Brand new Leaf listed below $15k??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lamar578

Hi there,
We have been interested in a new car and the 2015 Leaf caught my eye. I was browsing a local dealership (Autobarn Nissan Evanston) when I saw multiple leafs for below $15k. Like this one:

http://autobarnnissan.com/Chicago/For-Sale/New/Nissan/LEAF/2015-S-Orange-Car/33916861/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a 2015 S for $13,035??

I emailed the dealer and haven't heard back yet, anyone have any ideas on how they are listing them like this? If you look at there inventory there are multiple cars like this around $15k. I'm lost and would appreciate some insight.

Thanks.

Follow the asterisk after the price:

"*Pricing of vehicles on this web site does not include options that may have been installed at the Dealership. Pricing may include current promotions, incentives, and/or bonus cash. Monthly payment calculator is an estimate and does not include tax, title, license or doc fees. Dealer doc fee $168.43. Please contact the Dealership for latest pricing and monthly payment. Published price subject to change without notice to correct errors or omissions or in the event of inventory fluctuations. Price good for 2 days only, please contact store by email or phone for details."

I assume that this is an S model Leaf, and that after government incentive and Nissan incentives (probably including VPP, for which you may not qualify), that is the price - before dealer installed options that probably take it back up to near $20k.

lamar578 said:
Hi there,
We have been interested in a new car and the 2015 Leaf caught my eye. I was browsing a local dealership (Autobarn Nissan Evanston) when I saw multiple leafs for below $15k. Like this one:

http://autobarnnissan.com/Chicago/For-Sale/New/Nissan/LEAF/2015-S-Orange-Car/33916861/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a 2015 S for $13,035??

I emailed the dealer and haven't heard back yet, anyone have any ideas on how they are listing them like this? If you look at there inventory there are multiple cars like this around $15k. I'm lost and would appreciate some insight.

Thanks.

no time to post a comment, on my way to the airport to catch the next flight to Chicago..

I think it might be a mistake or a error in some calculation on their website or, very unlikely, a great deal, it's chicago afteral, it could be a hook to pull us in.

LeftieBiker said:
probably including VPP, for which you may not qualify), that is the price - before dealer installed options that probably take it back up to near $20k.

i was wondering which other rebates where on offer.. looks like they combined every single one they could find that no one could possibly qualify for plus the car could never leave the dealership without a bunch of fees and add ons. good catch!

If it was a base model S without the charge package and they factored in all of the rebates and dealer discounts, that could be doable (minus taxes and license). I bought a 2015 S with the charge package and with all of the discounts and the rebates ($2600 dealer discount, $3500 Nissan rebate, $2500 CA rebate, $7500 Federal credit) the price was just under $17K including tax and license. So I guess if you took out the charge package, that price would be doable, but there's likely a lot of fine print such as... The state rebate will take 2-4 months to process, the federal credit is only applicable if you pay enough in taxes to deduct it, and also the taxes are charged on the car before the state and federal credit are factored in. You'll have to come up with the money up front, or finance it, and then you'll have to wait for the rebate and credit. The tax credit won't be back in your bank account until March/April of 2016, so there's a few catches there. All of this set aside, I would not recommend buying a base S without the charge package.

Definitely not a typo as not every vehicle has the same discount. But an SL for $20k? I told them I would fly down there.

I'm guessing they are pulling a Tesla, including all incentives (including the program in IL that just got suspended) and possible gas savings. Very deceptive.

I tried chatting with them, but it's a DealerTrack based service, so they had no clue what I was talking about, and were mostly interested in my e-mail address and phone #.

Looks like they have been doing this forever, based on the LEAF specific Yelp reviews.

This dealership uses deceptive advertising. For the Nissan Leaf they advertise the price *after all the possible credits and discounts* which not everybody qualifies for.

This is illegal and they should be reported to the Illinois Consumer Fraud Division.

Richard K.
Comment from Richard K. of Nissan of Evanston
Business Owner
6/25/2014 Hi Kurt,

Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention. We are completely transparent with our customers and is why we have the disclosure that the discounted pricing takes into account all manufacturer discounts and rebates. If you have any concerns with any pricing on the LEAF, will be more than happy to discuss this with you. At your convenience, please respond privately with your preferred contact information or contact me directly.

Thank you,
Richard Kirkpatrick
General Manager
847-425-7711

DanCar said:
Shows $13K for me.

Huh? On my iPhone, it comes up $30k, on this desktop, $13k, guess I should always shop with the desktop.

So, Fed is $7.5k, what's IL, 5 or 6K? And the rest Nissan discount?

With the eNV200 teasers of late on Facebook, maybe the 2016s are coming soon with 48kWh and they want to move some inventory.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
DanCar said:
Shows $13K for me.

Huh? On my iPhone, it comes up $30k, on this desktop, $13k, guess I should always shop with the desktop.

So, Fed is $7.5k, what's IL, 5 or 6K? And the rest Nissan discount?

With the eNV200 teasers of late on Facebook, maybe the 2016s are coming soon with 48kWh and they want to move some inventory.

I doubt we'll see a higher capacity leaf until 2017. The 2016 models will likely be the same as 2015 with a few minor changes. I think the price drops are just starting to reflect the impact of a slight decline in EV prices due to lower gas prices as well as a ton of lease returns on earlier models.

Back