Wholesale value of the 2015 Leaf @Auction-May '18

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrientExpress

In keeping with my past reports on used LEAF values, here is a new one on the wholesale values at dealer auction of the 2015 LEAF in all three trim levels.

2015_LEAF_SL_Wholesale_01-10-16.png

2015_LEAF_SV_Wholesale_01-10-16.png

2015_LEAF_S_Wholesale_01-10-16.png

Wow, so a 2015 S with low miles is going for around $13k at auction right now. Meanwhile, I have 23 months left on my lease of a 2015 S that currently has 12k miles and my residual is $12.5k. No way will I pay that residual at end of lease, as I suspect auction prices will continue to drop with more competitive, longer range EVs hitting the market between now and then.

Btw many thanks to Orient Express for continuing to post this very valuable information.

In some states such as CA you can probably still get these cars brand new for about the same price after all incentives, or at least you could at the end of 2015, with 72 month 0% financing on top.

My lease is almost up and I'm trying to decide whether to make them an offer for the car. 2015 S with QC will be ready to be returned in mid-September with close to 30,000 miles. (24 month lease at $280 month, nothing down).

Residual is $16K or so, so that's a non-starter. And if $10K is market price, that's not worth my time. Only way I'd buy the car is if it is substantially less than that and Nissan has a bunch of these cars coming back. What's the lowest that someone was able to buy one from Nissan off-lease?

My 2015 SV is almost 2 years into my 3 year lease and I'm paying substantially more per month for 12k/yr miles. I'm pretty good at purchase math but apparently terrible at lease math.

At the end, they better just pretty much give it to me as far as I'm concerned. I'm hoping to get it for $5k or less so I can just use the rebate from my next car to buy it out and give it to the kids.

Any more than that and I'm going to tell them where they can park it.

Hi! Are there any updates on the auction listings for Sept? A local dealer has started buying leafs at auction, so I'm trying to figure out how much wiggle room there is in their advertised prices. Thanks!

If I'm reading this correctly, it looks like 2015 LEAF prices actually went up between Jan 2017 and Mar 2017. I'd noticed that the prices on sites like Carvana seemed higher more recently, but thought that maybe it was just because they now have more 2015s and few 2013-2014s. But I guess this backs up what I was seeing, and have been reading about elsewhere (LEAFs being exported to other countries pushing prices up, supposedly).
Thanks for these wholesale value posts!

2015 Leaf prices seem up on Cargurus, they post the history of average advertised prices on their website and today their graph for the 2015 Leaf shows that asking prices bottomed out in February at $10,732 and are back up to $12,465 today.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/price-trends/Nissan-Leaf-d2077

Still, I'm not sure what that means, because the graph shows advertised prices, not the prices that the cars truly sell for. And many Leafs have been for sale for a long time. So maybe it's a fluke, maybe new 2017 Leafs are so heavily discounted now that the highest priced used Leafs linger longer on Cargurus, and thereby increase the average advertised price?

OrientExpress, would you have an update showing what has happened with transaction prices at the auctions since March? Thanks for all your auction posts!

Here is the June results for 20115S/SV/ SL. Manheim has a new presentation format that gives more options for estimating wholesale value of a vehicle now:

2015_LEAF_S_Wholesale_06-06-17.png

2015_LEAF_SV_Wholesale_06-06-17.png

2015_LEAF_SL_Wholesale_06-06-17.png

Thank you OrientExpress! Your post shows that transaction prices at auction are up again, which is in agreement with the higher average asking price in the listings I saw at Cargurus.

I'm surprised! Why buy a used Leaf at over $10k, if new ones are $14k?

OrientExpress, thanks for posting this data, it is very useful! Do you have an update on the latest values?

I am waiting to buy a used 2015 leaf and I see that prices are holding steady and probably increasing. This is very surprising to me given that there are more & higher range EV options on the market now. Or perhaps the 2015 lease owners are still holding on, waiting for the 2018 leaf to become available?

OrientExpress, thank you for posting data on Leaf auction prices. I am looking them all over. At any chance, do you have an update on the latest values for September yet?

Hello OrientExpress,

you are doing an awesome job, thank you for posting this information. It allows to understand better what is the current value of Leaf of different years.

Can I ask you to post the same data for 2016 Leaf?
It's interesting to see how much the value of newer car is dropped...

Would love to see recent 2015 prices! My sense is that the 2016s are not yet flowing back to market.

Back