Is this a good deal for new 2016 SL?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uberleaf

Purchase

Market Value Selling Price: 38,010
Discount: 3,868.59
Rebate: 4,000*
Adjusted Price: 30,141.41

* This is not a tax rebate - this is a rebate from Nissan. Requires financing the car through Nissan but I can pay it off in a single payment (and I would qualify for financing no problem). Additional $7,500 federal and $3,000 state credit not included here.

Lease

Rebate: 11,225.00**
Adjusted Price: 22,916.41

12,000 mi. annual mileage (not a problem for me)
24 months w/$3,000 down
$379/mo.

** Rebate includes Nissan incentives plus $7,500 federal credit which they claim since they own the car. Additional $3,000 state credit would go to me - even with lease.

No idea whether this is a good price. My sense is the guy made a fair offer but would love to get some input from people here.

uberleaf said:
Purchase

Lease

24 months w/$3,000 down
$379/mo.

** Rebate includes Nissan incentives plus $7,500 federal credit which they claim since they own the car. Additional $3,000 state credit would go to me - even with lease.

No idea whether this is a good price. My sense is the guy made a fair offer but would love to get some input from people here.

I would not do that lease. That seems super expensive.

It's their opening offer. I haven't really started negotiating yet. The purchase price seems fair but I'm more interested in leasing. This is my first time leasing a car (I usually just buy) so no idea on how this stacks up.

Residual is $14,823 btw (after 2 yr).

uberleaf said:
Purchase

Rebate: 4,000*
Adjusted Price: 30,141.41

* This is not a tax rebate - this is a rebate from Nissan. Requires financing the car through Nissan but I can pay it off in a single payment (and I would qualify for financing no problem). Additional $7,500 federal and $3,000 state credit not included here.

Lease

24 months w/$3,000 down
$379/mo.

You didn't mention any but will assume no trade-in? In our state (can't be yours; even though you don't list it because our EV rebates are gone) if you have a trade-in you'll only get charged on the sales tax less the trade-in so save some additional bucks. With how fast EV's (excluding Tesla's) depreciate many more people are leasing them but if you can get the car free and clear for below the residual after the lease is up you would be doing OK ... current 107 mile range LEAF's are not selling all that well so I'm sure they can sweeten the lease deal if that's what you prefer ... I saw a few EV lease deals on Edmunds that might be worth checking out ($188/LEAF S; $169/Soul EV) but some look like they expire pretty soon ... Good Luck!

http://www.edmunds.com/car-leasing/monthly-199-lease-deals.html

uberleaf said:
It's their opening offer. I haven't really started negotiating yet. The purchase price seems fair but I'm more interested in leasing. This is my first time leasing a car (I usually just buy) so no idea on how this stacks up.

Residual is $14,823 btw (after 2 yr).

Leasing is a good idea for the current generation EVs. What state are you in? Some states have way better incentives than others so that plays a role in the lease price.

Do you really need a SL or would a SV work for you? Among other differences, leather seats is a major difference but with going down one trim level, it helps bring down the lease payment. On the same token, would a S (less miles per charge) work for you?

Do you absolutely want a 2 year lease or would a 3 year lease work too? That would change the payment.

If you really don't care about buying current gen EV after the lease is over, then the residual doesn't matter. Just focus on getting lowest payment with lowest drive off and then you can buy a second gen EV after this lease is over.

The residual seems too high. Isn't the SL just $2k more than the SV? SV residuals are running about $11k. I'd only consider a deal like that if the residual were low.

Residual is matter if you want to buy at the end of lease. Since the battery technology is improving, so fast, Nissan residual is very much overpriced after 3 years. Usually Nissan will give you the credit if you purchase the lease. And there is no sales tax on that credit.

raghu2016 said:
Residual is matter if you want to buy at the end of lease. Since the battery technology is improving, so fast, Nissan residual is very much overpriced after 3 years. Usually Nissan will give you the credit if you purchase the lease. And there is no sales tax on that credit.

When payments are a little high, then a high residual as well indicates a less than excellent deal. I think that more people than usual will be willing to buy a 2016 SV or SL after leasing it, because it will likely meet most people's range needs, with a bit left over for degradation, and also because so far at least, the residuals have been very low. Those looking to lease for just a couple of years should be looking for higher residuals, and lower payments.

To answer a few of the questions here.

I'm in Maryland. Yes there's a trade-in involved (a modest $3,000 which is pretty reasonable based on my research). I'm a big fan of leather seats so I'd like to try and work a deal on the SL.

I'm open to a 3 yr. lease but I'm new to EV and I'd be really keen to have a 200mi. vehicle in the next two years since my wife's small car is not suitable for distance trips (no trunk space).

I think I'll talk to another local dealership and see if they can't beat this rate. The other option would be to wait for the new Hyundai later this year although I really did enjoy the extended test drive I had with the SL.

Back