2016 Lease deals

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abit

Can someone share any information on 2016 lease deals for the SV, SL models in california bay area?

Never leased a car. Any tips?

Decide if you might want to keep the car, or are just leasing it to bridge the gap to the 2017 Leaf or other EV. If you may well keep it, a low to moderate residual is fine, but if you won't keep it, get the residual as high as you can, and the payments as low.

Have anyone closed a 2016 Leaf lease yet? If yes, please post the lease monthly pricing and down payment.

2016 LEAF SL with Pearl White - MSRP $38,035
After 36 months and 36,000 miles, residual is $12552, which is 33%.

Lease deals will not be very attractive for this car. Even with $9600 lease cash from NMAC, you are financing over $15,000 for 36 months. Assuming no money factor and $0 down, you are looking at about $420/mo. And that's only with 12,000 miles per year.

kubel said:
2016 LEAF SL with Pearl White - MSRP $38,035
After 36 months and 36,000 miles, residual is $12552, which is 33%.

Lease deals will not be very attractive for this car. Even with $9600 lease cash from NMAC, you are financing over $15,000 for 36 months. Assuming no money factor and $0 down, you are looking at about $420/mo. And that's only with 12,000 miles per year.

33% Residual? Ouch! I assume this was a quote you were given? Nissan really needs to address the depreciation issue. No way should an electric car depreciate even as fast as an ICEV!

If the battery chemistry really is fixed, then depreciation will be reduced a lot. Still, that won't be a reality for some time, so Nissan is apparently playing it safe. This leaves me with a Hobbsian dilemma: buy my 2013 with only a powertrain warranty remaining, or pay through the nose for a 2016 with more range and QC (and 17" wheels).

LeftieBiker said:
If the battery chemistry really is fixed, then depreciation will be reduced a lot.
Doubt it. With 200 mile range cars coming, and 150+ mile range from Hyundai how much will a used 107 mile range go for?

Changing subjects:
http://www.boardwalknissan.com/specials/new.htm
Believe that is a 2016 leaf for $240 a month lease, with $2,500 down.

LeftieBiker said:
Why do you think that's a 2016? They seem to still be clearing out the 2015 stock, and the year isn't given.

Correct. If you search on the given stock number (N12323) it takes you to a 2015 model.
http://www.boardwalknissan.com/new-inventory/index.htm?search=N12323

Though their offer on 2015 S/QC seems pretty good. $2500 down and $129 per month.

GetOffYourGas said:
33% Residual? Ouch! I assume this was a quote you were given? Nissan really needs to address the depreciation issue. No way should an electric car depreciate even as fast as an ICEV!

Quote was from Nissan's web site with $0 dealer contribution (dealers can't fudge with residual value- that's determined by NMAC). Yeah, 33% is absolutely terrible. But consider that batteries have half the life of a typical reliable transmission and ICE, and they cost more than both combined to replace. It seems the more recent residuals seem to reflect this hidden future cost rather accurately. Add $5500 to the residual, and you'll probably find it matches up fairly well with a gas car.

33% isn't bad when you compare it to current 29% residual of a 2015 Leaf with a 36mo/36k lease special.

Remember residual is based on MSRP. not selling price. If you buy a 2016 you can expect (~$3k) dealer discount, (3.5k) NMAC rebate and ($7.5k) tax credit. So you already knock $14,000 off MSRP on a new car that has a MSRP of $34k. So your initial net cost is already at 58% of MSRP.

Advertised east coast Lease special on a 2016 Leaf S
$29,860 MSRP
$10,925 manufactures rebate
$8,659 residual (29% of $29,860)

Man, Nissan seems to know that these cars won't be worth much in a couple years. I think I'm gonna buy an EREV and move back to pure EVs when they are all over 200 miles.

pkulak said:
Man, Nissan seems to know that these cars won't be worth much in a couple years. I think I'm gonna buy an EREV and move back to pure EVs when they are all over 200 miles.
It's a moving goal post. If Nissan and others were selling 200 mile EV right now and next year, the new 300 mile ev was going on sale, everyone would simply say the 200 mile ev sucks and worthless compared to the new 300 mile whatever on the horizon. So, some people see it as a numbers game and others see it from a practical usage standpoint. If you had an EV that only did 50 miles a charge, but your daily drive was never half that and you never needed out of state driving, a maintenance free and used, cheap EV is very attractive.

sgd2z said:
In VA, 2016 SV. MSRP 35420. $418/mo all inclusive with 12k miles/36 month nothing down lease.
Is the quote based on MSRP or was that with a discounted sale price ?

On Nissan's website if I "build" a base SV (with 7,500 down payment), I get $462 as the lease price (12k, 3 yrs). For 2 years, it jumps to $649 !!

Basically, Nissan is currently really discouraging 2 year leases and in general discouraging leases. One possibility is they are waiting for '15 inventory to finish and to build up the '16 inventory. I expect Nov/Dec sales to be bad too with Leaf ending the year some 40% down from last year. I'm going to sit tight with my '13 Leaf and see how this plays out.

sgd2z said:
In VA, 2016 SV. MSRP 35420. $418/mo all inclusive with 12k miles/36 month nothing down lease.

For 0 down that seems pretty good. Does this car for which you received the quote actually exist? I could see them changing their terms once the vehicle is in stock for delivery.

Yes the car is in stock. I'm not getting because my wife really wants the around view so I'm waiting for some with the premium package to show up. Or some dealer to get desperate enough to give me a 2015 as cheap as I got my 2013.

Back