Glendale Nissan -- one more reason to never use them...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hitchhiker

Glendale Nissan has always been shady. But their most recent dealing with me takes the cake.

My lease is up tomorrow. So I'd done all the inspections and such, and called Glendale Nissan to do my return -- just like the instructions said (they say call your nearest dealer for an appointment). We made an appointment for today at 6pm. I show up, and they say "sorry -- we don't take lease returns. Our lot is full".

What the heck is that about? I don't have time to shop around for a dealer that will take my car. I thought that was one of the advantages of doing a lease -- you just drop it off! I can't afford to take the day off the work to chase them around.

Not sure what to do now. I'm going to call corporate in the morning and make them come up with a solution.

This whole end-of-lease thing has been as shitshow, and that's after really enjoying the car for the last three years. First they handed off all my contact information to every dealer in southern California .. so I've been getting cold sales calls day and night from every dealer south of Bakersfield non-stop. Its worse than the political callers. Then they contracted the inspection to a company that doesn't actually have a business location. They would only do it at my place of work (which is a secure facility -- no way) or at my home... so I had to take a day off to have them meet me at home. Now this.

I've loved my electric car. I think i'm done with Nissan.

That sucks about that dealer claiming their lot is full.

My lease return was painless however I ran into a snag later where the DMV wanted $ for tabs for the next year even though I no longer had the car and I didn't own it anyway.

I recall I ended up sending in a form (filling it out the best I could), possibly the one at https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/vr_info#BM2520 to tell the DMV I no longer had the car.
hitchhiker said:
This whole end-of-lease thing has been as shitshow, and that's after really enjoying the car for the last three years. First they handed off all my contact information to every dealer in southern California .. so I've been getting cold sales calls day and night from every dealer south of Bakersfield non-stop. Its worse than the political callers.
I didn't have that happen but I didn't lease from Glendale. I did get a fair amount of junk snail mail from Nissan about buying or leasing my next Nissan since my lease was coming to an end. That's understandable.
hitchhiker said:
Then they contracted the inspection to a company that doesn't actually have a business location. They would only do it at my place of work (which is a secure facility -- no way) or at my home... so I had to take a day off to have them meet me at home. Now this.
Yes, it's an outside company. I was glad that they came to my work to do it, so I didn't have to take it somewhere.

Couldn't they have met you at a location near your work or home instead like a parking lot or gas station?

I returned my car to Glendale Nissan back at the end of December. I had no problems whatsoever.

You may want to try Alhambra. I called them up as well at the time my lease was ending and was told that as long as I brought the car in during the time the finance manager was there that it would be OK.

The only problem I had was that the dealer (Mission Hills Nissan) or Nissan themselves apparently did not transfer the ownership after I dropped it off and someone ran up five parking tickets in L.A. in the ensuing 6 weeks. I contacted the parking bureau, sent them a copy of my turn in receipt, and they transferred them all back to Mission Hills Nissan.

cwerdna said:
My lease return was painless however I ran into a snag later where the DMV wanted $ for tabs for the next year even though I no longer had the car and I didn't own it anyway.

Can't take it because their lot is full? That's lame.

My lease return was relatively painless. First I chatted with someone on their site and they said no appointment is needed, just come in during business hours.

So I showed up, parked in normal guest parking, they asked if I had an appointment... lol, nope- explained chat person said I didn't need it. The manager was cool though, processed my return, took all of about 5 minutes, I signed away the car and handed them my keys, and then I was done. Took a goodbye photo of my beloved LEAF, and Nissan sent me a confirmation letter a few weeks later saying they took possession of it and I owed nothing.

Tamaroff Nissan, Southfield, MI

Back