Considering Used 2014 SV - Thoughts on Price?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Everyone,

I'm from Indiana and have been considering a used Leaf. The only one in my area right now is a Used 2014 SV with 25,291 miles on it. Here is the specific car:

http://cargur.us/8dZYc

It is priced at $13,995. What would be a good price for this car? I'm only interested in getting a Leaf if I can get a good deal on it.

Are there any concerns I should have with purchasing this car? Battery, etc. According to the cargurus page (linked above) it has been sitting on the lot for 120 days. Any concerns with that?

Thank You!

A few questions:

How does the warranty work when buying used? This will be my first used vehicle.

How long is the warranty on the battery? I've read in the forums about the 60,000 / 9 bars rule, but on the Nissan website it says the battery warranty is 100,000 / 8 years. Which is correct?

Would hooking up LeafSpy to this before purchasing it give me a better idea what kind of shape the battery is in?

Thanks!

Looks like an after market shelf in the back (from the pictures), perhaps for a spare tire? Is there a reason the rear window defroster wire is so red? It only shows 74 miles for a full charge and it has a "motor power is limited" message on the screen? It looks nice, but something seems a little wonky with it.
It looks like there is some technical issue from looking at the errors on the dash screen-shot.

The car is had a had life. A new leaf with the bigger 30 KW battery and the 100 K 8 year warrantee. no miles . cost is $34 K ..in CA Nissan has $4k back less 7500 Fed and $2500 state ID? so like $20 K for a lot more car? I do not see taking the risk for a old car with less range ? not of $6K

http://www.pluginamerica.org/incentives

ConsideringALeaf said:
A few questions:

How does the warranty work when buying used? This will be my first used vehicle.

How long is the warranty on the battery? I've read in the forums about the 60,000 / 9 bars rule, but on the Nissan website it says the battery warranty is 100,000 / 8 years. Which is correct?

Would hooking up LeafSpy to this before purchasing it give me a better idea what kind of shape the battery is in?

Thanks!
60k/60 mo/below 9 bars for capacity warranty, 8 yr/100k for battery defect, and low capacity is not a defect.

That "motor power is limited" message on a full charge is disturbing. I agree that it possibly has an added spare tire, but it could also just be hidden cargo storage.

Good call on the "limited power" screen. This post (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20106&start=30) makes it sound like a battery cell issue.

In Indiana we don't have rebates, and I was hoping to talk them down in price is why I was considering this one.

ConsideringALeaf said:
Good call on the "limited power" screen. This post (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20106&start=30) makes it sound like a battery cell issue.

In Indiana we don't have rebates, and I was hoping to talk them down in price is why I was considering this one.

Unless you have very good reason to expect a free battery out of the deal, I'd walk away from that one.

LeftieBiker said:
That "motor power is limited" message on a full charge is disturbing. I agree that it possibly has an added spare tire, but it could also just be hidden cargo storage.
I agree, that picture of the dash makes no sense......I mean 74 miles would be basically a full battery and if you look at the bubbles it shows only 1 bubble of regen(which again would make sense for a full battery) but it also only has 2 bubbles of power and that motor power limited message, all indications of a basically discharged battery......everything seems a bit wonky :?

I agree, that picture of the dash makes no sense......I mean 74 miles would be basically a full battery

It could be because of aggressive test driving and dealer staff driving, but a real 12 bar Leaf can show upwards of 90 miles on the GOM when fully charged, with about 83 being common. This one may possibly be closer to 11 bars - say 90% SOH.

LeftieBiker said:
I agree, that picture of the dash makes no sense......I mean 74 miles would be basically a full battery

It could be because of aggressive test driving and dealer staff driving, but a real 12 bar Leaf can show upwards of 90 miles on the GOM when fully charged, with about 83 being common. This one may possibly be closer to 11 bars - say 90% SOH.
No I understand the 74 mile range but how could it show 74 miles and yet be in turtle mode and only 2 bubbles of power :? not to mention only 1 bubble of regen.......in turtle mode I'd expect it to have all bubbles of regen.....something just doesn't add up in that picture of the dash.

Could it only be partially on? I don't have a leaf, but I know on some cars if you start it up in certain modes (you don't press the brake down, etc) it will light up various errors. Does the Leaf do this?

ConsideringALeaf said:
Could it only be partially on? I don't have a leaf, but I know on some cars if you start it up in certain modes (you don't press the brake down, etc) it will light up various errors. Does the Leaf do this?

I've never seen it, and I don't think anyone has reported it as a typical startup error.

ConsideringALeaf said:
No, I can tell you from experience, limited motor power never comes up unless either the battery is depleted, the battery is frozen (arctic cold), or the battery is overheating (10 QC in a row). Going by the picture, the battery temperature is just fine. The yellow car with the "!" on it means there is some service issue that the dealer needs to look at.

knightmb said:
ConsideringALeaf said:
No, I can tell you from experience, limited motor power never comes up unless either the battery is depleted, the battery is frozen (arctic cold), or the battery is overheating (10 QC in a row). Going by the picture, the battery temperature is just fine. The yellow car with the "!" on it means there is some service issue that the dealer needs to look at.

IIRC someone in Europe did a DIY battery swap and the car came up with this message, he could only go up to 30mph or so. Didn't see how that story ended. Probably this is not it, but interesting still.

Back