Buy a used 2013 Leaf S or Lease a 2015 Leaf SV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyJoe0813

So I have been looking at the Leaf for awhile now and I found a local (Orlando, FL) Nissan Dealership that offered the 2015 Leaf SV model with a 36 month lease for $17k (residual of $9600) and the payments would be $179 plus tax. The $17k included the trade in of my old 2007 Ford Fusion with 110k miles. No further down payment was necessary other than the trade in.

I found another Nissan dealership that just got in a 2013 Leaf S with 10k miles and they offered that to me at 9k out the door (also after my trade in.) They offered 0% for 60 months on this purchase as well.

I only drive less than 5 miles back and forth to work every day and I doubt I'd ever even come close to using a full charge on the weekends. My wife has a new Ford Focus we could use if longer trips were necessary.

Any advice on what would be better? I've never leased a car before and I'm not sure I'm too keen on paying monthly payment for three years and then not having anything at the end of it (I know I have the option of buying it for the residual) but I wonder how much better the 2015 is from the 2013. From reading the forums here over the last few days I see that the 2015 has a newer battery that might be better in the long run in the high heat environment that is Central Florida pretty much year round.

It depends on how much range you need at minimum, and also if you like cruise control (the 2013 S lacks it). The 2013 is unlikely to ever have less than 35 miles range, while the 2015 might prove to degrade anyway, just more slowly.

CrazyJoe0813 said:
included the trade in of my old 2007 Ford Fusion with 110k miles. No further down payment was necessary other than the trade in.

I found another Nissan dealership that just got in a 2013 Leaf S with 10k miles and they offered that to me at 9k out the door (also after my trade in.)
That doesn't sound like a particularly good price. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=430825#p430825. However, every market is different and it sounds like used prices have (for some odd reason) gone up since I bought.

cwerdna said:
CrazyJoe0813 said:
included the trade in of my old 2007 Ford Fusion with 110k miles. No further down payment was necessary other than the trade in.

I found another Nissan dealership that just got in a 2013 Leaf S with 10k miles and they offered that to me at 9k out the door (also after my trade in.)
That doesn't sound like a particularly good price. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=430825#p430825. However, every market is different and it sounds like used prices have (for some odd reason) gone up since I bought.

Yea, the more I look at it the less I like what they were offering. Here is an SV model with quick charging, but more miles (18k) for basically the same price. On the base S model I should be able to get it sub 10k before trade in.

http://www.hollerhyundai.com/used/Nissan/2013-Nissan-LEAF-Winter-Park-FL-c2aaf7220a0e0ae832f3cc77625f9ca8.htm

cwerdna said:
CrazyJoe0813 said:

I just found another dealership that has a 2013 Leaf S with the same mileage and they are asking $9495. Taxes + fees add another $1500 or so which would bring the cost to me to about $8k out the door. I'm going to go back to the first place I looked and see what they say if I offer them $7k after my trade in.

Back