Purchasing an extended warranty? request information and help.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nerys

I have my 2012 SV. freaking love it. but I am growing concerned. the 3/36k expires september 25th. I inquired about an extended warranty. I can get another 72k (taking me to something like 106,000 miles) of bumper to bumper.

I am worried about "the small things" for example 2 door locks already (squealing) what if the AC fails? you still can not get junkyard parts for these cars (I wish would kill for a cheap drivers seat to put in my metro) ie they are EXPENSIVE to fix "if" something goes wrong.

I plan to keep the car another 3 years as a daily driver (till I can get one of the 200+ mile range models coming soon I hope) having bumper to bumper take it to nissan you fix it if anything goes wrong coverage would really add to piece of mind.

its just over $2200 IIRC.

I read somewhere about people getting different prices at different dealerships. is this the same thing? IE "can" I shop for this warranty or was that something else (I can't locate the thread) entirely???

any suggestions and or information would be greatly appreciated.

Extended warranties imo are a waste of money. I have never had to take my Leaf to dealer for repairs. These cars are pretty bullet proof. $2200 will buy a lot of repairs.
Nissan of Santa Rosa had real cheap warranties if that the way you want to go.
Good luck.

The expensive parts like the motor, charger, inverter are covered for 5 years/60,000 miles by Nissan, so likely 2 out of 3 years you plan to keep your Leaf you will be covered.

downeykp said:
Extended warranties imo are a waste of money

I tend to agree with this statement. I bought 2 over last 10 years, at decent prices, and would have spent the same or less if I just paid for the repairs directly even at dealership prices. It does give you a peace of mind and you may get lucky with a major repair needed after the factory warranty is over, but I'm taking my chances next time. I didn't buy one for my Leaf too.

nerys said:
its just over $2200 IIRC.

Way too much. Buy it from one of the dealers that sell them online. I bought 6 years / 75,000 mile Security+Plus Gold Preferred through Vaden Nissan out of Georgia for $740. I could have also gone with 5 years / 75,000 miles for $620, or 5 years / 60,000 miles for $600. But note that these were the prices from around two years ago so you shouldn't expect them to be exactly the same.

I personally like having the extended warranty. Even though the car has proved itself a lot over the last 4.5 years, there are still a lot of very expensive components on it, and any one could be an oddball failure. Or not. ;)

As previously mentioned, the drive-train warranty is 5 years / 60,000 miles already. I keep having to remind myself of that. And the battery capacity warranty is 5 years / 60,000 miles too. And the battery workmanship and materials warranty is 8 years / 100,000 miles. So all you'll be getting from your extended warranty is the stuff covered under bumper-to-bumper otherwise (and this does exclude a few items - exterior trim parts for one).

$740 is a freaking no brainer. sign me up. I sent a message to vaden nissan will see what they say.

The door lock is $350 to fix. I need another one fixed. another $350. if both of those had occured say 2 months from now. that would pay for the warranty.

$2200 I an hesitant in extreme. $740 I am in or anything close to that.

I expect to get 3 years tops from the warranty (I will hit the 106,000 miles LONG before the extra 8 years)

it looks like I will be putting around 30,000 to 35,000 a year on the car.

nerys said:
it looks like I will be putting around 30,000 to 35,000 a year on the car.

When you put that many miles/year on a car, I can't imagine why any extended warranty would be worth it (you will "run" out of it before it would have expired). I bought an extended warranty (< $1k) when my Leaf was new (and for something like 7 or 8 years) because I was concerned about parts availability, etc., but have never used it once. Having said that, I now hope to drive my Leaf long after the (extended) warranty expires.

Yeah vaden quote me $1641 for 3 yr 36k silver. Ouch.

I just know i tend to abuse the small things with my mileage and usage. Usually i hit ebay amazon or pick and pull for what i need. Not teally an option yet on the leaf.

I dont think i can justify 1600 to 2200. Under 1000 absolutely but need the 70k to get me to 100k miles. By then i will have a new one so less to worry about.

Another option. If i have the will power to do it and stick to it is to pretend to buy the warranty. Ie put the money asside and use it to repair the car if something breaks.

I don't think extended warranties usually make sense. I suppose if you pay dealer parts/labor for every little thing, it might pan out. But, if a dealer is charging $350 for a door lock, and they list for about $30-40, it just doesn't make sense to go to the dealer in the first place, if you have some mechanical aptitude/desire. The only time I've been to a dealer for service in the last 15 years was for a clutch (didn't have time to do myself), and for free recall work. In this age of the internet, everything I ever needed to know, I learned on the forums or with the factory service manual. I even managed to do a head gasket on a Land Cruiser. We do have a 3 car family, so if anything ever goes wrong with a vehicle, I have the time to repair it without feeling too rushed. After the Acura airbag recall, they did a "complimentary" full inspection on my MDX and I got a recommendation for repairs to the tune of $3500, I fixed everything on the list for about $600. Sorry for the rant...

If you do get one, I would really want to know how they cover things like the motor and the battery.

Actual parts costs are what concerns me. I also do all my own work most of the time.

Diagnostics ie "figuring out" what is wrong so you know what part to even get also concerns me.

Easy on my geo metro. Not so sure about this critter.

What does my 7/70,000 cpo warranty cover?

I have 5 cars. So while downtime is not a concern i also can not afford both my car payment and a fuel bill. In fact that is how i could afford this car at all. The bill each month is smaller than what i was spending in fuel each month $300 car payment $90 insurance premium increase so $390 a month versus $480 to $520 a month in fuel minimum.

nerys said:
I have my 2012 SV. freaking love it. but I am growing concerned. the 3/36k expires september 25th. I inquired about an extended warranty. I can get another 72k (taking me to something like 106,000 miles) of bumper to bumper.
Hmm, OP, are you sure that the 72K warranty "extends" it from your mileage when you buy it, or if it's just from 0miles (i.e. when you bought your leaf). Does anyone know definitively how long a "72month/75K" security plus warranty actually runs for: I feel like it would run to a total mileage of 75K and total 72months ownership, like it says here in the sample contract https://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/nissan/pdf/extended-service-plan/SecurityPlus-Gold.pdf

The dealer specifically told me it was from the end of the 3 year 36000 mile warranty so it would extend my warranty to 106,000 miles I ended up not buying it because it was just too expensive

nerys said:
The dealer specifically told me it was from the end of the 3 year 36000 mile warranty so it would extend my warranty to 106,000 miles I ended up not buying it because it was just too expensive

Dealers tend to lie. The warranty will state the end date and odometer max coverage.

Every other manufacture extended warranty states mileage and time limited from first day in service. Example, my recent 96 month, 75,000 Lexus warranty on my 2008 SC430 stated 75,000 odometer reading and end date November 8th 2016. Factory bumper to bumper was 4 yrs/50,000 miles so it really only extended it 4 yrs and 25,000 miles.

Had the contract written out. I was to be covered to 106,000 on the odometer or sep 25 2022.

Alas i decided that $3200 or $3600 or whatever it was was simply to much.

Back