Lease return with body damage - strategies?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egizzi

I've never leased before. Have 1 year left on my 2013 Leaf, so I'm planning ahead

3 minor body damages to date:

1) Scraped rear bumper (no dents, was side scraped)
2) Front driver's side fender with parking lot damage (thanks mystery idiot!). Basically a small dent
3) Driver's side door with small chips in edging from door being opened and making contact with a stucco wall (thanks me, I thought I was being so gentle)

Aside from hoping that I get into non-serious accidents that are not my fault involving the said car body parts, questions I have:

1) Should I get them repaired before I return the car in a year
2) How much negotiation exists from the NMAC side. Will they gouge me?

I remember when I bought the car, I was offered a $275 a year surface protection plan and I balked at an additional $800 for 3 years. Ah, Crystal Ball!

Definitely wait until you get your pre-return inspection before committing to any repairs. NMAC may not charge as much for the excess wear and tear as you might expect.

You might be able to get away with #3 by adding some moulding to the door edge, which is available at any auto parts store, to hide the chipped paint. I would also do so to the passenger side door so that it doesn't look so obvious that you're trying to conceal something. If it doesn't work, it's only a few bucks out of pocket.

BTW this pamphlet tells you what NMAC's standards are in regards to what is considered "excess" wear and tear: http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/owning/Wear_and_Use_Guide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As far as negotiation, supposedly if you lease another Nissan vehicle immediately (doesn't have to be a Leaf), NMAC might give a small (say, $500) allowance towards any excess wear/tear charges.

I just had my lease return inspection done today (right on my driveway!), and I was expecting to get hit with high fees due to a couple of dents I got a few months into my lease. Turns out they're all covered!

I was pleasantly surprised by how much they waived on my first one (as being "covered", or non-excessive), too. Then there was about $400 in excessive wear that they would have charged me for, but yes, leasing another gave me $500 allowance to put toward those fees, so I ended up not paying anything.

( It did take a few months to clear up a snafu involving a $1000 fee for a "missing" EVSE, but that's another story. )

Update: I leased a Bolt. Me like.

I just had the lease inspector here.

I put white door edge guards on both front doors.

I had a dent on the wheel well
I had a big scratch on the bumper
I had excess wear on the wheel covers

Total: $394

I was expecting more than double that.

Goodbye, Leaf. It was great to drive you for 31k miles and 4 years. Perhaps we shall meet again in 3 years time when your range is at least 240 and your price continues to be the best value.

Back