extending a lease more than once?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljwobker

Does anyone know if it's possible to extend a lease more than once? Before my initial 24mo lease expired in October I extended it by 6 months into March. I'm now working temporarily on the other side of the country, and the logistical hassle of getting the car inspected before the new maturity date in March is substantial. If I could get it extended by another six months that would make my life a million times easier... but thought I'd ask to see if anyone here had thoughts before calling NMAC.

I wasn't asked to have an inspection to extend my lease until May. My understanding is a third party to you and the dealer does the inspection at the end of the lease. I think the inspection can be done anywhere in the US.

Turnover said:
My understanding is a third party to you and the dealer does the inspection at the end of the lease. I think the inspection can be done anywhere in the US.

This. The lessee is to call a toll free number which is NMAC's third-party inspection service. They come to you to do the inspection and give you a report which shows what (if anything) needs to be corrected and how much you will get dinged if you don't.

You then make arrangements with a nearby Nissan dealer for the lease return. This does NOT have to be the original selling dealer. That dealer then does another inspection before taking the car off your hands.

LeftieBiker said:
See my answer. If you extended it less than one year, you may be able to do it again, at NMAC's discretion, for the balance.
We recently received paperwork from Nissan asking if we want to extend our lease for a year. Is it possible to extend beyond a year?

No, one year is the limit.

dm33 said:
LeftieBiker said:
See my answer. If you extended it less than one year, you may be able to do it again, at NMAC's discretion, for the balance.
We recently received paperwork from Nissan asking if we want to extend our lease for a year. Is it possible to extend beyond a year?

ljwobker said:
I'm not asking about the inspection. I'm asking if I can extend a lease (again) that has already been extended once.

You also mentioned about the logistical difficulties of having this inspection done as the reason for wanting to extend your lease, due to moving far away. At least a couple of us (perhaps more) were under the impression that you thought you had to bring the car back to same dealership that you got it from.

TomT said:

dm33 said:
LeftieBiker said:

I asked the same question and NMAC said they might offer additional extensions at the end of the first 1 year extension. You can't plan on it however.

TomT said:

dm33 said:
LeftieBiker said:

Guys, I was contacted last week by NMAC about my 2013 lease, which is up this July. They offered to extend it TWO YEARS at the same rate if I was interested, I asked them to send over the paperwork and I'd take a look... could be a good deal since I'm at $198 per month... timing could work out good since there's a decent chance there will be a lot of choices for EV's available summer 2017!

Interesting! I'm paying $149 for my 2013 SV, and would like the same opportunity in May. Leasing a Smart ED after three years might be a bit cheaper, but not that much, if at all, after the new down payment.

Answering my own question here... I called NMAC today and the agent said "they were running a promotion" and would allow me to extend my lease by an ADDITIONAL 12 months, beyond the six months that it had already been extended. She also said that this extension was not an obligation and that I could return the car at any point as long as I gave them a month's notice.

This sounded almost too good to be true (I'm paying $199 / month) so I had her repeat the terms again. And I have a tiny bit of skepticism until I actually see and sign the paperwork, but they seemed to know what they were talking about so if this is the case it's a great deal for people who are in situations similar to mine:

* a low monthly payment
* a car that's still in good shape and perfectly drivable
* battery/range still in good condition (I'm at 30k miles and just lost my first bar...)

Great!
What about warranty coverage? After 3 years you're responsible for repairs. Tires will need replacing. Isn't carwings free for three years? Roadside assistance goes away too right? Run out of charge no longer a free tow.

I'm in the same boat. $205/mo. Car is doing great. Lease is up end of May. Want to time it to get the double range vehicle in 2017. Debating new 2 yr lease but worry we won't get a decent deal, or extend the current vehicle. We're almost at 20k miles and battery capacity is 92% which I'm very happy with.

The warranty is a concern, but I've had very little trouble with my Leaf; hopefully the 12 volt battery will get replaced under warranty, and that will be about it. I alreday have three sets of tires for the car, as I didn't like the Ecopias, and also got snows.

It has occurred to me that Nissan is doing something Smart, here: by extending existing 2013 leases until 2017, they are likely to prevent many 2013 Leaf lessees from "bolting" before the extended range Leaf comes out that year. The 2013 is a big enough improvement over the first generation (except in quality control) that there will be far fewer people disillusioned with the car, and many more willing to lease a better Leaf.

dm33 said:
What about warranty coverage? After 3 years you're responsible for repairs.

You will be responsible for any repairs not covered under the 5 year/60k powertrain warranty and battery degradation warranty, and the 8 year/100k battery defects warranty. So some repairs you would be responsible for.

Tires will need replacing.

Lots of folks have had to replace tires in two years or less. I'm a bit lucky in that my tires have at least 6 months of life left on them, but I doubt they will make it to the 3 year mark (when my lease ends). By extending my lease by another year, I'll be able to use up more of those new tires I'll be forced to buy.

Isn't carwings free for three years? Roadside assistance goes away too right? Run out of charge no longer a free tow.

Unless Nissan does something about it, CarWings will become useless when AT&T shuts off 2G service...that is supposed to happen at the end of 2016. If you have AAA or other roadside assistance, you can always use that (just not as much as you could with Nissan's service).

dm33 said:
...Isn't carwings free for three years? ...
Nissan did consider charging for Carwings.
But at this point in time is continuing it at no cost.

When ATT shuts down 2G, probably Nissan will sell a new communications module and at that point might charge for Carwings.

I wonder how aggressive Nissan will be pushing these extensions. I would think that right now it's very very hard to sell a LEAF. Gas prices are very low (by the recent memory that drives purchasing decisions) and there's a huge gulf in features and performance between the still-not-quite-ready-for-primetime LEAF and the unaffordable-to-most Tesla.

For example, right now if I was forced to turn in my LEAF, I'm not sure I'd want to lease another one. It's a great little car, but if people think that in less than two years there will be something meaningfully better, it's gonna be really hard to justify signing up for 2-3 years.

Back