How to get a 2013 SV in/near Cincinnati

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recharge

Looking to buy a used 2013 SV or SL in the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area. Given that there are really slim pickings locally I am ready to travel farther afield to get a reasonable deal. In fact, my very first trip to a local dealer totally turned me off - they still have the car advertised but claimed it had been already sold - maybe looking for a less informed buyer?

But before I go for a out of state car, can anybody point me to a reasonable dealer who could buy locally at auction with a pre-decided markup? I had bought my previous two ICE cars by this route but unfortunately the elderly dealer I knew has long since retired.

If not, then what's the best way to shop over a couple of days in the Atlanta area which I assume is the nearest market with good supply right now?

I'm in the process of working with a local car dealer that is going to the car auctions in my area (central Texas). He asked for a $500 deposit / fee to find the car for me. He then asked me the exact car that I wanted and what options it needed to have. Looks like they have car auctions in my area on Tuesdays and Thursdays so he calls me a day or to before and gives me the VIN numbers of the cars and I do a car fax on them and tell him my MAX bid that I'm willing to pay.

We have been getting a lot of S models coming through, and I want a SV. So I'm willing to wait.

But your best beat is to call around to local dealers until you find a dealer that your willing to work with that will buy a car at auction for you. Some don't do it at all, they want to make the mark up, and finance charges.

Good luck and take your time.

recharge said:
Looking to buy a used 2013 SV or SL in the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area. Given that there are really slim pickings locally I am ready to travel farther afield to get a reasonable deal. In fact, my very first trip to a local dealer totally turned me off - they still have the car advertised but claimed it had been already sold - maybe looking for a less informed buyer?

But before I go for a out of state car, can anybody point me to a reasonable dealer who could buy locally at auction with a pre-decided markup? I had bought my previous two ICE cars by this route but unfortunately the elderly dealer I knew has long since retired.

If not, then what's the best way to shop over a couple of days in the Atlanta area which I assume is the nearest market with good supply right now?

Good luck in Cincinnati. I'm in N. KY and bought my 13 SL (new) this May from a dealer near St. Louis that gave up on selling leafs. I borrowed my friends SUV and rented a tow Dolly from u-haul ($130) and towed it back. Before I found the new one, I was contemplating buying one from off lease only . com as they have some decent prices. ($10k) but are in FL. Your best bet is to buy from somewhere else and tow it back or have it shipped in. Might help to find a fellow forum member that can run Leaf Spy Pro for you. If you find one in Cincinnati area, PM me and I can run it if you give me enough notice.

Thank you both.

hugenbd: I am actually going almost the same way as you suggested - only difference being I am renting both the truck and dolly. Heading to Atlanta area tomorrow, hope that the car I am looking at turns out to be the way it looks online.

I do have the Leaf Spy Lite app on my phone and Konnwei 902 ELM. My last try on a local Leaf did not go successfully - the device paired successfully on bluetooth and showed up as an option on the Leaf Spy menu but did not actually pull any data. I forgot to note down the error that popped up in Leaf Spy then. Hope it works tomorrow!

More updates to follow, fingers crossed for a successful outcome.

recharge said:
Thank you both.

hugenbd: I am actually going almost the same way as you suggested - only difference being I am renting both the truck and dolly. Heading to Atlanta area tomorrow, hope that the car I am looking at turns out to be the way it looks online.

I do have the Leaf Spy Lite app on my phone and Konnwei 902 ELM. My last try on a local Leaf did not go successfully - the device paired successfully on bluetooth and showed up as an option on the Leaf Spy menu but did not actually pull any data. I forgot to note down the error that popped up in Leaf Spy then. Hope it works tomorrow!

More updates to follow, fingers crossed for a successful outcome.

Any problems with Leaf Spy or towing the car back?

No problems, it all went smoothly, including the $29 CVG-ATL Frontier airlines ticket . :D

Took eight hours to make the run on the way back with the car on the dolly, took my time and there was light traffic to boot.

The "new" Leaf is now in service :cool:

Forgot to mention - Leaf Spy worked perfectly with the Konnwei KW902 reader, after I figured out that the little button on the Konnwei had to be pressed to switch it on after plugging into the car's ODB port. Kind of hard to see the power and bluetooth lights when plugged into the port without an extension cable.

Back