Claiming California rebate on lease extension?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katieandbrian

Hi,

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if I extend my current 2 year lease with NMAC, can I claim the $2500 rebate from CARB? I couldn't find any information on their site about becoming eligible with a lease extension. Any experiences?

Technically no, since there is an 18 month statue of limitations to apply from the date of initial purchase or lease...

katieandbrian said:
Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if I extend my current 2 year lease with NMAC, can I claim the $2500 rebate from CARB? I couldn't find any information on their site about becoming eligible with a lease extension. Any experiences?

A few more replies to this same question here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16954" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't try since I upped to a 2015, but it can't hurt! Somehow it seems as though one should be allowed to do this. :)

Yes you can. The 18-month rule applies only to leases done after May-2014.

I am also in process of extending the lease by 12 months and got a confirmation from the CVRP that I can apply for it.

Hth
Amol

aat167 said:
Yes you can. The 18-month rule applies only to leases done after May-2014.

I am also in process of extending the lease by 12 months and got a confirmation from the CVRP that I can apply for it.
Yes, I also got confirmation and posted about it at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=418252#p418252" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Yay!

It seems pretty likely I will do the same as you.

CVRP is no longer allowing rebates for lease extensions, they said the following when I inquired:

__

Thank you for your interest in the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project. Vehicles that do not have an original lease term meeting the 30 month ownership requirement are not eligible for the rebate. Unfortunately, this means that vehicles originally leased for 24 months are not eligible even with a lease extension or lease-buyout.

__

Thank you for following up with me. Unfortunately, the lease date of your vehicle does not alter the requirement that the original lease term needs to be 30 months. As far as the forum information included with your email: We are now held to stricter program requirements and can only accept applications for original lease terms of 30 months or more.

^^^
Oh crap! :( I'm going to reply back to the email they sent me saying yes.

If so, ugh. I'm not likely to buy my car at the discounted residual or extend my lease then. I haven't called NMAC w/my final decision yet.

Frankly, I think this is as it should be.

Alexcuse said:
Thank you for your interest in the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project. Vehicles that do not have an original lease term meeting the 30 month ownership requirement are not eligible for the rebate. Unfortunately, this means that vehicles originally leased for 24 months are not eligible even with a lease extension or lease-buyout.

Alexcuse said:
Good luck, I hope they started the cut off just with me and will not renege on people they previously replied yes to.
They replied to my email VERY quickly and I got the bad news. Apparently, CARB made a decision this week which resulted in a change of stance.

What you posted is correct now. :( I guess I'm hosed. I figured I'd have until April 30th, which is when NMAC offers to me would expire. I should've jumped on it the day of! :(

I'm about to send another email to see if CARB is willing to at least make exceptions for those they said yes to, like me. I have a feeling, it'll be a no...

update: The CVRP (CSE) person gave me the contact info of someone at ARB they said I could try appealing the decision to, for my case. I dropped that person an email Friday morning but got an out of office auto-reply. They'll returning Monday. We'll see. (crossing my fingers)

update 2: The ARB person replied. Unfortunately they weren't swayed and still said no. From their reply, I doubt there anything I can do/say to get them to change their mind.

Oh well. :(

Back