Buying help!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dannytrinh

So I've been debating whether if I should get a LEAF for work commuting.

We sell a few LEAFS at my work.
Just need help deciding on these two.

These are BOTH THE SAME PRICE.

One is a 2012 LEAF SV with 11,838 miles.

The other is a 2012 LEAF SL with 23,214 miles.

I figured it's best to get the lowest mileage one but I need a LEAF expert on knowing which is better to buy?
The SL or SV?

Thanks for the help~

What is your location? Depending where you live, either one of those Leafs will need a new battery in a couple years, or sooner. Its best to get the LeafSpy app and a Bluetooth OBDII dongle to compare the battery capacities. How far is your commute?

I paid $12,500 for my 2012 Leaf SL with QC (quick charge) and it had over 23k miles and I love it ! My commute, in the carpool lane mind you, is under 20 miles each way, and I love my car, great AC great radio and I am so happy with my decision. Not gonna lie tho, that 200 mile range Model S Tesla is on my mind !

Sondy touched on it, but the biggest feature difference between the two models is going to be the Quick Charge port, which the SL will have. If there are CHAdeMO quick charge stations in your area, especially in areas you frequent that are about 30 or so miles away from your home, you may want to consider it.

The SL also adds fog lights, auto on/off headlights, a backup camera (a simple one, not the trick Around View used on many Nissans including some newer Leafs), and a small solar panel that is largely considered to be useless.

Of course the big caveat wlll be the remaining battery capacity of each car, and if the car has less than 12 bars you can fairly estimate that capacity, but it's best to use an OBDII adapter and a smartphone app such as LeafStat or LeafSpy to determine degradation. I will echo the statement that depending on price, you may be better off getting a brand new 2015 (leasing to keep the initial payment low, then buying at end of lease if you really like the car).

keydiver said:
What is your location? Depending where you live, either one of those Leafs will need a new battery in a couple years, or sooner. Its best to get the LeafSpy app and a Bluetooth OBDII dongle to compare the battery capacities. How far is your commute?
Yep, OP, can you update your location info via your user name in the upper right > User Control Panel > Profile tab? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.
billg said:
It looks like your company has 3 Leafs for sale. Does that 2011 happen to have a new battery?

https://www.vroom.com/catalog?search=leaf
The prices are all kinda high, at least by SF Bay Area standards, esp. if they resided in TX.

Back