any other 8 year old car (even ICE) it will be worthless compared to the initial purchase price. Expect all cars to be the worst "investments" of your life and just savor the fact that you're transporting yourself and family in a reliable and clean form of transportation. Drive it until the wheels come off and by that time no one will own cars and you'll just order a self driving car ride on your smartphone.

powersurge said:
I think you would be foolish to even consider that a 6-7 year old car would only be worth $3k.. I would love to buy the car from you in 3-4 years then for $3k....
Maybe. My logic is that 2011s are already in the $5k to $6k region around here. Sure, they have battery problems that a 13+ won't have, but it's basically still the same car. Also in 3-4 years when I go to sell my Leaf, there will now be used Bolts and Model 3s on the market, as well as the Leaf v2 and other EVs which will all have at least 200 miles of range and my 13 will probably be down to 11 bars at that time.

Back